Lincoln KA/KB

alsancle

46 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Wow, that price makes me regret every choice I've made in the last two years.

That is the price for some of the chrome.  It won't sell for that.   I'm thinking 25k in the current world.   Ed can correct me down 10k.

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That is the price for some of the chrome.  It won't sell for that.   I'm thinking 25k in the current world.   Ed can correct me down 10k.

It will bring 28-32 in current condition........

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

How often do you correct me up?

That’s  the first time........ever.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 2:14 PM, alsancle said:

I have to bring this to the top since I just noticed it sold for 25k on the dot and Ed was off by 10k.  😁

• Haha 1

The then conservator of this magnificent '32 KB showed it at the 1996 LCOC Eastern National Meet in Dearborn, MI.   When the owner was showing a group of us and describing that it was a low mileage original including the interior, having that shudder of recognition one gets when one has the opportunity to see such a perfectly preserved original.   The same meet included a 1935 Lincoln K five passenger sedan that was just as wonderfully preserved.    Also attending that meet were Bob Bourke and Tucker Madawick, both design industry legends.

• Like 1

Lincoln built a lot of great cars........some attractive, many not so much. The KB is a fantastic platform.

15 hours ago, md murray said:

Is it me or does the body work just seem to flow better on that 1933 than this 1934? I guess it's apples and oranges but the tall green house just looks a little clumsy by comparison.

LIN.jpg

This 1934 has the series-custom Willoughby Type 285 seven passenger limousine body, priced at $5,600, 77 units built.   Willoughby bodies tend to be very conservatively styled, think the Panel Brougham which Lincoln catalogued to the end of Model K production.  

Regarding the change from the 1932 KB hood doors to the 1933 louvers:  because the 1933 was the first to have streamlining applied to the styling, they may have been uncomfortable with the slanted hood doors, fearful their customer's conservative taste consider the feature a bit too much.  Saving a minor amount of money on tooling and production may have played a part though given Lincoln was Edsel Ford's vanity project, bleeding red ink by the gallon, difficult to believe financial loss was even a consideration.       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This 1934 has the series-custom Willoughby Type 285 seven passenger limousine body, priced at $5,600, 77 units built.   Willoughby bodies tend to be very conservatively styled, think the Panel Brougham which Lincoln catalogued to the end of Model K production.  

Regarding the change from the 1932 KB hood doors to the 1933 louvers:  because the 1933 was the first to have streamlining applied to the styling, they may have been uncomfortable with the slanted hood doors, fearful their customer's conservative taste consider the feature a bit too much.  Saving a minor amount of money on tooling and production may have played a part though given Lincoln was Edsel Ford's vanity project, bleeding red ink by the gallon, difficult to believe financial loss was even a consideration.       

Steve,   The KB was 32/33,  did the wheelbase change at all in 34?

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

Steve,   The KB was 32/33,  did the wheelbase change at all in 34?

AJ: Lincoln held over the 136" and 145" wheelbases for 1934 of the prior 1933 KA and KB respectively, still designated them as such but added Series 521 to the KA and Series 271 to the KB.  Essentially, the chassis was being rationalized to a single series with the 1933 KA Twelve 381.7 ci enlarged to the 414 ci twelve built through the end of the 1939 Model K.  For 1935, all became Model K, the 136" wb Series 301; the 145" wb Series 541.  For 1936, all still Model K, all regardless of wheelbase Series 300.  The 1937-'39 simply Model K, no series designations.  Edsel Ford was playing out whatever market still existed for the grandiose Lincolns: 1937: 977; 1938: 416; 1939: 133.  Were it not for the independent wealth of the Fords and willingness of Edsel to continue production and probably tolerance by his increasingly paranoid, tyrannical father Henry, Lincoln would have expired by 1936. 

As long as Packard continued their Twelve and Cadillac the Sixteen, Edsel had justification to continue the Model K.  After all, Fords wanted to continue to be perceived as one of the "Big Three" and no company could claim to do so without a top-line luxury car.  Chrysler skirted the issue with their late 1930's Custom Imperials which weren't much more than lwb versions of medium-priced Imperials and other eight cylinder Chryslers.   The democratization of the owner-driven luxury car being lead by the Cadillac 60 allowed Chrysler to take this escape route too.

Ask for a simple answer, get a dissertation...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, alsancle said:

Can someone tell me if Delage with the Aerosport copied Willoughby or the other way around?

AJ: Willoughby drew his design inspiration from the LeTourneur et Marchand bodied Delages and Delahayes pillarless four passenger coupes they had been creating in the mid-'30's.   The style began to appear by that time, a 1936 or 1937 Delage L & M coupe appeared in the Hershey Car Corral in the 1990's.  You must have seen them at various concours.   Unhappily, the late Lincoln K is too large in scale for such a sporting body style to turn out really well.  The rear view is particularly unattractive.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, md murray said:

I remember this car, blue I think with all original interior.

We probably need a Delage thread to discuss,  but there are a few floating around.  All slightly different and all better looking than the Lincoln.  Although I would be happy to take the Lincoln home.

DelageAerosport.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Greenhouse is a tad too high.

AJ:  The spatial relationships between the elements of the Letourneur & Marchand Aerosport are what makes the design work so well.  The Judkins has all the elements, just those spatial relationships off enough to make it a less than cohesive design.   Still, its a one-off coach-built worthy of preservation. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 6:36 PM, 58L-Y8 said:

The Judkins has all the elements, just those spatial relationships off enough to make it a less than cohesive design.   Still, its a one-off coach-built worthy of preservation. 

It could have benefitted from a longer rear overhang, so the slope from the roof-to-tail could have be more flowing, or 'graceful', befitting the class of the car.

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

It could have benefitted from a longer rear overhang, so the slope from the roof-to-tail could have be more flowing, or 'graceful', befitting the class of the car.

Craig

Yes, either longer rear overhang or lower section height or better yet, a combination of both to make the design gracefully flow.  Notice the relative low differential height of the hood and molding to the front fender crowns on the Delage.   The hood length also comprises greater percentage of the overall proportions as well.  Modifying a Lincoln K chassis that extensively before bodying it was likely beyond what Judkins would attempt to achieve the proper proportions.

Many things affecting your view /perception on what you are looking at : 1) the Lincoln has side mounted spares - that adds a bulls eye that stops you eye/flow of the look of the car. Not horrible but a huge factor in what you are looking at. 2) the sweep spear of the belt molding - one plated on a car of one solid dark color , the other sweep spear does not end at the center of the rear fender but kicks up and then continues around the rear fender. Not a bad thing but does affect you vision of the overall design. If the Lincoln was one solid conservative color it would make a huge difference. The green is not "in your face" visually but the highlighted lighted light color at the belt molding is , draws way to much attention. I love both cars, this is just an observation on my part ( I was an art teacher).

• Like 2

"1) the Lincoln has side mounted spares - that adds a bulls eye that stops you eye/flow of the look of the car. Not horrible but a huge factor in what you are looking at."

Exactly the primary reason designers then wanted to conceal the spares in the trunk as soon as possible. 

• 1 year later...