amphicar770

Pennsylvania Bill to Eliminate Ethanol Fuel Mandate - Get Behind It

So, earlier this evening I was preparing to send a letter to my state legislators to grumble about the ethanol fuel mandate here in Pennsylvania. 

Turns out that a bill has already passed the house to eliminate the mandate, and is now is Senate Committee. Here is a notice from SEMA followed by the letter I sent to my own representative and each of the committee members. I would certainly encourage any PA based AACA  members to do the same ...

===========================
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)

Pennsylvania Bill to Eliminate Ethanol Requirement in Gasoline Approved by House; Moves to Senate

Legislation (H.B. 471) to remove the requirement that gasoline offered for sale in the state contain a percentage of ethanol was approved by an overwhelming margin in the House of Representatives and will now be sent to the Senate Environmental Resources & Energy Committee for consideration. Currently, the state requires that “All gasoline sold or offered for sale to ultimate consumers in this Commonwealth must contain at least 10% cellulosic ethanol by volume . . .” .
Please Contact All Members of the Pennsylvania Senate Environmental Resources & Energy Committee (List Below) Immediately to Request Support for H.B. 471

H.B. 471 recognizes that ethanol fuels cause problems with fuel pumps, fuel gauges, as well as other engine performance issues, especially over a period of time when the vehicle is not used. Current high performance specialty parts along with pre-model year 2001 cars and parts may be most susceptible to corrosion.

H.B. 471 acknowledges that ethanol has been shown to decrease fuel mileage.

H.B. 471 recognizes that the life span of vehicles and equipment can be dramatically reduced with the wrong fuel and that owners could be confronted with break downs. Anti-corrosion additives are available for each purchase of gasoline but can become expensive, burdensome and require consumer education.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact all Senate Environmental Resources & Energy Committee members to request support for H.B. 471.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Pennsylvania Senate Environmental Resources & Energy Committee

Senator Gene Yaw - Majority Chairman
Phone: (717) 787-3280
Email: eyaw@pasen.gov

Senator John Yudichak - Minority Chairman
Phone: (717) 787-7105
Email: yudichak@pasenate.com

Senator Camera Bartolotta
Phone: (717) 787-1463
Email: bartolatta@pasen.gov

Senator Joseph Scarnati III
Phone: (717) 787-7084
Email: jscarnati@pasen.gov

Senator Elder Vogel Jr.
Phone: (717) 787-3076
Email: evogel@pasen.gov

Senator Kim Ward
Phone: (717) 787-6063
Email: kward@pasen.gov 

Senator Donald White
Phone: (717) 787-8724
Email: dwhite@pasen.gov

Senator John Blake
Phone: (717) 787-6481
Email: senatorblake@pasenate.com

Senator Andrew Dinniman
Phone: (717) 787-5544
Email: adinniman@pasenate.com  

Senator Daylin Leach
Phone: (717) 787-5544
Email: dleach@pasenate.com

Senator Scott Hutchison
Phone: (717) 787-9684
Email: shutchison@pasen.gov
==========================

The Honorable Senator John Refferty
Harrisburg, PA

22 January 2016

Dear Senator Rafferty,

I am writing you to request your support for House Bill 471 which removes the ethanol mandate for gasoline. I realize that this bill is currently in review by the Senate Environmental Resources & Energy Committee, I have already contacted all members of that committee via email.

As an owner of several antique and classic vehicles, I have experienced first hand the damages resulting from ethanol blend fuels. Fuel pumps, carburetors, sending units, and most recently a fuel tank have all been severely damaged or destroyed resulting in thousands of dollars in unnecessary repairs. To preserve some equipment, I now travel over 100 miles twice a year to fill fuel cans with ethanol free gasoline.

Of even greater significance are the ethical implications of turning food into fuel. Studies have shown that the claimed environmental benefits are based on unrealistic crop yields and thus, the environmental impact of producing ethanol actually exceeds the benefit. Clearly the introduction of ethanol into fuel was not based on good science but was designed to placate the farm lobby at the expense of the public.

I appreciate your help and ask that you support the passage of HB 471.

Thank you for your time and considering my request.

Sincerely,

• Like 1

Hope all the people in PA reading this post get in touch with their State Senator and urge them to support this bill.

I live in Oklahoma where you can get ethanol free gasoline. I buy it when I am near a station selling ethanol free. The few cents price difference is offset by increased mileage. If enough states dump the ethanol myth maybe the price of corn based food products will go down.

Agree but suspect that just eliminating a requirement will not eliminate ethanol since the pipelines serve many states.

More importantly the yield of ethanol from corn is very poor compared to sweet sorghum or sugar cane but since is also a crop subsidy...