Paint Advise Sought

hddennis

I come here for the vast wealth of knowledge of many things pertaining to restorations in general and I hope some of you can help with my latest problem. To save time, money and effort I painted my 1917 Maxwell with Valspar interior latex. It saved a ton of money and worked perfectly. I'm now adding extra directional signals and lighting from the teens and twenties to make it safer and more drivable. My problem is the lights are in original black paint and stand out from my military Olive Drab and I'd like to paint them as well but hate to destroy the original black paint.

I'm wondering if a coating could be put on the lights that would protect the original black but allow me to cover it with Olive Drab which would be removable later if need be?

This sounds crazy but I would think movie studios must do this with vehicles they borrow for films and then return to the owners in original condition.

Any ideas?

Howard Dennispost-78299-0-54671500-1453925937_thumb.j

If it doesn't peel off first, latex paint can be removed with alcohol (slow) or oven cleaner (fast but you have to be careful) without harming the original finish. Don't sand it or do anything just paint it.

You might experiment with wiping the surface with oil or wax before painting but that would probably make it fall off right away.

Incidentally if the army had that car back in WW1 and added lights or accessories I doubt they would have painted them. They would most likely have left them black.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The other thing that will dissolve latex is dishwashing machine detergent (not detergent for hand washing, but the type you would use in your machine). You put some of the detergent in a bucket of water and leave your item in it overnight. By the next day the latex will have softened enough to be wiped off. On the other hand, you might possibly contact an outfit like Sherwin Williams and explain your needs. I once saw some workers prepare a house for use in a movie. They altered the trim colors for their temporary purpose, but later cleaned it all up quite quickly and returned the house to it's original colors. It was some time ago, but I think that they applied something to the surface in advance of applying color. Maybe even a properly worded Google search would be some help to you, but at the moment I can't think of a suggestion in that regard.

Have you heard of that plasti-dip paint? From what I know about it (very limited) you can paint something with it and then peel it off without affecting the surface underneath. It might not come in the colour you're after but you might then be able to put your paint over the top of it? Just a suggestion I'm sure there are people for more knowledgeable as to whether this is a viable option.

Cheers,Tristan.

"Incidentally if the army had that car back in WW1 and added lights or accessories I doubt they would have painted them. They would most likely have left them black."

During my time in the Marines we painted everything that didn't move Olive Drab, over and over and over again!

This is being restored as a civilian vehicle drafted into WWI service, something I never knew happened till I started to research it. With that in mind my scenario is it would have came with the lights and the lowly private assigned to prep it for his unit would painted it all just like every other vehicle in his unit.  "IF" I was going for museum accuracy it wouldn't have any glass on it at all, windshield, headlights and all would have been removed. I choose to operate it this way for my own safety  on today's roads.

Howard Dennis