Sell or Trade Update

Guest glewis

I have had my 89 for sale or trade over a year now. I was in need of a sedan,as I have been unable to find a buyer I traded my work car for a sedan for my wife & am now driving the Reatta full time. I am not unhappy about this it just means I will have to work a few more years to pay for the car I bought my wife.I was truly disappointed that I had put so munch money in my coupe trying to make it perfect $14,000. The  only offers I had were trades both with 200000 miles or a motorcycle. At 80 I don't want to start riding one of them.I have loved the car from day one,but it failed a couple ( alternator,& brake hose) times on my wife & she lost all faith in it. Just for your information I was going to put it in an auction,but was told unless I wanted to sell it for $4,000. don't list it with us.I was offering the car for $6,000. or BO or trade.When I bought the car I felt it would be in my garage until I die,so fixing it up seemed the right thing to do,Not a good investment but I still love driving it & will continue to fix or repair as time goes bye. Just turned 87,000 mile. Happy Motoring  from Charlotte NC George Lewis  

George,

With your Reatta you have learned a lesson about cars that we all learn at some point in our lives.... "What you put into a car has no relation to what you can get out of it when you decide to sell." I have learned that lesson several times during my life but it never seems to sink in. Like you, I have way to much money in my Reatta. Thankfully I'm not needing to sell it.

• Like 1

Like your stock broker will tell you,  keep it and go for the longterm gain.

While we have a large group of Reatta owners on this site that love their cars,  The Reatta is not selling for big $$..... If you had 14K to spend on a Reatta, there is always one coming up for sale with low mileage and in great shape for less than your $14K number.    You can buy a 50K convertible for that amount...and the convertibles will probably increase in value faster than the coupes. 

Just drive the car and enjoy.

I have felt the same way too, George.  There are times that I just want sell the Reatta and eliminate the worry about windshields, parts availability, and ABS systems and just drive a newer, faster, safer, reliable car.  Then the sun comes out and the top goes down and I can't ever imagine living without my fun little roadster.  I'd also miss those interactions with others who ask "Who made that?" or just getting a thumbs up at a stoplight.  I came very close to selling a while back but came to my senses before any money traded hands.  I can't imagine not having a Reatta in the garage.

Agree, you really have to consider that most money you spend just brings it back to stock, it doesn't add money so much as keeping it from reducing. Not sure what the future will bring other than higher prices so happy with the herd I have now.

No plans to change anything though when a certain American retractable's prices drop to mid teens will get interested.

Like your stock broker will tell you,  keep it and go for the longterm gain.

While we have a large group of Reatta owners on this site that love their cars,  The Reatta is not selling for big $$..... If you had 14K to spend on a Reatta, there is always one coming up for sale with low mileage and in great shape for less than your $14K number.    You can buy a 50K convertible for that amount...and the convertibles will probably increase in value faster than the coupes. 

Just drive the car and enjoy.

Not to make the OP more terrible, but the average selling price for a convertible with 50-60K miles is less then $8,000. OP has it right regarding his coupe.  It's a $4-5K car.

Best thing to do with a Reatta is take care of it and drive it until you can drive no more.  Car won't appreciate anytime soon.

Thanks for your comments,I should point out I paid $5,500 for the car it had 63,00 miles drove it 150 miles home.Then I started replacing the mechanical parts that I felt should be replaced to make it more reliable. i should have waited until they failed. 

I use both the Red [summer] and Black [winter] for work. At 50 cents plus mileage allowance from the IRS and a little bit of selling parts my cars are mostly free. I'm closing in on age 60 and hope to drive the wheels off the two and one day end up with just the vert as our second car. Hopefully I can get another 10 years out of the Red with the Black being a parts car if needed. 

At 70 I think we can get by with one daily driver and keep the 'vert for the second car.

I paid more in just the purchase of my wife's last two cars [2004 Chrysler 300 bought 7 years ago and replaced last year with a 2010 Buick Enclave] then I did for the purchase of my 3 Reattas including parts/labor.

The Enclave is roomier, more comfortable, faster, and has more modern features, but we still take the Reattas. It is still my vehicle of choice.

The Reatta is a "unique" car, you either get it or you don't...

the previous owner I bought mine from had just replaced the windshield with a new one.

with that, and a couple other things he done to it just prior to the sale, he took a pretty good hit when I bought it, unless he got it for a couple grand or less

Guest Corvanti

George, it's fairly rare for "classics" (yes, all Reattas are now considered that (over 25 years old), to recoup expenses from new parts, etc.

i "lucked out" when i sold my '89. i got about 25% of my parts $$$ back - not including my "free sweat labor", plus my buying price. ;)

i still think they will go up in value somewhat as mid-age guys start looking for a entry level classic to play with - even decent "daily drivers". the best way for this to happen it to get them out to Car Shows and spread the Reatta word!

I traded my work car (kia) for a 2011 Ford for my wife to drive,I will drive the Reatta to & from work I still love to drive it> Thinking I might put it in Charlotte auto fair Cars for sale to see what might come up?