Sign in to follow this  
RodneyUK

UK Rodney 1956 Special prop-shaft repair

Female end of prop has turned on pinion shaft. Can anyone supply me with new female end or advise me as to where I can obtain them? Is male pinion shaft size on 1956 one size only, will other years fit???

I would be grateful for any assistance anyone can offer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If the female end is gone I think you need ti fix the pinon male as well.Hard and expansiv job,a friend of mine did it a cople of weeks ago,cost him arond $1000 to have new splines on  the pinion,and a new female end.He had to unharderning the pinon(remove the bearing) before the job,and then hardening the pinion again for 60 houers.Only 1956 Special-Century will fit to bolt on.

Try to contakt this guy in Sweden I think he has imported a Century 1956 and are selling it in pices,that will fit on you 1956 Special(bolt on) 1956 Super-Roadmaster will not fit.

sb.bjorklund@gmail.com

Leif in Sweden.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

Thanks for the information Leif. The prop is currently in an engineering shop and I'm waiting to hear from another shop that can do wire cutting of splines for prop. End pinion is in good condition and I have a spare diff. Hope to find out more tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have not been able to make contact with the car breaker via the email address you gave me, many thanks all the same.

Kind regards

Rod Pegg

Try this number 070-5853606 if you don`t get an e-mail answer from him, I think you need to try +46705853606 ? Here is the car he was waiting for from USA.

Leif in Sweden.

post-76677-0-29407900-1454450773_thumb.p

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

You may also want to try   www.frenchlakeautoparts.com  in Minnesota. They have a lot of 50's Buicks, are serious about parts retrieval, and sales.  I was there two years ago and can tell you that they had substantial inventory of 50's Buicks on display for parts, and probably have a few dozen more in the unkempt areas I never got to.

Also, upon checking my Parts book dated Dec 1961, I do not believe you will be able to find an end cap containing the spline joint.  You will be looking for a drive shaft.  Not the entire rear axle carrier/ torque tube, just the drive shaft contained within.  Further you will need this from any model of the Special/ Century series.  Super and Roadmasters are different. Probably just length but the book doesn't say, it just gives two different part numbers.

In case you are looking for a new drive shaft, the correct part number is 1388712. 

Also, it is a one year only application, so it must be from a 56.

Good Luck

Hi Leif, thanks for your reply. I've made contact with the importer you recommended.  I'm still waiting for prices, don't think he's started on it yet. I've gone ahead with John D's recommendation, they have one but won't export  to UK. Fortunately I have a friend in Texas who will ship in on to me.

Thanks again Leif and thanks too, to Airy Cat and John D for your help and information. The advice given from all of you has been really helpful and I hope to get the Buick up and running again soon.

Kind regards

Rodney UK

• Like 1

1957-1958 do not interchange without a lot of job.Nothing will interchange(bolt on)other than 1956 Special and 1956 Century.

Leif in Sweden.

Hello Rodney,

the only thing which is interchangeable from 57 to I believe 61 rear axle is the differential assy. This will fit the 56 rear axle housing. Drove a year long a 57 differential in my 56 housing until I got mine repaired.

But this will not help on your problem. The propeller shaft fits only from 56 Special or  Century.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Hello Thomas,  prop shaft  arrived in Texas and my friend has cut off diff end of prop and it should be on its way to uk. Interesting comments on your disc brakes.

Kind regards

UK Rodney 

Well you wont believe it the prop end arrived Friday.  A  chap four units down, has just acquired a wire cutter same day, wants to play with it, so he is going to make me a new prop end, fit it all up and weld and balance it for £175. Well, I have a spare now, offered it up to pinion, nice fit !!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           uk rodney