Very costly License plates ???

bob duffer

It is hard to imagine that a matched set of 1934 Michigan plates are that rare.  I'm sure having the original window sticker with the plate number on it is quite rare but how much of a premium is that worth?  Plus they're repainted instead of original... 

They don't look repainted to me, but I agree...way overpriced except maybe to that specialty collector that feels the sticker and bag add substantial value.

Scott

They don't look repainted to me, but I agree...way overpriced except maybe to that specialty collector that feels the sticker and bag add substantial value.

Scott

The other pair of plates that the seller has look to be repainted.

Oops. Guess I missed that in the description. The picture looked to be original paint.

You mean I've been devaluing my coin collection by using the buffer???

Many years ago I was offered a Phantom III RR for a very reasonably price... dictated by the fact that it had a rod knock. I was tempted, but decided I wasn't going to wrestle with a PIII engine (a complicated V12 with a reputation for very expensive difficulties). The car had the registration number FLY111 and the original owner had been a WWI flying officer. The car was sold, and the new owner sold the plate for slightly less than he paid for the whole car... and then hired me to fix the engine.

Its all relative   come to taxachussets my truck is $450 for a stupid 2 cent sticker !

In my books anything 1933 or 34 is big bucks.  So here that 1934 $700 plates will be

a vanity plate, and you pay $100 for one foolish sticker.  v/s a regular antique plate

are $50   And these crooks, example my plate on a 85 Lincoln handed down from

my grandfather being 9000's  4 digit number issued around 1906 my father said, and

I gotta pay $100 again for a sticker. They got no mercy.  You reading this Gov Baker?

Edited by GK1918 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Also,hasn't it been discussed that you can't legally refinish license plates as it's considered defacing?

Just like taxes, insurance and other items, license plate and vehicle registration laws (plus rules about titles, transfer) vary from state to state.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1595_52364-205712--,00.html

Michigan indicates Authentic License plates registered to a Historic Vehicle "must display the correct colors for year of issuance". 

But no where does it indicate the plates cannot be repainted. 

Slightly off topic, but I went to an "estate sale" for a man who refurbished license plates.  I was thrilled to find a North Carolina 1965 plate in decent shape that was already primered for $5. My husband and I painted it to the colors in '65 and gave it to my father in law for for Christmas for his 1965 Econoline pickup.

P1060760_zpsopmnapy2.jpg

Why is it such a big deal to have a matching set? Weren't they issued in pairs? If they were saved back in 35 you would expect both to be saved. Also,hasn't it been discussed that you can't legally refinish license plates as it's considered defacing?

The practice has often been that when the plates were expired, guys would nail up a license plate on their garage wall as some sort of decorative souvenir . No need to be redundant, so the second plate was thrown away. That also explains why the one plate that survived ended up with so many extra holes.

I bought and resold a collection of about 4,000 license plates around 10 years ago. The license plate collectors: https://www.alpca.org/ really didn't care about pairs. Pairs were desired by owners using Year Of Manufacture plates for their personal cars.

The guy on Ebay has sold a couple but $60 is his high sale so far. I remember getting a couple hundred for a Mass plate with a cod fish on it and maybe a little more for some early leather ones.

I think if you wait a few years there should be some former New York State politicians with some license plate making experience that could do a real professional restoration.

People do notice them. I took a ride up to Utica for a Buick/Cadillac get together in my '60 and got the "Hey, those are Utica plates". Then I was at a small town post office and the Post Mistress told me a guy was looking my '94 Impala over. He walked in the door all smiles and said "Neat license frame!" It says NCC-1701.

Oh, I asked my Daughter if money from selling old license plates would be appropriate to use for her sorority dues. That was a dumb question.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

Here in Oklahoma an old plate like YOM cannot be registered if refinished even though it is the correct colors. It must be original finish. So, the 52 plate I registered has a little rust on the edges and the white letters and numbers are a little faded and the black background is dull. 

Here in Oklahoma an old plate like YOM cannot be registered if refinished even though it is the correct colors. It must be original finish. So, the 52 plate I registered has a little rust on the edges and the white letters and numbers are a little faded and the black background is dull. 

Not that I don't believe you, but where is that requirement indicated?

Here's the OK YOM reg form:   https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/763.pdf

And attached is info about the registration process.  

post-76993-0-67275800-1453935987_thumb.j

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)

The practice has often been that when the plates were expired, guys would nail up a license plate on their garage wall as some sort of decorative souvenir . No need to be redundant, so the second plate was thrown away. That also explains why the one plate that survived ended up with so many extra holes.

I did a bad thing when I was young. In our garage were sets of Michigan license plates nailed to the open studs. They started at 1917 with the little medallions on them and went to about 1971. I gathered them all up before I moved out of the house, but decided that I only needed one of each, so I gave the other set to a buddy. Never saw them again and wish I had kept the sets together. I think I still have the set of one each.