'37-46S Sidemounts?

evildave2

Some time before I owned the car some bodywork was done to the passenger side fender. Now I'm getting the car ready for paint and notice the well on the fender that had work done is almost 3" forward compared to the other fender..

Should the fenders be symmetrical or not? Thanks Dave

Dave,

They are equal on my '40 series 90.

I see no reason to stagger them, and have never seen that on any car at the many shows I've attended.

Not to say it's never been done, but I think I would revisit your body shop, and ask what was their thinking.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Thanks Mike, that's all i needed to hear. I went ahead and removed some more old paint and a lot of bondo from behind the well. Very sloppy body work, globs of old weld and even some brass.

Ben, The fenders are identical except the position of the well. Appears to be the original fender.

I'll cut the well out and re-position it, equal to the other fender.

Thanks all. Dave    

and thanks spell checker

Check the mounting brackets....they should be centered with the well so the spare will sit in it properly.    Until someone with a 37 post something, we may not know the answer.

The 39 Special had a problem with side mounts and the doors were limited in opening....did they place your right forward to allow more front door movement?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ya'l

Finally finishing the tirewell relocate. I have some pics but not sure how to attach, I'll give it a try. They might be out of order?

I didn't think to get a side by side until I cut the well out. If this works there's more to come. If not I need help. Dave

post-155621-0-64907600-1455632929_thumb.

post-155621-0-51835100-1455632569_thumb.

Looks like it works, is this the standard size or could they be larger? Thanks Dave

OK, I see if I tap on the pic it turn larger. I'll add more SOON. Dave

Edited by evildave2 (see edit history)

I should start this topic over, but it's already scrambled so I'll just keep scrambling. 

I first noticed the position of the well when I was preparing the fender for a couple coats of sanding primer. Anyway sometime back in the dark past (before welders & measuring) somebody put a well in the fender with lead, weld & brass (gobs of it). The other fender looks like it had never been touched since the factory. I copied it to rebuild the other side.

The main reference point on both fenders is the large hole (where the wires go) under the parking light.  Bottom line, the well needs to move back about 2.5"

Cut the well out and started fitting it match the good side. There was not enough metal around the well to fill the gap and bend tabs. I tacked  metal to the inside the fender then welded the outer edge later.

post-155621-0-07515200-1455763359_thumb.

post-155621-0-85101000-1455763840_thumb.

post-155621-0-49593900-1455764041_thumb.

post-155621-0-58494600-1455764328_thumb.

The last picture is the underside before filling the gap on the side. 

I finally got a sealer coat on this one, time to start the other side.

Thanks for the input & your patience Dave

• Like 1