1937 Dictator Radiator

Redbox

Post #2 means that the shop should not pressurize it to more than 5 psi during their cleaning process.  Shops are accustomed to pressurizing more modern radiators to 30 psi, and will do that to yours with potentially terrible results unless you are explicit in your instructions.

Hoses:  You can bulk "stick" hose of the appropriate diameter in 3-ft lengths at any decent parts house, including NAPA.  Lower radiator hose:  If it's more than a 6-inch run, there may have originally been a piece of pipe, possibly curved, between two short lengths of hose.  That was for the purpose of preventing the hose from being pulled inward and collapsed by powerful water pump suction at speed.  Curved molded hose was not generally available at the time.  You can (1) use an aftermarked available-anywhere ribbed hose with spiral wire insert (not authentic, but quick and easy) or (2) use a piece of exhaust pipe bent (if necessary) to the proper angle, with a short piece of hose on each end.

Cap:  Stant cap no. R-1 is listed for Studebaker 1936-40 as a replacement cap.  It is an unpressurized cap with four "ears" for grip.

• 5 years later...

Greetings Redbox.. I want to know the steps in removing a radiator from a 1936 studebaker dictator.  How did you remove yours from the 3w coupe?

Thanks for any thoughts

I got the radiator out by removing the fan and then the water pump.  Now I am looking for a supplier of radiator hoses and a thermostat.  Thanks for any suggestions.

rad 2.PNG

rad 3.PNG

rad 1.PNG

Take the old hoses to an auto parts store try to match them up.  Isn't the top one just a straight hose which would be easy to find?