water bubble under paint.

Ike1302

Good evening to all,

I went ot check on the car tonight which is in storage. The overhead fan has a leak over the hood not bad, but non the less leaking under heavy rain. To overcome this problem i drapped a cloth cargo mat over the hood with a rain tarp over the mat so to not scratch the original paint. Well that tarp allowed water threw onto the mat that retained moisture, so now i have a bunch of tiny bubbles with water underneath. Any advice or help please.

Before you repaint it,  since you are in FL, put it out in the sun and let it get hot on a dry day of course.  I had this same problem with a 38 Cadillac I had.  I covered it overnight with a brand new good outdoor fitted car cover, because I couldn't store it in a Garage at my Girlfriend's Apt and I always thought it was neat to take an old car out on our dates, anyways, when I uncovered it the next morning having had a little rain over night,  I found the same thing you did.  After I had it out in the sun for the day, they disappeared.   I never had them come back either. Of course I never left it out or let it get wet under a cover again.   I would not repaint the hood period if it's original paint unless the paint came off.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Guest AlCapone

I would second that.  Especially on a car as special as a Survivor where it's only going to be original once.

Not a lot of sympathy as I see it. ( lol ) Wayne

Thank you AUBERNSEEKER, did as you suggested today in this wintery weather we are having here in Florida and it did not seem as bad this afternoon when i put her away. I will try it again when we have our next sunny day, which should be....wait for it................tomorrow 72 degrees and leave it be. The roof repair is a no brainer and till then i will try something different to protect her, it was heart breaking for the moment but a lesson learned and extra care for the future. Lets see what it looks like next week and i will update, Once again thank you all for your thoughts. 

You could also heat the area  gently with a heat lamp. 

That's true.  A couple of work lights on a pole positioned so they make it warm not hot will draw the moisture out.  That Cadillac is still sitting in my garage 12 years later after selling it to my uncle who stored it in not as good of buildings until it came back to rest in mine and I don't see the bubbles yet.

That's Lacquer paint on your car and it has more issues with moisture then poly or enamel. It's softer and more porous thus reacting more with it's environment.  As I said don't paint a survivor unless the paint falls off.  You will regret it.

I agree with not repainting even though it is the opinion of a local collector here in my area, the thought of it makes me cringe at disturbing the paint and making her diifferent from it original state. John i will try the lamps with attention not to burn the paint  i have one that i use for construction with a  yellow stand and i will try and give it the right  distance from the hood. If it doesnt work and repaint is needed, i will send her off to strip, sand, new paint, purple with yellow flames, then LS3 motor, crager rims and suspension mods........... I dont think so.

I think it will flatten out pretty well.  You can always lightly wet sand with 1500 (I use WD40 if I don't want any water to get to the questionable surface as a lubricant when I wet sand paint on an original car like this)   if they don't go completely flat then buff but I would check it with a paint gauge first to make sure there is enough left to work with.   The car in my avitar was covered with them and I got an amazing amount out without burning through.  I wold hand buff the paint if you go this option though as a machine will burn through very fast.   I would do this as a last course though. 

Good luck.

Good evening John and Auburn,

i followed the advice with the lamp and heat and amazingly most of the bubbles flattened out, there was a couple that chipped but nothing a little drop of paint cant hide.  I am going to let her sit a bit for a few more days before touching or buffing the surface, but i am real glad with the light results and if need be i will repaint the hood. Thanks to everyone for your inputs.