Sign in to follow this  
fordmerc

oil pump removal

How do I remove the oil pump from a '41 120?

At the moment, removing 2 bolts isn't  making anything happen.

What am I missing?

I am aware of the problems of aligning the oil pump with the distributor

You are missing a rubber hammer.  There are 4 visible bolts, two go through the cover to the block, and the other 2 hold just the cover.  Someone has put some gasket cement, or oil has petrified, between the block and the pump.  when removing the pump, know that the gear will be riding off the cam, so pull gently once loose.  If you want to remove the distributor first, that eliminates one final friction point. (of course specifically noting rotor position as you know...)

Edited by flackmaster (see edit history)

OK,

I do see the four bolts. I loosened the two large ones which I think are to the block.

I interpret the above to mean that removing the two bolts to the block will allow me to remove the pump (carefully) with a little persuasion. I do have a persuader in the form of a rubber hammer.

Correct.  Its just not "cooperating" with your cautious, gentle, respectful approach.  Not a matter of proving who's boss, but its gotta come out...usually a couple raps with the rubber hammer will unseat the gasket.