Plans for spring?

DAVES89

As we are in the doldrums of winter I am wondering if anyone has any special projects for their Reattas once the weather allows us to get our cars out of storage.

My first project will be to remove the taillight on the 'vert and do a restore using Spar varnish as I decribed on another post.  I also plan on using a metal polish [Wenol] on my 7 spoke chrome wheels to get them looking great. 

So when I am done with those projects it will be hopefully a summer of trouble free driving.

Anyone else?

I intend to do some work on my taillight as well. It's leaks on one corner and gets a small amount of moisture inside on one end when I wash it. I'm going to pull it out and after masking it off, I'm going to try spraying the parts that should be sealed with "Flex Seal" that is advertised on TV. They have started selling it at AutoZone. The salesman told me he thought it would be great for sealing cracks in the sealer between the taillight parts. I also will clean up the lens and seal it. I have a couple of spray cans of Night Shades to darken the taillight. I've not decided for sure if I will use it or not.

I'm also thinking of removing or gutting the catalytic converter. I suspect it is probable clogged partially. The car still runs good but is is original to the car and probably has seen it's best days. I'm hoping it will give the exhaust note a little more rumble but not too much. If I remove the pipe from the manifold I will grind out the excess material from the manifold at the same time.

Does anyone know if the bolts that hold the exhaust pipe to the manifold a prone to breaking or do they usually come off easily with generous application of penetrating oil for a few days in advance?

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Daves89,

I am curious about the Wenol?  Will that work on original wheels.  Don't these have a coating which according to what I see about Wenol, that has to be removed first.  I have read numerous posts about improving the appearance of the original wheels and I am not sure what to use.  Mine look just plain dull and I am uncertain what to use for treatment.  But that is one area I hope to improve short of swapping for alternative wheels.

John 

Without removing the finish on the wheels I don't think metal polish will do much. The clear finish on the wheels is something like polyurethane. It has probably yellowed or is just dull from someone using an abrasive cleaner on them. You could try buffing them to see if you can bring back the shine. As a last resort you can refinish them to make them shine. You can polish them to a chrome like finish if you want to take the time to do it. Here is the process I used to make some allow wheels look like chrome. Aluminum Wheel Refinishing

Daves89,

I am curious about the Wenol?  Will that work on original wheels.  Don't these have a coating which according to what I see about Wenol, that has to be removed first.  I have read numerous posts about improving the appearance of the original wheels and I am not sure what to use.  Mine look just plain dull and I am uncertain what to use for treatment.  But that is one area I hope to improve short of swapping for alternative wheels.

John 

I don't do anything to the Reatta wheel other then put snows on them and drive them in the winter. I use the Wenol on the chrom 7 spoke chrome wheels found on some Cadillacs and LeSabres...

I'm about mid-way through my tail light rebuild.  going to try a different approach than anything I've seen yet, but I'm sure I'm not the first to do it. 

I plan on posting my results

I bought an Alpine CDE-143Bt after I saw a post here from another member who successfully installed one in his Reatta. It has a single CD slot which is important to me (I know, I'm old school), bluetooth, as well as a USB port and connection for MP3 whatever that is. I'm thinking I may try to play music off my Smarter than Me phone if I can figure out how to do that without blowing through my data allowance. My factory radio never played AM very well and the factory CD player doesn't work anymore.  The 2 local FM radio stations that played oldies from the '50's - the '70's both changed formats so there was no station where I could enjoy the sound track to my top down cruising.  As my car is a convertible, you need a better system than you could get by with in a coupe.

All my factory speakers seem to be working fine but given their age and design, I decided to replace them.  I bought Alpine 2 way 5.25" speakers for the doors and Kicker 4"X10" speakers for the rear. The speakers are expected to be delivered next week. I didn't order the foam cores for the rear speakers but when I take it apart, I may order them if I determine they would be useful.  I also have on hand the Metra 1.5 DIN faceplate, plug adapter, antenna adapter, and speaker wire adapters so I don't hack up factory wiring.  I may, in the future, decide to add an amp, and sub. I had those in my BMW and loved the sound they produced. I am by no means or by any stretch of the imagination an audiophile but I do appreciate all music from good ol' Rock and Roll to Classical and everything in between.  Please note that appreciation doesn't include ©rap music.  My plan is to install it all without modification to the originality of the car and to keep the original components for a future owner if they desire it.

I searched here, Crutchfield's and Ronnie's sites for information and directions before I made the leap.  It is a slightly older radio design but I really wanted a CD slot and bluetooth.  The reviews on Amazon also helped to lead me to these decisions.  My modest budget also helped drive the end results. I'll post up some pics and a review after I finish the install next week.  FedEx tried to deliver the stereo yesterday but I didn't know it was coming and the seller sent it signature required. If it comes in time, I hope to install the radio later today.  I will do the speakers next week, probably on next Friday. That may take a little longer as my door panels need some work not related to the speakers and as long as they are removed I should correct those issues. They include a slow passenger window, a malfunctioning passenger door lock and reattaching the driver's door control module which has come loose from the door panel.  I love doing this type of work on my classic cars rather than repairing mechanical stuff.

Here is the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMRLK3Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 link for the radio on Amazon.

Which brand/item number?

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)

I have satellite radio (Serius) in my Lincoln MKX.  I've had it on a free 3 month trial which I just upped to a 12 month plan that had great pricing.  I wasted too much of my free trial period with Christmas music.  I'm not sure I like it as where I live, it cuts out often from trees, and mountains. Also, while I like the music on the '60's station, the DJs like to hear themselves talk too much. I find I am often switching between the 50's station, the 60's station and the 70's station.  After that, music died except for country.  I have Pandora on Verizon but haven't figured out how to program the cell to the radio yet. Does that use data bandwidth?