Sign in to follow this  
70sWagoneers

Need Detroit Electric "Starting Resistance"

Im working on a 1917chassis/1935body Model 68/97 Detroit Electric. Ive followed some faint lines on a wiring diagram and have come to a point where there is no treasure where the map says it is. The diagram says "starting resistance" but all I see is a blank space between two cable ends and some charred wood. So Im looking for specs or parts to buy. We can fabricate metal and wood at work if someone has specs (ohms Im guessing) and pictures/diagrams of said piece. Or could a store bought piece be retrofitted? Or.... does anyone have any "starting resistances" for sale? Or if anyone has any handy pictures of a "starting resistance" I would be grateful because Im not too sure what Im looking for. It is an 80volt motor system.

Thanks

James C.

post-154590-0-01456300-1452733545_thumb.

Edited by 70sWagoneers (see edit history)

Could someone with a 1917-ish Detroit Electric use a multimeter to find the resistance in their "starting resitance" and perhaps some dimensions or good pictures? Anything would be helpful.

Or if anyone knew how to calculate a useful resistance for my system that would be a start.

Thanks

James C.

Edited by 70sWagoneers (see edit history)

I actually found the blueprints for what I need, so now I know what it looks like. Can anyone help me figure what resistance it needs to be? It should have a measurable resistance in ohms from post to post. Then I can make my own I guess.

Here is the blueprint.

https://evmorg.s3.amazonaws.com/media/vehicles/detroit-electric/pdfs/DE%20_%2068%20-%2069%20-%2075%20-%2076%20-%2089%20-%2090%20_%201916%20_%20Motor%20Resistance%20Assembly.pdf?Signature=P0%2FdHhjUlGpWH8yW0sQXcjIrfgQ%3D&Expires=1453822507&AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ7KXLR6MQAGNSPVQ

Not sure if you are still working on this but there is a resister for Detroit Electric on eBay that has been made by the Vancouver Electric Vehicle association based on copying the resister from my 1914 and information from the electric vehicle museum