69 Aussie Dodge Phoenix, AKA Plymouth Fury111

G'Day everyone, You may have noticed my previous posts but here is another question for you.

On my Rh inner fender (your curb side) there are the numbers etc:-

8ER6 HA 4002 WARI and on the firewall same side are stamped the numbers DE 6 H41 and then nearby in larger numerals 89

Can anyone please decode these numbers?  (I realize they may also be peculiar to the then Chrysler Australia) Can anybody throw any light on this?

Although Chrysler assembled 400 or so per year of these cars between 69 -73 info and non mechanical spares are scarce. For instance so far as I can find an australian workshop manual for info does not exist?

Thanks,

Rich

post-137424-0-87411300-1454111810_thumb.

Edited by trickydicky43richard (see edit history)

Howdy again. I need help with this urgently to register the car in my State of Queensland, is the number shown the vin/chassis number or options paint/trim codes etc

According to my sketchy Aussie info it has a "Body Number" which is shown as a stamped number (89) on the firewall ??

Or where do I find the chassis number or Vehicle id Number (VIN)

Thanks

R

P.S I realize my Dodge is an Australianized RHD  Fury111 so American info may not apply! but here's hoping

Surely you can use the  DE 6 H41 number on the firewall for the body number to register it.   

The number is entered on the  roadworthy certificate form which is signed by whoever does the roadworthy and the all that Queensland Transport will do is feed it into the computer with the engine number to make sure it isn't stolen.

They may ask where you purchased the car and if you happen to have a hand written receipt with that number on it so much the better but no big deal if you haven't got one.

The last old car I registered I bought on ebay and had sitting in the shed for about 10 years with no paper work.  When I finally decided to register it, It took about 10 minutes while the computer checked it out and when it couldn't find it listed as stolen the redgo was issued. 

Queensland transport do not even inspect/check the car anymore and you don't have to bring the car with you to register it.  They put all the onus on whoever signed the roadworthy certificate because they do not want to be held accountable if any goes wrong

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

GDay David AU, At last some help, interestingly it was registered in SA with Vin/Body number 89 as stamped on firewall per dealer delivery docs, so perhaps I should use this. My safety Cert Guy is nervous with this only two number "Body"number. There is a lengthy number/letter combination on the inner fender but these can be bolted off~!!???

David I spoke to the QLD rego office and they said you should bring your car just in case it has to be inspected, even the Rego application papers say bring your car, HMmmmm

Rich in Qld

If you have previous Australian registration papers just produce those. Provided the engine number in the car corresponds and the body number 89 appears on the body you don't need to start confusing public servants with other lengthy numbers which may or may not be specific to that car. 

GDay David AU, At last some help, interestingly it was registered in SA with Vin/Body number 89 as stamped on firewall per dealer delivery docs, so perhaps I should use this. My safety Cert Guy is nervous with this only two number "Body"number. There is a lengthy number/letter combination on the inner fender but these can be bolted off~!!???

David I spoke to the QLD rego office and they said you should bring your car just in case it has to be inspected, even the Rego application papers say bring your car, HMmmmm

Rich in Qld

Hi jetback, Your advice is very sound and I am of the same opinion but the technician who has to inspect the car and provide a "Safety Certificate" is edgy with such short numerals and no letters.

I will pass on your thoughts to back up my same opinion, Thanks your help.

Hi also to Keiser,I think my car is a bit old for those modern vin numbers behind the screen thingy's.

G'day tricky,

That body number looks very much like  my 1969 Chrysler (Aust.) Valiant which is based on the Dodge Dart of the same period.

Your Phoenix is DE 6 H41 - 81     my Val is VF 8 H29 -  ###

DE is the series code

6   is a V8  (and 8 is a six cylinder model)

H   is high price model

41 is four door

81 is your build number

This full code would be your VIN for QLD transport, which how my Valiant is register with QLD transport.

Edited by maok (see edit history)

Richard does your vehicle have a compliance plate?  If so the chassis number on this plate should match the chassis number stamped on the body.  If it doesn't match the mechanic should not issue a roadworthy certificate but refer you to the police or Qld Transport to start the process to obtain a surrogate chassis number (VIN) from Qld Transport. 

No examination was requested as original South Australia registration papers together with the motor dealers documents were sufficient with (and if required I had clear photos on my mobile phone of the vin and engine numbers )

It did not happen, but I had no qualms if they wanted to inspect the car, it is almost as new with 56,000 original miles in full working order and with all matching and very legible correct numbers!

I guess I was worried about nothing (just my anxiety I guess) 

Over and out,

R

I've read that these were CKD (complete knock down) cars that originated in Canada. So the VIN maybe  different than USA cars?

Except for the 1965 models, Canadian-built Chrysler products used the same VIN layout as in the US.   The North American VIN for a 1969 Fury III, which is what this car is, looks like - PM41e9R100001, where the "e" is for the engine digit, "9" for the model year (1969) and the 100001 is the sequential production number.  "R" was for the assembly plant, in this case Windsor, Ontario.

Of course, as the car was shipped as a Plymouth CKD unit and assembled in Australia as a Dodge, the North American VIN would not work.  Thus the unique Australian VIN.  For this car, the "81" would be referred to as the sequential production number.

The "DE" can be read as "D" for Dodge and "E" for the Engineering Department code for the model year (1969).

• Like 1