Buicks in Kansas

My dad & I are looking to get the local Buick guys together and perhaps help revitalize the Wheatland Chapter a bit. We're organizing an all Buick show in October (more on that later) but first we'd like to get some folks together (BCA members or not) in the next few weeks and talk about what people would like to get out of the club and who might like to do what to help out.

I'd like to send out some invites, and I'm sure the local president has access to the most up to date BCA member info, but he is south for the winter. I remember seeing member data listed in the Bugle, but I don't know the frequency in which that data is published. Is that due to be in print again soon?

• Like 1

My suggestion is to contact your South Central Regional Coordinator, which is shared by Mike Middletown and Willis Bell.  They should be able to obtain for you a list, with mailing labels for any applicable zip codes. 

The roster is published on a two year basis, but listing is only by state, so is difficult to work with, especially because I assume the chapter has members in Oklahoma as well. 

Your chapter should have a local roster, as well.

Again just my suggestion.

John

• Like 1

If you want to get the Buick owners in the very center of the country together then you should come to Chickasha, Oklahoma for the pre-war swap meet and gather with the enthusiasts at high noon on March 17 and make your pitch there.  I will talk with you on the phone or via private email, but not on here.  The truth cannot be spoken on here or the political correctness police will strike down what is written.  I got your email several days ago and I will say on here that I am not really interested in much of anything that you are wanting to do because my Buicks are very original and do not fit the 'trailer queen' criteria for

a Buick show.  I will help point you in the right direction and wish you all kinds of good luck.  That is all I will say on here.  Be sure and let us all know how things work out.

Terry Wiegand

terrywiegand@prodigy.net

(620) 665-7672

Matt: If you contact the Buick Club Office manger he should be able to give you a listing of Members within the area you want to target. I believe he can also give you labels, preprinted with the members addresses,  for an effort to reach out to those folks by US postal service.   While it will cost a few dollars to print a letter and add the postage, that is one possible way to get to people within the Club without counting on the Internet where some may not participate.

I am not sure if the office can create a list based on zipcode targets, but that is definitely worth a try. 

• Like 1

I think it's great you and your dad are looking for ways to "rejuvenate " interest in you area and regional club. I am sure there are many here, some of whom have already posted, who can provide positive ways and means for doing that so please don't be discouraged by the negativity or misunderstandings of a few. In fact see those few as part of the challenge and work toward turning them around, they're good apples, just a bit bruised but still worth saving.

• Like 3

Mr. Earl,

Do you have access to something like a member list on the BCA website that's on something like an Excel spread sheet?  The RIviera Owners Assn. has a member list on its website and it's listed by member number.  However, because its a typical spread sheet, I can highlight the zip code column, go to the sort feature in the upper right hand corner of the tool bar on the home page, and select 'sort from A to Z.'  This sorts the zip codes into numerical order.  I can then locate all of the Kansas City area zip codes and surrounding areas. Highlight the selection and copy and paste to a word document.  I've then got a complete list of all ROA members in what ever zip code regions that I select.  I can go as far east or west of Kansas City as I want because zip codes get larger chronologically as you go west. 

I'm not a BCA member, so I don't know what you have at your disposal or I'd give you a hand. 

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.  I am Don, Matt's dad.  Matt has been my inspiration and motivation with regard to my 1956 Buick over the last 20 years.  I am a member of the BCA and since my wife has no interest in it other than a occasional ride, Matt has unofficially been a co-member.  When we started talking about helping the local club I suggested Matt's involvement in such a way the he did not think he could as a non-member.  That could be taken care of.  He had a birthday on 2-2 and I bought him a membership.  Add  to that the purchase of the 1987 Skyhawk, he is now in with both feet.  It was while taking to Nancy book at the Buick Office about a gift membership that this subject came up.  Nancy offered to print mailing labels for all Kansas BCA members at no charge.  She also sent out a box of cards which are just right for a business size envelope.  Later I asked about Oklahoma mailing labels since we are so close to the Oklahoma border and OKC is closer to us than KC.  She then sent another packet of labels.  She also emailed me document containing email addresses for everyone in Kansas and Oklahoma.  I must say I am well pleased with the help I got from Nancy and the BCA.

Looks like we are on our way with nothing left to do but a lot of work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Don and Matt

I read in the Bugle about a Buick event in June in Independence Mo.  I'm planning on attending that.  I've been in Kansas City for three years now and there are plenty of classic cars here, including Buicks.  I know there is a local Buick chapter here but have not had the time to join yet. 

I realize this is not the forum for shows but there is a large and very well attended show (over 1,000 to1,500cars) held over a weekend in September.  It's called Old Marais River Run, in Ottawa KS.  You can find it on Facebook.  All pre-1972 cars with a few Buick's attending although as usual not many.  This would be a great place for Buick lovers to bring out their cars to meet and network. I have nothing to do with this group other than attending the last three years and it's very well run and a good time.      

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What part of Nebraska, PhatCat?  My brother is in Lincoln...

I remember a show we had back in about '95 where we had a '58 drive down from Chicago!

The show will be in Wichita in October:

I'll also be sure to get it included in the Bugle as soon as we get the insurance and such sorted out.

I do plan on some judging and some trophies.  I don't have all of that sorted, either, but I do want to have a high-miler award to recognize whoever drives the farthest to get here.

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

We'll be glad to have you!  Online registration is open at www.WheatlandBuick.com, insurance is in place, and our first announcement in The Bugle ran this month. A local print shop just printed a bunch of materials for us that we'll be sending out soon... Things are moving right along!

• Like 1