Dual Front Carb Sedanette in Parallel linkage on Ebay

Lawrence Helfand

Saw this on Ebay 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281908728253?item=281908728253&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true 

41 Sedanette with two front carburetors in parallel linkage with dual exhaust 

Nice photos show both sides of the setup and linkage front plate. This is the way the Gods of speed and combustion meant cars to breath

Anyone have a nice original Stromberg AAV -16 for sale? I am ready to do this on my 320 Century motor. And all very reversible if need be. 

post-155022-0-77381000-1452912040_thumb.

post-155022-0-59821500-1452912064_thumb.

Just a bit of advice-  the Stromberg AAV-16 is for the small 248 engine. I think you need a Stromberg AAV-26 for your 320 cu.in. engine.

One has 3 bolt mounting and the AAV-26 has 4 bolt mounting.

Gary

My '41 320 has Stromberg AAv-16, and I've checked they are the correct carb for the engine. I do not know when the base was changed, but there are some 4 bolt mounts, and some 3 bolt mounts, though all '41 I've seen take the 3 bolt type, both small and large engine. Though my knowledge my not be complete.

Also, I have a spare Stromberg AAV-16, I'm willing to sell.

Keith

From the photo's I have seen Buick used 2 3 bolt mounting carb's on both the 248ci & 320ci.

Would appreciate if this could be confirmed (or denied)

The compound carburetion carburetors, both Carter and Stromberg, were 3-bolt flanges for both the 248 and 320 engines.

While the carburetors will PHYSICALLY interchange, the internal venturii size for the 320 engines is significantly larger than the internal venturii size for the 248 engines.

The Strombergs used on both the 248 and 320 compound carburetion were the AAV-16 (primary) and AA-1 (secondary). Again, different internally.

The single carb engines used different carbs from the compound carburetion engines: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kbuick2.htm

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Cool find, Lawrence! I looked at that car but never noticed the carb linkage.

This leads me to a question: do you need two front carburetors to do a fixed linkage like that? I'm toying with the idea of running a fixed linkage rather than the stock progressive linkage on my '41 Limited, just to see what happens. I figured it would still start and idle just fine on the front carb, but the rear carb would come online as soon as I tipped into the throttle, making more power and perhaps it would be smoother, too. The sucker already runs great, so I'm not terribly eager to modify it, but if the change is easy and can be switched back, why not see what happens?

I recently bought a second dual carb setup for a big series engine just to get the exhaust manifolds (those on the Limited are cracked), and it came with an intake with dual Rochester 2-barrels of some sort, so obviously somebody was running a modified motor. Not sure I want to change carbs, but can anyone smarter than I am verify that it'll work fine with a fixed linkage and the standard Stromberg carbs?

Thanks!

Hi Matt, I think you have to think of this setup as two single carburetor four cylinder motors your trying to hook together end to end and you want them both to perform like exact twins through the RPM range for the best power and smoothness.,,makes sense right? If you use the rear carburetor in parallel linkage then you will have two different motors hooked together. That rear carb is setup and jetted to work only in progressive linkage as it has some gaping holes in its design as a stand alone carburetor. Think of how nice the motor would start with a rear choke and accelerator pump for the already leaned out rear cylinders. From all the prewar Buick racing history and race tuning I have found online and in old Bugle issues this was the hot setup for dual carbs on 320 motors in stock car and drag racing. I have seen many photos of multi carb Buick racing eights so they can breath better. fuel symmetry in the intake manifold is key and the Buick though innovative is primitive in regard to mixture distribution. You can see how easy it was to hook up the linkage in the nice auction photos. Looks like just a special plate made up for the front carb to mount the rod to rear and the removal of the secondary rod to pedal. So I am working on a plan to get it done and I will report back in a few months! Owner of the car on Ebay does say it works great but thats how he bought it , Like to know who built it? All the Best Lawrence

Matt - it could be made to "work"; but NEVER as well as two fronts, and PERHAPS not as well as just using the stock progressive linkage. The only way to know for sure is to try it. As Lawrence stated, the rear carbs are missing quite a lot as compared to the front or a normal carb. They were really only designed for basically wide open throttle.

Jon.

Lawrence, that`s what I would think, hook it up to one carb. and plug the other.  The way that vac. line is hooked to both.. look how many places you could possibly have a leak. I like the idea of the parallel set up. My engine (`41 248) has Carter type carbs.  Tom

One vacuum is enough, i have blocked the rear one on my 2 Frontcarbs (the pic there up is my car). But i have changed the thin oem metal line for a bigger one.

The Engine accelerate so fast that there is in that moment not enough vacuum on the Dist can.