GEE SIR THAT'S QUITE A TOOL YOU HAVE

Mssr. Bwatoe

Just wondering what the part number is on this KR Wilson tool?  I have one that looks very similar with a part

#8000-E. It also has "85" in the casting. I assume it's for a flathead 85. Will be pulling the V12 out of a '39.

and not sure how to pull that engine? Do I need something like what Jeff is picturing? Thanks!

The Shop Notes, show the engine being removed with a chain attached to the exhaust manifold bolts. I have pulled a V-8 using a plate mounted to the intake area, but I would wonder about doing a 12 cylinder the same way. I would want to have at least 4 bolts holding the plate and would prefer to use 6 for a 12 cylinder block.

Hi, the tool belongs to Jim Z..I have used it maybe one time out of say 40..I usually bolt a chain onto the flat intake area

in order to let me tilt it out, pull hood, pull rad pull fan and intake..The tool is made for v-12/v-8s and slips into chamber like a wedge, 

pins on top guide into heat riser bores..

A plate with a hook would be neat..chk ebay or v-Ford sources should work on both

I don't have my plate any more. It was made of 1/4" steel with a 3/8" U-bolt in the center. There were 4 holes drilled to allow bolts to fasten the plate to the block, where the manifold was.

The photo in the Shop Notes is very cluttered and does not show the exhaust manifold attachment. The Manzel Tool catalog shows two chains with hooks on the end, joined by a lifting ring and 2 plates that will accept the hook and holes to accept the bolts for the exhaust manifold.

I don't have my scanner working, so I can't post a drawing.

Thank you, Gentlemen! Some good ideas here...If a guy goes with the plate bolted to the intake manifold deck, where

do the hooks or U-bolt get placed on the plate to keep the engine balanced as it's pulled out...towards the bell housing end of the block, but how far?

Wayne

I used two 1/2" eyes with nuts and washers underneath the plate to keep from pulling through.  That way I could slip the chain between the hooks and grab a link or two fore and aft with cherry picker as needed to balance.  I pulled up in front a bit more than back.  V-12 is heaavy.  I pulled from front, (and put a crease in license plate) but some of us go over the fender.

Abe