Futuristic 1934 buick

bob duffer

Personally I never cared for the Bubble tops, but this was built a long time ago, and was an artist exercise of what the FUTURE might have in store.

Like lots and lots of ART, many don't care for the artists works, but I'm sure the artist/builder had lots of fun creating it.  Some of the most desired/expensive art pieces aren't loved by many. 

What have you created, some might have fun picking at it too....... 

I have seen cars at shows in the past where wheels were different on each side.

Dale in Indy

Darryl Starbird created some outstanding cars, opinions are always present, and that's a goood thing. With that said FEW have the talent he was blessed with.

As a artist, I hear these opinions often, and as stated I can deal with such, 99 percent of the negative comments come from those that can't/haven't done anything but take a car apart, clean it up,and assemble. A fun thing to do, and a nice thing, but not creative.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

When a beautiful thing is destroyed to 'create' something else, I have a hard time appreciating the 'creativity'

I agree ! Hopefully the artist or designer has a second job. He turned nice into nasty! Wayne

When a beautiful thing is destroyed to 'create' something else, I have a hard time appreciating the 'creativity'

Apparently you are only happy if everyone shares YOUR definition of "beautiful".  :rolleyes:

What makes GM stylists the final arbiters of beauty?  Keep in mind that GM has created LOTS of cars that I wouldn't consider "beautiful".  Do I like everything Starbird has done?  No, but I can appreciate the work and thought that went into them. 

Same ole same ole, if it is something YOU don't like, then it trash.

Most of Darryl's creation were LOVED by scores during that time period, thousands STILL do.

We don't know WHAT shape the car was to start, Pabio Picasso's pieces were/are loved, and hated by many, but doesn't take away his wonderful talent, IMO........

Darryl Starbird was born in 1933, has been honored time and time again, HE DOESN'T NEED A SECOND JOB. He beats to a different drum, what's wrong with that?????

I say again, let's see what you have created, just might be that someone will find it NASTY, maybe....hehe.

I'm sure you know, "anyone can restore a car, takes a real man to cut one up" Hey, I don't believe that, but let those that want to BEAT to their own drum. I love restored/original cars too, but I enjoy seeing other creations as well,  what a strange automotive world it would be if everyone did the same thing.  

It's America, each to his own, that's why I respect your opinion's, just respect mine.

Long live Darryl,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Well said Dale.

To restore a car to original is like putting a puzzle together. It already been cut out.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that. But personally I like to put something together that isn't supposed to work.

I feel that lets me exercise my brain better than just putting it back the way that it was.

Same ole same ole, if it is something YOU don't like, then it trash.

Most of Darryl's creation were LOVED by scores during that time period, thousands STILL do.

We don't know WHAT shape the car was to start, Pabio Picasso's pieces were/are loved, and hated by many, but doesn't take away his wonderful talent, IMO........

Darryl Starbird was born in 1933, has been honored time and time again, HE DOESN'T NEED A SECOND JOB. He beats to a different drum, what's wrong with that?????

I say again, let's see what you have created, just might be that someone will find it NASTY, maybe....hehe.

I'm sure you know, "anyone can restore a car, takes a real man to cut one up" Hey, I don't believe that, but let those that want to BEAT to their own drum. I love restored/original cars too, but I enjoy seeing other creations as well,  what a strange automotive world it would be if everyone did the same thing.  

It's America, each to his own, that's why I respect your opinion's, just respect mine.

Long live Darryl,

Dale in Indy

My art is land surveying. I'll be happy for you to follow along and see what I do at work.

I can respect your opinion. 

Disagreement is not disrespect. 

I don't think you have disrespected me by saying Starbird's work is NOT ugly. 

Starbird's work is creative. I don't appreciate his creativity.  

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)

Here we have the same old argument that we have had over and over again for ages. Those who are proponents of modifying original designs cry foul when their results are criticized. They claim that their artistic integrity has been impugned and that we critics lack artistic vision and imply that we are overly rigid. Then they go on to assert that we are all secretly jealous of their skills. So let me make this clear once again, what the rest of us are saying is that they have dreadful taste and it looked far better before they got their creative hands on it!!!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Guest Cajun Ty

I'm new here but can see a difference in people's opinions and not every design is what everyone wants these are customized rides and I can remember seeing cars like this and others at World of Wheels shows back when. One other builder thought out the box and his cars are iconic and so was the man George Barris but I guess his work was stupid too

No, his work wasn't stupid and don't be so touchy! I'll try again from a different approach. The Darryl Starbird Cadillac pictured earlier is filled with admirable craftsmanship. I'm sure that there are many elements of it that I would wonder at. And, yes, I likely wouldn't be capable of any of it. But while Mr Starbird would have every right to claim that the car is his artistic expression, it's only art to those who see it as such. Others have every right to see it as something other than art. It's truly an individual's reaction to an object that defines whether it is time poorly spent, craft or art. We can look at the same thing and have different opinions as whether it's art or not. I can declare that it isn't, which is my opinion. You can declare that is, but not that I'm stupid. It's really pretty simple.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

If you look at the show card, you can see the original Buick sedan that he started with

Thank you, I stand corrected.  It's apparently not a fiberglass body, just the top.

Therefore  I have to admire the workmanship, if not the design.  However, I do like the 1934 Airflow influence in the fender skirts.

I guess seeing more 1932 Ford Roadsters & Coupes than Ford Motor Co. ever made, makes me skeptical.  (Don't fact check that, but it seems that way when you go to a Street Rod Meet)  Fiberglass is a wonderful thing to create the illusion of something it's not.