Need help on a four stall garage

Thanks for the link..

I just need a picture so I can tell them what I see as my new garage..

Google was not much help... Two deep and two wide to the left..

Not sure if a Morton building was cheaper or just put up a kit from the lumber store...

On that questions, it might help to talk to your local government authority.  There might be zoning that limits the size & type of building. 

Also ask about taxes BEFORE you start building.  I was looking to add a small building to some property that I have and the twp was going to TRIPLE my taxes.  Shelved that idea and bought a 40 ft shipping container for storage.  No tax increase because it is not permanent.  Crazy.  Trying to improve the property and community and would be penalized forever with increased taxes.

I want it to  look  like  the first picture I posted.. and the Lay out of the second picture with out the doors on the left side.....  It will look like a two stall with a wing off to the left..  I need to make a trip down to the local government.. They told me they would help with set backs and all the other stuff..

Yep the taxes will go up...

Are you going to build it yourself or contract someone to build it for you?

When my wife and I were considering building a new house, we could not find exactly what we wanted from any of the local builders since most only wanted to build one of their style homes.

I found a house on one of the home plan websites that we liked the looks of the outside, but not the interior plan.  I ended up buying some home planning software and designed the interior the way we wanted it, with the look and dimensions of the home plan website house except I added a third garage bay.  This program also let us place windows, doors, archways, stairs, kitchen cabinets, sinks, bathtubs, showers, furniture, etc, etc, in the floor plan and look at 3D pictures of the interior.

I found a builder at the local builders show who would also let me be a subcontractor to install the bathrooms, entire kitchen, flooring and exterior siding.  They took my picture of the house exterior and interior design and created the actual engineering drawings used to build the house.

Here is the results shown the first Christmas we started living here:

post-106358-0-35958900-1454343088_thumb.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nick,

We went thru all that, and found a solution.

We went to a builder that built about a dozen different floor plans and advertised "we build custom homes".

They said, pick a plan of the size you want and then tell us how to change it to your custom home.  $=up charge.

We picked a 1700 SQ Ft 3/2/2 single story plan, then said.

Cathedral ceilings, $.  Take out two bedrooms and 1/2 bath,- $.  Enlarge the garage from 2 to 3, $.  Build it over an unfinshed basement

with roughed in plumbing, $.  Pull the cornér in 5' and put a 10'X30'corner deck on it, $.  Add 13 windows (We're on a Mtn top with views in 240 degree diections), $.  Add live dormers as sky lights, $,  Add a metal roof, $. Add a corner office, $.   Add a front porch, $.  Now build this 1 bedroom house with 1 & 1/2 baths, we'll finish the lower level ouselves someday.

Signed a contract in May and moved in for Christmas 2012.  We were here everyday of the build, living in our 2000 SF garage in our motorhome.  The garage was my design too, with 3 10'+ wide doors, (1 for the RV the other 2 for cars) a full bath, guest room and a lift, plus 2 carports.  

In the 3 1/2 years since moving in we''ve finished 1620 SF downstairs and insulated and heated the garages for year round garage time and lanscaped the place.  Requiring the purchase of some additional motorized units.

Now I can play with cars anytime I feel like it.

In the end, this worked out much better cost wise than having my original plan built.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:25 PM, nick8086 said:

I can do 1293 sq ft.. I make a trip down to the local government.. Now how many cars can I fit in this??   

My guess is 4?

Most of the cars are 133 sq ft..

And if you build it tall enough you can put in two stacker lifts to make six......and you'll never have to lie on your back again. It's also the cheapest way to add car square footage, square footage they can't tax

5 hours ago, helfen said:

And if you build it tall enough you can put in two stacker lifts to make six......and you'll never have to lie on your back again. It's also the cheapest way to add car square footage, square footage they can't tax

Absolutely true on all accounts.

On 2/11/2016 at 0:25 AM, nick8086 said:

I can do 1293 sq ft.. I make a trip down to the local government.. Now how many cars can I fit in this??   

My guess is 4?

Most of the cars are 133 sq ft..

Sounds like a good project!  Every hobbyist can benefit from more space.

"Nick," you probably know that a typical parking space

is 10 feet by 20 feet.  Therefore, a 4-car garage would

need to be at least 40' x 20'.  The layout of the doors, too,

affects how the space is used.

Cars could be fit in a smaller space.  But on the other hand,

most people want some EXTRA space for storage and for

working around the car.  You could get 5 or 6 cars in your

quoted 1293 square feet if the space is used efficiently,

but it depends on how much extra space you really want.

Mr. Helfen's idea (posting #15) to make it tall is excellent.

Allowing vertical height for future lifts will indeed enable you

to double your garage space.  Be sure to make your door

tracks high also.  You could build a 4-car garage and eventually

store 8 cars in there!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2016 at 1:38 AM, nick8086 said:

I found a kit for 7 K.. Now I need to work on the cost to put it up..

The cost of your $7000 kit, you must know, is just a small

beginning.  Be careful that it's not full of low-cost and low-quality

materials, especially if you're shopping for a low price but

looking for a high-end architecturally designed building

as you showed in your posting #1.  

Naturally, a kit excludes many things:  footings, foundation wall,

floor slab, truss bracing, electric, etc., maybe gutters and downspouts.

Is the siding vinyl (plastic), cedar, or fiber-cement?

What is the thickness of aluminum wrapping of the trim--32 mils, 19 mils, or thinner?

Are the garage doors, man-doors, and windows of the budget type?  Probably. 

Is it designed for the correct snow load for your area?  I have found the 

International Residential Code dangerously deficient for snow in my region.

Someone may say he uses Pella windows, but they may be their lowest grade, the "Pro Line."

I think you'll find little advantage in buying a "kit" for a building.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The back yard has a bad slop to it..  They will have to raise the back 3-4 feet..

Two contractors  Not sure if we it can be done..  The 7k was for a 28X28 Building Kit....

It looks like I will go for a 24 X 30 .. This should hold 3 cars.. I can not spent the 50K to do it right..

My wife and me want a walk in shower .. The shower head may run 2k..  We are looking to buy a new house everything has to get done..

Not trying to keep up with Jones.. It is 100K less to buy old and add this stuff than buy new.. Land is very high and they do not like junk in the yard..

"" no covenants ""  big plus ... in this old House... showeer.JPG

showerc.JPGshowerb.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 7/15/2016 at 0:12 AM, nick8086 said:

My wife and me want a walk in shower .. The shower head may run 2k.. 

Nick, the shower you pictured would be from a high-end house.

If you are trying to build a garage on a budget, you shouldn't expect

a shower like that in a garage.  A fiberglass stall would be more typical

for the garage you're thinking of.

Don't feel bad.  People see pictures in magazines and don't realize 

that those are usually the top end.  But budgets and reality have a

way of coming together eventually.

22 hours ago, nick8086 said:

It just put one in.. 4250.00 .. You can have a nice one in a old home also.. Yes this is the things you see in the 500k 900k home..

I like to have a nice shower and a place for my cars... The rest I do not care about...

I have a shower like pictured but my home is nowhere in the price range you talk about.  The pebble stone floor was only a couple hundred dollars more than plain tile.  On a bathroom remodel, that is a small percentage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could maybe get by having a 20 X 20 space for 2 cars but little room to work around them.

Here is a sketch with the car parking space 20 ft wide and 24 deep...that allows for longer vehicles and/or some working space in front or back.

With your request for a "L" shaped garage, I added the L making it the same size.

That gives you room for 4 cars plus the 24 x 24 shop space in the corner, the problem is that adds up to 1536 Sq Ft.

You can move the blocks around....you could even cut the 24 x 24 space on a diagonal  and that would get you to 1248 but that may mess with your roof line.

The second layout add 4 feet to each side  for more room to work and open doors... that adds 96 sf to each end.

Cutting the 24 x24 on a diagonal cuts reduces it to 288 sf.......... for a total of 1420 sq ft

If you could justify keeping the roof full size over the corner section (marked with X ), that could be future expansion and a place for garden equipment etc....walls could be added at a later date.

garage.jpg

garage 2.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1