1937 Dictator Radiator

Guest Redbox

This past weekend I pulled the radiator from the 3W Coupe.

I am looking for new hoses and a cap.

My main question is should I bring it to a local shop or someone that deals with these old radiators?

Thanks,

Steve

Post #2 means that the shop should not pressurize it to more than 5 psi during their cleaning process.  Shops are accustomed to pressurizing more modern radiators to 30 psi, and will do that to yours with potentially terrible results unless you are explicit in your instructions.

Hoses:  You can bulk "stick" hose of the appropriate diameter in 3-ft lengths at any decent parts house, including NAPA.  Lower radiator hose:  If it's more than a 6-inch run, there may have originally been a piece of pipe, possibly curved, between two short lengths of hose.  That was for the purpose of preventing the hose from being pulled inward and collapsed by powerful water pump suction at speed.  Curved molded hose was not generally available at the time.  You can (1) use an aftermarked available-anywhere ribbed hose with spiral wire insert (not authentic, but quick and easy) or (2) use a piece of exhaust pipe bent (if necessary) to the proper angle, with a short piece of hose on each end.

Cap:  Stant cap no. R-1 is listed for Studebaker 1936-40 as a replacement cap.  It is an unpressurized cap with four "ears" for grip.

• 5 years later...