1928 Buick on CL - what model is this and any insights?

JoelsBuicks

There is a 1928 on Craigslist: http://shreveport.craigslist.org/cto/5404343816.html. I called the guy and he doesn't know much at all about the car, not even a model or series. I admit that I don't know either. When I called he came way down on the listed price so I know it's negotiable. I'm interested in this car but you can see that it has lost its head and rear bumperand other parts I'm sure. So what is the model and how hard would a replacement engine be to source and what does a person really need to know before he drives 6 hours to go and look?

Thanks

Joel,   I,m not an authority on 1928 year models, and my 70 Years of Buick book is packed away for moving.  But it is a Master with the built in trunk rack,  so it is the top of the range model for 1928.  1924 - 1927 had  a 128" wheel base chassis/frame. I know they changed the chassis in 1928,  wether they increased the wheelbase?  It might have been increased to 129".  I would ask the owner if the engine turns over and if it has been stored inside.  It is always a worry when the head is removed,  is there any rust in the cylinders.  There is a lot of wood in these sedans,  The condition of the wood is probably the biggest consideration.  $5000 sounds a bit much to me.   

Agree with everything that's been said so far. Big, top-of-the-line model. The condition of the wood in the doors, cowl, and door posts will determine whether the car is worth restoring or is just a parts car. Open each door, grab it at one of the outer corners, and shake it back and forth. If it wobbles, the wood is bad. Also note whether the doors drop down when they are opened or whether they stay level with the rest of the body.

Thank you all for weighing in on this. My concerne is that this car might have an engine that was maybe a one or two year only that only appeared on a single model. Do you know if this is the case? I may have a lead on a '27 engine close to my house but I know nothing about it either. Also, what else should I look for that may be nearly impossible to find? A rear bumper perhaps?

One thing is for certain, you could go and get this car and be upside down on it - even if it had a $5000 bill taped to it. But still I'm a sucker for them. I really see this at around $2K and therefore will probably not get it.

As for the wood, I'm getting better and faster as I go through my '31. As long as this car has remnants of pattern wood left, I won't worry too much about that. Who knows, it may be sufficiently solid that I just have to fortify the joints.

Thanks again,

Joel

Joel,

The car your looking at is a Master. They made a half dozen or more models and they sold well. The 27 is very similar to the 28 and a lot of parts are interchangeable. I think the 26 is similar too. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding the parts.

Dave

Leif is right in that there are many differences there are also many parts from 27 engines that fit 28. For example intake and exhaust manifolds, carbs, water pump and timing gears. I think the Master cylinder heads may exchange too.

The bodies and chassis are different. I think the wheels and rims are the same. This is from experience and may not be what the parts books say.

Dave