Wood Grain replacement panels for 66 Riviera Console

dbaker9323

My 1966 Riviera has the deluxe bucket interior with full console. The wood grain is "ok", but I would like to either refinish it (if possible) or purchase new panels which match the original color.  I am seeking suggestions on both approaches.  THANKS.

David Baker

ROA 14360

If you can use an xacto knife, ruler, sand paper, a pencil and some spray adhesive......go to a local lumber yard and get a sheet of veneer in a wood grain you like and cut your own.  I did my 65s dash/doors over a few hours each night for two or three nights and have a custom job no one else has.....and I did it.

• Like 1

Another consideration: While I was researching console veneer for my 63, I found an amazing array of wood grained laminate products made by Formica and Wilsonart. I'm talking hundreds of different wood types, grains, colors, textures etc. They don't look plasticky and cheap like you'd think. You can go to the Home Depot and they will have samples from either Formica or Wilsonart. Either way, this stuff looks damn good, is easy to use, is durable and importantly it won't shrink and move due to temperature. PRL

• Like 1

I've seen cars that have used these products and unless you've been told, you'll have a difficult time telling the difference.  Or if you have a very good friend who's a wood worker and custom painter, he can make you a set from 1/4" solid walnut and finish them to a mirror finish.

Edpost-93305-0-15982800-1454692378_thumb.jpost-93305-0-03109600-1454692379_thumb.jpost-93305-0-38041500-1454692414_thumb.j

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Someone used to make a kit with precut panels that were high quality. Seems like it was Larry Daisey from Rancho Riviera but not sure. I haven't seen them advertised for a long time but maybe he still has a set laying around. They were peel and stick also which made it easy.

http://www.rivparts.com/meet-larry.html

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1