My computer just finally died, any suggestions for a new one?

auburnseeker

Unfortunately I don't have the blue arrow to go back (that was on my old pavilion).  All I have is a silhouted black arrow that when I right click on it says back with no options. 

The arrow won't be "blue" until you have accessed several different webpages (right click will not be available until there is some page history from your current IE11 session).

A newer feature in IE11 you might be able to use to reference a previous page, such as one of your previous ebay listings, is multiple tabs.  When I want to be able to reference several pages by going back and forth between the pages I will open each page in a separate IE11 tab (to do this right click your link and choose open page in new tab).  Then I can just click the page I want from the tab line.  Not quite the same as going back in history but for the right circumstance it works pretty well. - Bob

Warranty is a good idea, antivirus probably wasn't that bad, I just can't ever get myself to pay for antivirus. Avast! free and Malwarebytes work perfectly.

I know, being a customer, that on some accounts AT&T provides McAfee Anti-virus software free (for life) for up to 4 computers.  I have it on 2 at present, and will put it on a third when my Norton subscription expires.

I think you may still be able to return the HP and get a Mac. It'll probably be easier than work your bugs out. ;)

I think if I picked up a MAC for the first time with no other experience it would be like trying to teach a 60 year old that never drove a car with manual transmission to drive a 6 speed stick for the first time with no shift pattern on the shift knob in the middle of the Rockies.

Bob; I didn't think about opening a new tab and working from their.  I guess that would be one way around it for now.   I'll give that a try tonight.

Last night it must have performed an update.  When my wife  opened it up this morning it kept giving her a bunch of picture choices for a home page but she couldn't figure out how to access anything from that page as there were no icons just full screen landscapes. 

I figured out a left click moved it to reveal the start screen. 

Ok don't change the rules once I just start figuring out how to play the game.  LOL

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Ok don't change the rules once I just start figuring out how to play the game.  LOL

That's exactly how Windows plays the game. Macs haven't changed how you work with them, at least not in the 10 years I've used them. You may think using one is like driving that 6 speed but you eventually discover the paddle shifter, then driving one couldn't be easier.

auburnseeker,

I was thinking that maybe the IE browser look different/confusing because you are using the "new" browser (called EDGE) which Microsoft now bundles with Win 10.  The new EDGE browser is set as the default when you first start Win 10 but the original IE11 browser is still there, you just need to find and open it.

You can find the IE11 browser by:  in the search field to the right of the start button type "Internet Explorer" --> a list of search results should appear with "Internet Explorer Desktop App" at the top --> right click on "Internet Explorer Desktop App" and choose "Pin to Taskbar" (this will save the IE11 icon to your taskbar at the bottom.  Then you can simply click this icon to use the old more familiar browser.

There is a way to make the IE11 browser the default browser for all you do in Win 10.  If that is something you would like to set just let me know. - Bob

Did you ever check the old machine to see if the processor was running too hot?

You know how those modern mechanics look at an old car and say it can't be fixed or you'll never find parts for it. Some guys are actually keeping old cars going; could apply to old computers.

post-89785-0-32156000-1453216743_thumb.j

And they look like it. That's what is running this morning.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Still fighting with the new piece of crap.

Now it won't let me reply to email's or mark them as read unless I manually mark them as read.  I also can't compose any kind of emails.  I thought it was a Yahoo problem but it hasn't worked for over a day now.  It also did an update recently so maybe that's the problem.  Has anyone had a problem similar to this with windows 10 and their email?

In an unrelated problem when I left click the mouse I often get Right click options instead of just inserting a cursor or clicking on a tab or link.  It helps a little if I stick strictly to less than a square inch of this space but occasionally will still do it.

Get it right and first thing you do is to create a recovery disk or flash and a system image backup. That way if something screws up you can get back to where you were. That and incremental backups for changes since the last image is a good thing.

If you send me a PM with what it is doing, maybe I can help. Windows 10 can be finicky but once set up the way you want it, it does run faster/smoother and with more options than Windows 7. I am on 10 right now.

Windows 10 is indeed "finicky". After exploring the current programs available the bank my sister works for just upgraded to Windows 7. When I worked for the Federal government they kept the DOS based Windows 95 until they had to upgrade to XP to access various sites and systems. I understand they just upgraded to Windows 7.

I think Microsoft did a disservice by releasing Windows 19 prematurely. Many of us are not computer literate enough to fix a "finicky" system.

Just my two cents.

Well the early versions last year were really bad, would not run at all on many machines. Even majors make mistakes. IBM knocked themselves out of their own market with OS/2 (can still see traces of IBM in the BIOS and video ) Microsoft would prefer mot to mention Millennia or Vista and had to slipstream fixes into DOS, at least the OS does not destroy disks any more...

Windows 8 (along with RT) was MS's attempt to take over the mobile market but for the tabs they were hostage to Intel's failure to provide thermal management for 64 bit machines (finally released last year). Metro is what MS figured would be a common "look and feel" for PCs, tablets, and phones.

I've been using portables with a docking station for about a decade and makes perfect sense to have both a desktop environment with dual monitors, wired Ethernet, and lotsa peripherals & a mobile one usable while travelling. Windows 10 if flexible enough to make use of such an environment - with 8 and 8.1 I had to force it. 10 makes it easy.

But out of the box it tries to be both a tab and a desktop and does neither well but can be tuned.

This is really a wonderful time to be as Automotive electronics has become the new frontier and "anytime/anywhere" is a reality. We also walk dogs.

Thanks Bob.  I may take you up on that when I get a machine that I think will work for me.  This computer seems to have issues Physically with the way it operates.  The mouse pad is a terrible big block (one instead of 3) that actually has to move like keys to operate with very loud clicks.  Because of that I think whatever sensor it is using is getting the wrong signals and giving me right click option when I am left clicking.  This happens frequently and I was even being very conscious of the way I was using it when I saw it fail repeatedly.  I think it was just a bad choice.  The store said they will take it back if under 2 weeks, so it looks like Monday it goes back and we go from their.

I've never tried a MAC other than back in the dino age of computers in Highschool.

I'm going to be open to options.  I wish I had a place to go to that would build me a machine with exactly what I wanted and would sit down with me just long enough to show me the basics.  I can't even get the personal assistant on my computer to help unless I set up an account with Microsoft.  That seems pretty crazy.

Make a list of "musts" and "wants" and I can probably tell you if something like that exists.

Keep in mind that I am a fan of a real keyboard/mouse/monitor when at home and something easily portable on the road.

Buying a $20 or $25 big clunky Microsoft basic mouse and covering the built in mousepad with a sticky note will make a world of difference. Without covering the built in mousepad all kinds of weird things happen every tine a hand or finger gets too close to it.

I don't have a problem with my old mouse pad and it actually has deep grooves worn in it.  This new one is terrible.  My wife's is better than this but has a heavy texture to it.  Do they design it for the blind?  It's like 50 grit sandpaper. 

For a machine,  I want a lap top similar to what I had that died.  It was my 68 dart with a slant 6. 

I need something fairly basic.  I do no gaming what so ever.  I do occassionally watch some You tube tutorial videos,  Search craigslist Hemmings,  this site of course and read the news on line.  I do google image searches as well as a few sites that I identify parts on but they seem very basic.  Even the advertising is really minimal. 

I do use it quite a bit for business.  My business being ebay.  I list around 15 items a night probably 355 days a year.  I load a lot of low quality photos in it.  Between 50 and 100 a night.  It doesn't really need to have a ton of memory as I can delete the photos.  Very few are ones I actually want to save.  I would say there are probably less than 100 photos I want off my old computer if I get it running.

I have yahoo email so it needs to work well with that as it seems to be finicky regardless of what computer I use.  that's about all I use my computer for.  I would like a nice clear picture but I don't need super crazy HD.  Good sound would be nice but I still listen to AM radio from 60 miles away that barely comes in so it doesn't really need to be a Bose system. 

I want a solid mouse pad that doesn't move but it can have truly segmented sections.  I might actually prefer that.  I don't use it for really much of anything else. I think I only have one or 2 programs that are on their own disc or card that I might run on a rare occasion.  They are mostly parts ID programs so I don't think they need much power to run them.

Since I'm on it all the time I want it to work when I push the keys,  not hesitate or do nothing until I click it three or four times.  Every time I have to redo what I just did,  I'm loosing time. 

I just want a basic user friendly machine.  ​I don't need all the other Bells and Whistles. Just like the Dart.  Manual windows and locks, basic rubber matt,  you get the idea.   

I really want a 17 inch screen as well.

Any recommendations based on those needs?  This is going back Monday and I'm probably headed a little further south to a Best buy to see if I can find something that's better.  Looking to spend under a 1000 out the door.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

You can hook up a lap top to an external monitor 27 inch??

Buy a docking station and run two 27 inch monitors..

The cost only 99.00 or a little more..

You have to down load the drivers to get it to work with two monitors.. It is not a Lenovo product..

Look at the S/N for the Fox con brand..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3KM8218&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Notebook+Port+Replicators+%2F+Docking+Stations-_-9SIA6ZP3KM8218&gclid=CMD6ifChv8oCFQymaQodcK4KIA&gclsrc=aw.ds

post-139936-0-61405500-1453528401_thumb.

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Most laptops will support a single external monitor (my current set are 22, 23, 24 and 27" but for two you need a docking station (I have a Targus but today would buy a Mediasonic. ). Just make sure the monitor(s) support at least 1920x1080 (I use a 27" AOC in my camper)

Personally like the Acer R14 series with 14" screen & Win 10-64 for travel but then I have more computers than cars. Do keep them confined to my office upstairs.

Shot is of my current desktop (have been building computers/offices into closets for years. Towers are left and center, R14 displaying on right. All Win 10 (finally finished upgrading a tower from 7 to 10 with my apps intact & same look/feel as 7 yesterday - fought me every inch). After staring at CRTs since 1970, mostly for 8-10 hours a day, I do not settle for small displays.

ps might also want to look here.

post-76431-0-47032500-1453569295_thumb.j

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

If excellent cursor/mouse control is one of your key requirements take a look at the Lenovo laptops.  Make sure to look at the "Thinkpad" business line, as the keyboards on the Lenovo Thinkpads are some of the best available.  The tactile response of the keys is some of the best I have used on a laptop.  But I find the best feature of the Thinkpad laptops is their design approach to cursor control.  Not only do the Thinkpads have a traditional trackpad but they also have a "joystick" mouse right in the middle of the keypad (see my attachment).  You can literally use just the joystick, use just the trackpad, or use both.  And the joystick mouse even supports mouse left click and supports page scroll when used with the "middle" trackpad button.  For trackpad use Lenovo still provides individual left and right mouse click buttons separate from the trackpad (no need to double or triple click the trackpad if you find those gestures less than easy to use).   And I think you can still get display up to 16 inches on some of Lenovo's Thinkpads. - Bob

Edited by vwlfan (see edit history)

With all these good suggestions, I don't want to be insulting, but is it possible to "test drive" before you buy?

You make an excellent point that not only are the specs of a laptop important it it's equally important to test how you like the ergonomics of a laptop.

About your only choice for a test drive is to go to a store like Best Buy and try out the laptop brands. The software will basically work the same on all the laptops so you want to find a form and fit you will be comfortable using day in an day out.

Edited by Butler Old Stone House (see edit history)

I'm headed to best buy on Monday I think.  Hopefully I will find spomething to my liking.  Then I'll deal with widnows 10 from their.

I don't feel comforatble buying a used headache from ebay.  I would prefer with my computer it's new and not one like the one I'm using that had issues the original owner didn't want to deal with.

I have an Acer Aspire One 532h (think keeping track of car models is hard...) netbook also running Win 10-64. Has been hot-rodded a bit. I think of Acer as the Pontiac of computers, they are often the first to market with things like ventless tablets (model 510, 2012). Don't get me started.

Test drives can be had at most public libraries. The computer center is one of their most popular services and they usually have 10 or more machines. You should be able to find a couple of configurations. You might have to wait your turn. It's usually the busiest part of the library.

Even if you aren't test driving computers stop in. They aren't the dusty old book archive they of the past. But they are threatened by extinction due to diminishing funds for operation.

Visit one tomorrow. The small ones aren't open on Sunday anymore.

Bernie

If excellent cursor/mouse control is one of your key requirements take a look at the Lenovo laptops.  Make sure to look at the "Thinkpad" business line, as the keyboards on the Lenovo Thinkpads are some of the best available.  The tactile response of the keys is some of the best I have used on a laptop.  But I find the best feature of the Thinkpad laptops is their design approach to cursor control.  Not only do the Thinkpads have a traditional trackpad but they also have a "joystick" mouse right in the middle of the keypad (see my attachment).  You can literally use just the joystick, use just the trackpad, or use both.  And the joystick mouse even supports mouse left click and supports page scroll when used with the "middle" trackpad button.  For trackpad use Lenovo still provides individual left and right mouse click buttons separate from the trackpad (no need to double or triple click the trackpad if you find those gestures less than easy to use).   And I think you can still get display up to 16 inches on some of Lenovo's Thinkpads. - Bob

attachicon.giflenovo_keyboard.jpg

I'm a HUGE fan of Lenovo machines with the joystick, they're well built or at least were as my current machine is just coming up to it seventh birthday. I had been through three laptops from other top manufacturers in the previous five years.

I use it for both work and play all day every day, which includes a fair bit of travel, so not having to pack a wireless mouse is a big plus.  I’m still running Windows 7 and I’m happy with it.

However I don't think you will find a Lenovo at Best Buy, they are into the computers for the masses not necessarily for those who have specific needs.

Good luck on your quest.

Bob

Edited by Gangster (see edit history)

The last Microsoft computer I had was a windows 8.1 After a year of dealing with nothing but problems and glitches my patients finally ran out. I took a sledge hammer to it. I now have an Apple with a 27 inch screen so I can see the letters and numbers better. Still not 100 percent schooled on it, but it has been good so far for what I want to do. Dandy Dave!  

post-87870-0-58448500-1453683053_thumb.j

Dave, I wouldn't have smashed a computer because of it operating system. You should have tried Linux in it.  It would worked better than any Windows POS.

Yeah, Sure. That POS wasted enough of my time jamming up, locking up, kicking off, Ect. Spent hours trying to find the problem with Tech Support with no one ever giving me an answer on the problem or a way to solve it. All they said was send it back to the factory. The warrantee was up and I let it have it. All the stress went away after about 10 swings and in the trash it went. I'll never buy another Microsoft Computer. The trouble with them is they just cannot seem to stick with a basic rule of a good product. And that rule is "Keep it simple stupid." Dandy Dave!