25 Std - looking for gas cap

bradsan

Does anyone have a spare original gas cap they might want to part with?

I need one for a 25 Std but 24-28 6cyl all have the same part number, 170806, according to the Master Parts Manual.

I have no idea what an original is supposed to look like other than the one Bob's used to sell as an exact copy, before they ran out of stock, had a polished aluminum  cover with a knurled edge.

Apologies if this should be posted in the Buy/Sell Forum but I thought I'd have a better chance with this audience.

Send me a PM if you can help out and what you want in consideration for same.

Thanks

Brad

Does anyone have a spare original gas cap they might want to part with?

I need one for a 25 Std but 24-28 6cyl all have the same part number, 170806, according to the Master Parts Manual.

I have no idea what an original is supposed to look like other than the one Bob's used to sell as an exact copy, before they ran out of stock, had a polished aluminum  cover with a knurled edge.

Apologies if this should be posted in the Buy/Sell Forum but I thought I'd have a better chance with this audience.

Send me a PM if you can help out and what you want in consideration for same.

Thanks

Brad

Not sure if it's aluminium or just nickle plated but it has a knurled edge and a small hole a couple of mm across. Internally it has a butterfly like piece of metal to secure it into a notch in the filler spout 

Up to 1925 they were nickel plated brass then 1926-28 they were aluminum. There were several aluminum ones at Hershey. The seller insisted that they were Cadillac oil filler caps and was insisting on well over $100 each. We could not convince him that they were Buick gas caps. He has had them for many years. I was able to buy a 1926-26 spare gas tank with a dented aluminum cap as the one I had, the steel locking lugs were rusted away.

Thanks all., especially to Leif for the illustration!

Larry, I'll start looking for Cadillac oil filler caps at the next swap meet. I'm guessing , like a lot of parts, the nickle plated brass for 24-25 was simply superseded by the later aluminum ones. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a brass one but would take aluminum in a pinch.

I'm told on the 27 Buick yahoo site that Bob's repro was pretty accurate unfortunately, he isn't interested in a run of 1!

Brad

Attached are 2 photos of the gas cap from my 25-25.  It has not been cleaned up yet, so it may be in the condition that you find one.  The cap is kind of shaped like a mushroom.  Inside it says "The easy on cap co" and "Cleveland", but this may be hard to read depending on any gas build up.  The ID is 2.295 inches and the OD of the knurled largest diameter is 2 1/2 ".

Hugh

post-153681-0-11241100-1454023152_thumb.

post-153681-0-70456500-1454177524_thumb.

Edited by gr8success (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Brad,

My cap is aluminum.  There is a steel washer just under the rubber gasket that is larger in diameter than the rubber gasket.  The ID of the steel washer is the tabs.  The tabs and the part with the words stamped in it are brass or copper.  It should shine up once I get to this part.  

Hugh

Couldn't help myself. Started Googling Easy-on Cap Co to see if there was one out there.

From the Encyclopedia of Cleveland, automotive history can be fascinating!

STANDARD PRODUCTS CO. - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History

STANDARD PRODUCTS CO. , a division of Cooper Tire and Rubber Co., was founded ca. 1930 and is a world leader in the manufacture and production of rubber and plastic parts for the AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY. The company was founded by Dr. JAMES SIMS REID†, a physician-turned-inventor. Reid's first invention for the automotive industry was a much improved gas cap, which he produced and marketed through his own Easy-on-Cap Co., founded in 1921. He sold this company to the Eaton Axle Co. (see EATON CORP.) in 1928, and immediately started experimenting with steel tape for use in the automotive industry. The experiments led to patents for flexible window channels to ease the opening and closing of automobile windows. Reid founded Standard Products Co. primarily to manufacture these greatly improved window channels of perforated steel tape, felt, and rubber, but Reid continued to invent many other products.

Standard Products merged with another Reid company, Reid Products, founded 1930, in 1946. The enlarged Standard Products Co. moved its headquarters to 2130 W. 110th St. Although automotive window channels continued to be its principal product, Standard soon added metal stampings, a "new, revolutionary" rotary automobile lock, and seals for commercial refrigerators and freezers, as well as seals for the residential door and window industry to its line of products. In the post-World War II period, the company developed electrostatically flocked rubber channels and weatherstrips, which later became standard in the automotive industry. The company built a product development facility in Dearborn, MI, so it could be centrally located to the engineering departments of its largest customers. By 1954, all cars made in the U.S. contained at least one of Standard's products, and some had as many as fifty. In 1962, James R. Reid, jr. assumed control of the company from his father and ushered it through a period of continued expansion that lasted into the 1990s. Standard organized a Canadian subsidiary by purchasing four plants in Ontario during the 1960s, and in the following decade Standard acquired several additional companies, including rubber companies. Through its Oliver Rubber subsidiary, Standard became the second largest U.S. manufacturer and supplier of tread rubber and related tooling support to the tire retreading industry, with annual sales over $124 million.

The company continued to grow and prosper. In 1992, Standard Products acquired Standard Products Industriel- a French-based licensee for Standard Products- for $123 million in cash. The acquisition, which gave Standard Products access to European customers, was the firm's largest acquisition to date. By 1994, the company was one of the leading suppliers of complete sealing, trimming, and vibration control systems to the worldwide automotive industry. Standard Products also had , two other divisions: Holm Industries, an appliance seal maker, and Oliver Rubber Co., a producer of rubber for retreading truck tires. Through 39 facilities in North America, the United Kingdom, and Europe, the company generated, in fiscal year 1994, sales over $872 million. In 1995, with sales approaching nearly $1 billion annually, Standard Products moved its headquarters to Dearborn, Michigan, to be closer to its main customers. In 1996, the company's sales reached $1.08 billion. In 1997, James S. Reid, jr. was replaced by Ronald L. Roudebush as Chief Executive Officer and Vice Chairman of the company. In 1999, Findlay, Ohio-based tire maker Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. purchased Standard Products for $757.4 million in stock and an assumption of Standard's debt. A combination of manufacturing and licensing arrangements has allowed Standard Products to be involved with almost every automobile on the road. Its products appear on more than 100 car, van, and light truck models manufactured worldwide.

Brad, Interesting story. 

Larry also made an interesting comment about Cadillac oil filler caps.  Attached is a link to a photo of a company making Cadillac oil filler caps for 1928-1933 V8 Cadillacs.  Very pricy, but if you are on the hunt, you may find your cap in the Cadillac parts.  I have no idea what the dimensions are for the Cadillac cap.   A Buick gas cap may very well be in their pile of stuff.     

Not a good search engine, but to see the cap, click on Home, Index, oil, select the blue arrow at part number 2041

http://fm22.triple8.net/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=PartsDatabase04-12-07&-loadframes

Hugh

Edited by gr8success (see edit history)