Going to look at a 1971 Buick Riviera

zipdang

It's interesting how every individual has his own

preferences for styling.  I like them best WITH 

vinyl roofs, especially the half vinyl roofs more

commonly seen on the 1972-73 models.

Without vinyl roofs, premium cars from that era

look to me like price-leader low-cost "Plain Jane" cars,

which they often were back in the 1970's.

I like to see a car kept as it came in its own era,

not modifying it for today's changed tastes.

Plenty of 71-73 Riviera's made from the factory without the vinyl roof. When I said cleaner I really meant to say was the vinyl roof breaks up the body lines of the car. It just flows better without it. As the styling guys used to say when the chrome of the late 50's came off " Less is more "

Just as a loint of paw, since the '60s I have preferred the "less is more" look and do not recall ever having a car with a vinyl roof (came close in '70 with a '67 Coupe de Ville, passed) and you don't want my opinion of half-vinyl (landaulet) roofs, it is the same as a fake convertible top.

Have looked at a few & being a Floridian the first thing is to press on the lower rear portions. If something goes "crunch", run do not walk.

So even back then, not everyone liked them. To some if a car had clean lines, it did not need "more".

Look at the 63-65 Riv or 68-70 Skylark. As with the 71-73 Riv, Buick was famous for getting a new design the way it was intended in the third year. Sales strategy.

You can't really say that. We know the 65 is closest to the concept vehicle, but we must remember Mitchell didn't design the car to be a Buick. The car was to be the new Lasalle. Cadillac sales were doing good, but Buicks were faltering and trying to recover from the 59-60 design rejection, so the corporation gave the car to Buick.

1963_buick_riviera_silver_arrow_i_concep

Helfen,

WOW - I've been looking at a number of Riviera pictures but the one you posted is stupendous. What a motivation. I'll most likely be talking to the seller again tomorrow and will hopefully either buy the car or get on with my life! Again, many thanks for all the input, advice and education.

As to the vinyl roof or not debate, I normally agree that they are a great way to hide or create problems, but I'm liking the way it looks on this car.

Yup, the '73 is the cleanest.

Heflin: ok how about "GM (not just Buick) hires ugly stylists" one that take the clean lines and styling cues of the end or TOL car and "uglify" it for the loss leaders.

You know, the ones that took a nice dash and created something ugly that said "here was supposed to be a clock". Or the ones that took GTO taillights and "uglified" them for the Tempest ?

Of course in the '60s it wasn't just GM, it was everyone to some extent, just Buick made a science out of it, the third year was always the best. Don't like the Riv example ? Try a 68 Skylark vs a 70.

post-76431-0-99227700-1453690535_thumb.j

Yup, the '73 is the cleanest.

Heflin: ok how about "GM (not just Buick) hires ugly stylists" one that take the clean lines and styling cues of the end or TOL car and "uglify" it for the loss leaders.

You know, the ones that took a nice dash and created something ugly that said "here was supposed to be a clock". Or the ones that took GTO taillights and "uglified" them for the Tempest ?

Of course in the '60s it wasn't just GM, it was everyone to some extent, just Buick made a science out of it, the third year was always the best. Don't like the Riv example ? Try a 68 Skylark vs a 70.

Well I don't know. I like the 1955 Pontiac better than the 57. I like the 1955 Olds and Buick better than the 57, but I like the 1957 Chevrolet better than the 55. I like the 1959 Pontiac equally to the 60. I'll take any year full size Pontiac from 61 to 65. But each division is different. I think the 65 Tempest looks better than the 64, but the 64 Cutlass looks better than the 65. 64-65 Skylarks are equal. Don't you think it jumps around? The 66 Toronado looks better than the similar 67, but what Olds did to it later was terrible.

Show me a example of a ugly stylist's work.

Did you mean this? ;

http://image.hotrod.com/f/8722139+w660+h495+cr1/0510pon_01z%2B1966_pontiac_lemans%2Brear_view_drivers_side.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3exJjexmOwrFxqI8iuiQDpp14fnVRlSxPWIt49B1ddAfRAQG4vw

I happen to like it either way

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I do! 

This is the worst angle. http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Buick-Riviera-1975.jpg   Leads me to believe the boss said to the 'stylist', "My suitcase is too tall to stand up in the trunk, and you have 5 minutes to make it fit!"

Craig

That is a Bill Mitchell styling cue. Want to see it in the extreme?

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/1980-1989-cadillac-8.jpg

I like the older Nova based one better, and it's RWD

https://ccco.s3.amazonaws.com/vehicles/images/4/4/0/9/1/44091/299675_cb62f0dd1e_low_res.jpg

All these cars have the beginnings of the trunk being a little higher that the belt line upper edge even my 76 Olds Omega Brougham:

http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20832/images/img_0124.jpg

It is amazing to me what happens when a bunch of car guys start discussing the different merits of the various designs on cars that was just prompted by me asking about a single car. I'm learning quite a bit from this. I was high school age during the seventies and hated most of the new cars then. I chose to drive my '51 DeSoto and '56 Olds 88 to school!

As to reaching the seller of the Riviera, probably tomorrow now. I assure I'm not trying to drag this out!

That is a Bill Mitchell interpretation; NOT a 'styling cue'!  He unabashedly lifted it from English Hooper-bodied cars from the 1940's and 1950's.  http://www.simoncars.co.uk/coachwork/hooper.html

Craig

Interesting that you say that. The standard Book on Cadillac says, The rear styling was a revival of an appearance Cadillac used in the 1930s, as demonstrated with the Cadillac Series 70 of 1935. Even Pontiac's and Chevrolets Olds,and Buicks also had one form or another. I see them on some 1933-34 Pontiac's.

And look here a 1936 Chrysler:

http://www.hollywoodbobsmoviecars.com/graphics/1936_chrysler_airflow003s.jpg

Interesting that you say that. The standard Book on Cadillac says, The rear styling was a revival of an appearance Cadillac used in the 1930s, as demonstrated with the Cadillac Series 70 of 1935. Even Pontiac's and Chevrolets Olds,and Buicks also had one form or another. I see them on some 1933-34 Pontiac's.

And look here a 1936 Chrysler:

http://www.hollywoodbobsmoviecars.com/graphics/1936_chrysler_airflow003s.jpg

In the mid-1930's the bustle-back was also known as a Touring Sedan, or sometimes, a 'trunk sedan' by several automakers when they got away from the separate hang-on trunk a few years before. This 1935 Rolls Royce 20/25 is similar: http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Rolls-Royce/35-Rolls-20-25_Limo_DV-10-GG_01.jpg   It was Hooper which sharpened the profile with the razor-edged appearance on later Rolls Royces and Daimlers which Cadillac tried to emulate with the 1980 Seville. 

Craig

In the mid-1930's the bustle-back was also known as a Touring Sedan, or sometimes, a 'trunk sedan' by several automakers when they got away from the separate hang-on trunk a few years before. This 1935 Rolls Royce 20/25 is similar: http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Rolls-Royce/35-Rolls-20-25_Limo_DV-10-GG_01.jpg   It was Hooper which sharpened the profile with the razor-edged appearance on later Rolls Royces and Daimlers which Cadillac tried to emulate with the 1980 Seville. 

Craig

So they modified the existing concept, made it sharper and called it their own. How inventive. Looks like Chrysler had that idea too. In 1936.

" It was Hooper which sharpened the profile with the razor-edged appearance on later Rolls Royces and Daimlers which Cadillac tried to emulate with the 1980 Seville. "

That's not what was said in the GM art and color book, or the Standard Cadillac book.

Just when I was about to give up, the seller finally called me and agreed on my offer! Depending on the towing company's schedule, I may have it home tomorrow. I decided that to drive it 35 miles in heavy traffic with sketchy brakes and who-knows-what-else probably wouldn't be a good idea. Now I can promise pictures when it gets here!

• Like 2

Just when I was about to give up, the seller finally called me and agreed on my offer! ...

Congratulations, Zipdang!

Sometimes the most fun is showing the car to children,

or to the general public.  A few zealous car fans might think,

"hey, buddy, you know you have the wrong cigarette lighter?"--

but the general public, if they are interested in cars, will

OOH and AHH over a vehicle like yours.  And they'll think

it's worth a lot of money, too!

Children may be interested in things which adults take for granted,

such as a bench seat that you can slide all the way across,

or manual wind-up windows.  I've seen things like that when

giving "tours" of my old car to future hobbyists.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Just when I was about to give up, the seller finally called me and agreed on my offer! Depending on the towing company's schedule, I may have it home tomorrow. I decided that to drive it 35 miles in heavy traffic with sketchy brakes and who-knows-what-else probably wouldn't be a good idea. Now I can promise pictures when it gets here!

Congratulations! Glad you got it. I think you will be very happy with the car. Probably a wise choice not to drive it. There is a risk of doing damage. Better to go over all the basic systems before driving it.

If you haven't already, check out  http://www.rivowners.org/ and get yourself a 71 chassis service manual. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-BUICK-SERVICE-MANUAL-ORIGINAL-ALL-SERIES-GS-ETC-/391373162407?hash=item5b1fa887a7:g:Wb0AAOSwKtlWqAxo&vxp=mtr

Once you get it home and get some decent pics post them over on the Buick Riviera sub forum 

Someone got way off topic here.  The gentleman wants to know what to expect from the car he's found; he not looking for a car based on others' opinions.  The '73 is different but for no reasons stated that I've read so far.  The large bumpers (railroad tracks) put the car in compliance with newly mandated crash bumper laws. 

Zipdang:

There's a forum in the Buick section devoted strictly to the Buick Riviera.  Posting your question there will be read by Riviera enthusiasts who can give you answers to your question.

Click on this link to go there directly.

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/73-buick-riviera-riviera-owners-association/

Ed

It's home! And I surprised my wife by getting it in the garage without taking her spot! After unloading, I started it just enough to back it into place in the garage. Noise out the back and anti-freeze out the front, but it started immediately and ran smoothly for the couple of minutes I ran it. I won't be doing much until the weather warms aside from getting the radiator looked at and researching exhaust. Oh - and brakes, and tires and belts ....

Thank you all for contributing to the fun. I will start a posting down in the Riviera section as suggested. Now come summer, I'll have to decide what to work on. I'm currently doing a nut-and-bolt restoration (my first) on a 1959 Fiat Granluce. Sitting next to that is a 1967 Fiat 500 Giardiniera I picked up just to have fun with. FYI, other cars I've owned inluded a 1950 DeSoto, 1951 DeSoto, 1956 Olds Rocket 88 (great car to have in high school), 1970 LeSabre, 1960 LeSabre, 1969 Toyota Land Cruiser, 1950 Chrysler, and a 1935 Hupmobile 518D.

Here are some pictures:

post-153309-0-95354700-1454024419_thumb.

post-153309-0-78032700-1454024435_thumb.

post-153309-0-88464700-1454024457_thumb.

post-153309-0-49068500-1454024481_thumb.

post-153309-0-89410400-1454024506_thumb.

post-153309-0-76051800-1454024530_thumb.

• Like 1

I liked the colors too! I've learned that the black moldling running down the side was a dealer option not from the factory, but I think it really accents the body contours.

Just think of the joy going out to the garage tomorrow morning ( probably after a sleepless night )!

Thanks for sharing with us your happiness!

I liked the colors too! I've learned that the black moldling running down the side was a dealer option not from the factory, but I think it really accents the body contours.

I say, if you like that dealer-installed molding, keep it.

Don't be talked into removing it, because yes, it really

does enhance the car, and it was evidently a part of

the car's 1971 history.  The 1972-73 Rivieras offered it.

The A.A.C.A., and likely other clubs, would probably

deduct for it if your car were judged, because it 

may have been put on 2 weeks after the factory made the car!

That is one shortcoming of such judging, in my opinion.

(Yet aftermarket Trippe lights on 1930's cars, and aftermarket

dragon horns on expensive 1910-era roadsters, may get by;

and when clubs first formed with growing young families,

judging was much more lenient, I understand.)

See my assessment in post #64 in this thread, because

enjoyment is a higher purpose that critique.  Enjoy your Riv!  

An aftermarket item 45 years old is truly a part of history,

and you have a beautiful car.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Zipdang,

I have been reading this post from the sidelines as I always liked Rivera's. I used to store my first car, a 66 Chevy Impala Convt which I still own in a home of a widow who inherited a home with six car garage and a 63 Rivera. I cleaned and waxed the Rivera for rent one time and she let me drive down to the gas station for a fill up. Very nice car and cool interior. She was with me as to not let a 21 year old at the time burn some rubber.

Also noticed your car had Ohio Plates and picked the car near your home which I assume means you live in Ohio. I am veryactive in AACA's Ohio Region Southern Ohio Chapter but grew up in the Canton Chapter. The Ohio Region has chapters throught out Ohio and I travel the State on business. The Chapter do monthly day tours on back country roads to car,other collections, historical sites and and events and take turns hosting quarterly weekend events for Region. Sent me a private message if you are interested. Besides seeing cool stuff, we also share a common interest in keeping these cars on the road with help or suggestions. I also know car guys all over Ohio.

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

The A.A.C.A., and likely other clubs, would probably

deduct for it if your car were judged, because it 

may have been put on 2 weeks after the factory made the car!

That is one shortcoming of such judging, in my opinion.

(Yet aftermarket Trippe lights on 1930's cars, and aftermarket

dragon horns on expensive 1910-era roadsters, may get by;

and when clubs first formed with growing young families,

judging was much more lenient, I understand.)

See my assessment in post #64 in this thread, because

enjoyment is a higher purpose that critique.  Enjoy your Riv!  

An aftermarket item 45 years old is truly a part of history,

and you have a beautiful car.

Trippe lights were authorized Packard accessories, at least in some years. I have a 1940 price list that lists them. I'm not a fan of them in the least, but there is some evidence that they were optional.

• Like 1

Excellent news, perhaps the picture I posted will be your inspiration!

With much deeper pockets than I have!

The molding is definitely staying. I have no intention of having it judged anywhere (except perhaps by the folks at local meets). I definitely favor originality and since this car has it, I like it, and it's fixable (couple of damaged pieces), the molding will remain!

• 2 months later...

Well, the weather is improving here in Ohio and I've been busy in the garage with my newest toy. The guys at the parts store are getting to know me - radiator, hoses, belts, calipers, rotors, wheel cylinders, shoes, pads, master cylinder, and on and on. New tires mounted and balanced (MUCH bigger than the Fiat tires and wheels I'm used to playing with!) I now have all the brake parts - lines included - removed and it was much harder to free up these fittings and lines than it is was when I owned a 1935 Hupmobile and did the same thing. I've got the gas tank off and will be having it cleaned and sealed. Rear brake drums received a light turning to freshen them up. The front rotors had already been turned down way past the minimum. I've caught myself saying "Well, while I'm under here, I might as well do this (whatever) too." Still having  fun in Ohio!

• 4 years later...
On 1/20/2016 at 7:40 AM, 8E45E said:

I've never heard anyone ever say that before!

Myself and most others like them the least of the three boattail model years as the tail got flatter in 1973 with the licence plate got mounted on the center of the bumper, and the front got that ghastly 5-mph bumper.   My favorite is the 1972 model year boattail Riv., as it got rid of those nasty vents on the trunk lid while retaining the nice, sharply defined tail.

Craig

I prefer the 71-2 cars by far. Those nasty trunk louvers caused many a rotted out trunk floor! 

mustangetc 015.jpg