Making a Tracing of a Wood Part ?

Mark Gregory

I am rebuilding the complete wood structure of my 1931 Reo Royale Victoria . I am duplicating the existing weathered wood . I was going to trace the new wood pieces to make a pattern for any other Royale owners . Who want to restore their cars in the future who might need a copy of the wood part .

Should I trace it on cardboard , masonite , heavy vinyl wallpaper ? Any suggestions would help .

I'd use a heavy paper, there's a brown rolled paper that's about 24 inches wide, think I got mine from a body supply shop....it's heavier than the light green masking paper they carry. This would give you any length you need, you could trace both plan and elevation views of each piece (I.e. top view and side view) and make notes on holes and details. It will also roll up when done for easy storage.

A noble goal, to do it correctly will take some time...

Home Improvement stores carry in roll form Rosin Paper. Generally 3 ft wide by 500 ft long and not quite as heavy as cardboard and it rolls up when not in use. As trimacar stated above a Nobel Goal as well as a needed one for others in the hobby. Good Luck with your efforts in this.  

Guest AlCapone

I don't have a dog in the fight but if it were me I would make a master set of patterns out of some substantial material and if someone else needed a set I would send them a disposable set made of craft paper.............Bob

Great advice! Wayne

When I make replacement parts I always make a test piece out of closed cell foam used for insulation.  One 4 x 8 sheet can be cut into strips which can b e gluged together to make blocks that can then be cut or sawed.  A electric knife works great for cutting the foam.  I think you are making a great offer.

I cannot count the times I have heard people ask for patterns or plans for the wood structures for their cars or trucks. If I were building a structure for a car of mine, I would definitely try to either make a good set of plans for others to use later (easy for me since I used to draw for a living) or make more than one set of wood pieces. I realize the wood cost would be more, but you could maybe recoup some of the cost in selling the second set of wood pieces.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions . I went to the local blue print company and he scanned my original full scale drawings 3 ft X 6 ft and charged me $4 . So I will mail off a set to a fellow Reo Royale owner in Flint . As I make some pieces I will mail off more prints .

• Like 1

That is a good idea stateside . What I did was drill 3/16 holes in the template about 3 of them . Then transfer the 3/16 holes to the finished piece of wood . So I could insert 3/16 rods to hold the wood pattern over the finished wood in the exact same place for both sides of the car .