Aluminum Cylinder Head Repair

Chris Coon

Has anyone had any experience with MidWest Cylinder Head ? Or any other company that does extensive crack and erosion repair ?

I'm working on a Nash Healey and the head is in rough shape (a crack or 2 and a few eroded areas on the surface). Pretty much impossible to find a replacement, I believe

Chris

Chris, while I am not familiar with Midwest Cylinder Head, I know that there are several companies that do aluminum block and head repair. It seems like you don't have too many options and if their tech people assure you that they can repair it, then have it done. Are Nash Healy parts really that rare, have you advertised looking for one? What year and model do you have?

Guest Bob Call

The Nash-Healey was built on the Nash Ambassador drive train including B-W overdrive, body designed, and car assembled in England, by Donald Healey. Healey designed and fitted the aluminum head to the Nash engine. Healey is best known for the Austin Healey. I have a 1954 AH 100.  Engine parts for the Nash engine may not be real common, but, you should be able to find most parts.  Worst case if the aluminum head is un-useable you could go back to a stock iron head.

With modern technology aluminum repair is not the near impossible task that it once was. It wouldn't hurt to ask Midwest if they will give you a customer reference. Then call the customer and ask about their experience with the Midwest repairs.

If the aluminium alloy is heat treated, welding may cause softening in a critical area. For cracks , stitching may be a better proposition. As for corrosion damage on the surface, particularly around cooling water circulation holes, there may be an excellent remedy that few would think of.. I used to see one of Metco's field engineers fairly regularly because I had a constant run of work with their flame spray equipment; and the state electricity authority was about 20 miles further on. On one occasion the usual man was accompanied by another who was visiting from interstate, who was older and very experienced. One job that he discussed was a quite badly corroded cylinder head of a 3 litre 6 cylinder Maserati. He used a self-bonding stainless steel machineable powder thermospray coating, with oxygen/acetylene fuel gas. I do not have the data sheet for Metco 444 in the book I have at hand. Metco 447, which is a self-bonding molybdenum/nickel/aluminium powder may be a good choice. It has excellent machining characteristics. It may be worthwhile consulting someone who applies these coatings with plasma spray equipment.