1940 Limiited model 90

gtjr

1940 Buick Limited model 90. Has jump seats, leather front seat, and side mounts, a barn find very, very complete. Only things I can see missing are the radio and the running board moldings, while I have not been under the vehicle the only rust I see is in the trunk over the gas tank underneath the original rubber mat. I peeked under the corner of the carpet and did not find any rust. Wheel lips and inner fenders and side mount wells do not appear to have any rust at all. Obviously this vehicle has been in a garage or other covered storage all its life.

It needs, interior complete, that includes painting the woodgrain as well. Gauges are in good condition, dash has a little rust, but you can imagine what a 70 year old interior looks like, yes it needs a total redo.

History is a gentleman bought it from a woman, could have been a one owner vehicle at that time, in the mid sixties. It was his toy and in the early 90’s he had the motor rebuilt, but the person who did it has passed away. Then it went to a body shop for paint. The paint leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. The owner last drove it in 1997 and passed away in the early 2000’s. His daughter held the vehicle until last year and convinced a friend to buy it from her. He has now decided he does not want to put into it what it needs, it is not him so he says. It may be possible to speak to the daughter and she remembers when her father bought it and probably can fill in the history as she was a teenager at that time.

Data plate reads

40 model  90

Style 40-4923

Body 42c or 428 it is right where they punched the hole and it is distorted

Trim  827

Paint 543

So what is my interest? I am terrified that this very rare Buick will be hacked up by some rat rodder, he has had someone already approach him. I do not have the facilities to tackle a project like this and hopefully someone will so this vehicle can be restored to its former glory. If you are interested send me an email at  beenther1@hotmail.com   and I can send some additional pictures, or contact the owner at  336-215-1833. The vehicle is located on a farm west of Raleigh, NC.

post-108120-0-31264600-1452650055_thumb.

post-108120-0-06476600-1452650067_thumb.

post-108120-0-48499600-1452650098_thumb.

This is one of those cases, as I've said before, you do for love not money. One will get upside down on this project in no time at all. Though as far one can tell from the so so pics, it looks like a good car. I too would love to see someone get it and restore it. Even a "garage restoration", not to show standards of course, or perhaps get some repairs done, and drive it as is, any of these would be better than it getting wrecked in some fashion.

My few cents worth only.

Keith

• Like 1

I purchased my 41 Limited, for $200.00, YES Two Hundred Dollars. That was in 1973 outside Flint.

I did ALL the work myself, well, hired the interior, and exhaust.  New Crate engine, and tranny, still ended up with over $25,000.00 in the car.  Now that was back in the mid 90's, so gives you an idea of costs.

I could take the 40, and for approx. $10,000.00 have a decent driver, WITHOUT a new interior, so if you are interested in this piece, and have the skills to do MOST of the work, then expect to end up with a driver in the $20k range.  If that is what you want, then YOU MAKE THE CHOICE.

In my opinion the 40 isn't as handsome as a 38-39, or 41, but that's just me.

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I guess I'm pretty surprised that you can buy a big Buick that's already "done" for only $20K. I know from experience that restoration is a money-losing proposition, but that seems an extreme markdown from the $70K restoration estimate. My thought is that this would not be a bad car to start with if you're interested in the fun of working on it yourself and aren't after museum quality perfection. Just something that's fun to drive and enhance without the hassles of major rust repair or a complete mechanical rebuild. On that basis, I think it's pretty competitive with a lot of similar vintage cars I see for $6-8K that don't have the cachet of a Buick.  

• Like 1

I believe you but I'm still awfully surprised. I suppose that I'm an example of the phenomenon you mention to some degree, as I prefer the smaller models like the Century or even the 40 to limos like the 90. But, even tho I should be nostalgic for the 1965 Mustangs and Superbees that were hot when I was a teenager, I'd rather have the 90. than any of them

Peter S.

• Like 1

Here's a 1941 75 Series Cadillac limousine in near-usable condition for $19,000 and I bet it could be had for $17,000. There is no logical reason to restore one of these big brutes, and yes, I'd agree that $8000 is an ambitious price for a car in need of everything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111875121474?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That said, I do think these big limousines are the biggest bang for the buck in terms of Full Classics that will get you into all the big events. They're nice to drive, have good road manners, plenty of space for the whole family, and even if they're not in demand, their values are pretty stable so you'll always be able to sell it for about what you paid. I like them a lot and this is a worthy car, but just make sure you're restoring it because you love the car and want to do the work. This is the opposite of a situation where a little elbow grease will make you some money.

• Like 1

A question for gtjr, the original poster, what is the asking price of the car and is it negotiable?

Clears throat...."what is the CURRENT asking price and is it negotiable?

Love that back seat with jump seats and suicide doors. For the right price this could be a fun car for someone to redo the brakes, put new tires on, detail as nicely as possible and enjoy as at least a money back guarantee investment. Cars like these, even in this condition get a lot of attention at car shows.

post-108120-0-06476600-1452650067.jpg

http://forums.aaca.org/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-108120-0-06476600-1452650067.jpg

• Like 1

A question for gtjr, the original poster, what is the asking price of the car and is it negotiable?

Yes I understand it is. I emailed him last week and suggested he get the fuel system cleaned and get the motor running, fix the brakes so at least one can drive it to be sure the major mechanicals are sound. I cited the fact that there have been a lot of shady characters in this hobby.

Peter

This is - in my opinion - one of those cases where you can get a nice car already done for $20,000 or less, sometimes, much less. The closed car "classics" are bargains more or less, if you have a spare $12,000 to $20,000. 

So, spending $8,000 on a car that would cost $75,000 to do right, doesn't make economic sense. Sometimes, these cars find new buyers who pay close to what is asked.  In fact, in the current scenario that sounds like what "might" have happened. It has sort of been flipped a couple of times recently.

I suspect the prices exchanged were $4000 or less and the asking price now is an attempt to make a nice profit, but I can't be sure.

The car might sell for close to that $8000, but it would need to sell to someone with a nice nest egg to restore it. If it sells to someone for $8000 who is not well informed on the costs to restore properly, then we will see it again in a couple of years when the wife tells him she wants her garage back.

Same $8000 asking price.....

I just want to see some of these cars get restored.  Many are getting further and further in the rear view mirror. 

Granted you can buy already done Supers and Special sedans for under 20k, and that is all they are, common cars that they built many thousands of, nothing special, just an old car. If this was a Special or even a Roadmaster, I would not take the time to post it. You apparently do not realize this is an AACA classic. They probably built no more than a few hundred of these, when was  the last time you saw a 40 Limited on the 139 inch wheelbase? How many have you seen? That is the point of my post this is a very rare vehicle that needs to be saved, not hacked up by some hot rodder and replacing the straight eight with a belly button motor, aka Chevy. 

The owner is a farmer, not a reseller of vehicles, I take offense to your intimating that he is just a car flipper when you have never even met the man. How does a vehicle that has been in one family since 1966 that was sold recently all of a sudden become the same as those that have gone through many hands? I have suggested to him that he gets the motor running and make sure it has brakes so it can be driven on  the road to verify the condition of the drive train. Most likely the cost to restore is around 50K to do it right, but when you are done you have something special, not just an everyday vehicle that is not special. Compare that to someone that spent 25 to 30K to restore a Special or Super sedan that is worth 12 to 18K.. If all you are looking for is an old car to drive, this vehicle is not for you, I get that.

Peter

This is - in my opinion - one of those cases where you can get a nice car already done for $20,000 or less, sometimes, much less. The closed car "classics" are bargains more or less, if you have a spare $12,000 to $20,000. 

So, spending $8,000 on a car that would cost $75,000 to do right, doesn't make economic sense. Sometimes, these cars find new buyers who pay close to what is asked.  In fact, in the current scenario that sounds like what "might" have happened. It has sort of been flipped a couple of times recently.

I suspect the prices exchanged were $4000 or less and the asking price now is an attempt to make a nice profit, but I can't be sure.

The car might sell for close to that $8000, but it would need to sell to someone with a nice nest egg to restore it. If it sells to someone for $8000 who is not well informed on the costs to restore properly, then we will see it again in a couple of years when the wife tells him she wants her garage back.

Same $8000 asking price.....

I just want to see some of these cars get restored.  Many are getting further and further in the rear view mirror. 

Edited by gtjr (see edit history)

Imperial 62,

Granted you can buy already done Supers and Special sedans for under 20k, and that is all they are, common cars that they built many thousands of, nothing special, just an old car. If this was a Special or even a Roadmaster, I would not take the time to post it. You apparently do not realize this is an AACA classic. They probably built no more than a few hundred of these, when was  the last time you saw a 40 Limited on the 139 inch wheelbase? How many have you seen? That is the point of my post this is a very rare vehicle that needs to be saved, not hacked up by some hot rodder and replacing the straight eight with a belly button motor, aka Chevy. 

The owner is a farmer, not a reseller of vehicles, I take offense to your intimating that he is just a car flipper when you have never even met the man. How does a vehicle that has been in one family since 1966 that was sold recently all of a sudden become the same as those that have gone through many hands? I have suggested to him that he gets the motor running and make sure it has brakes so it can be driven on  the road to verify the condition of the drive train. Most likely the cost to restore is around 50K to do it right, but when you are done you have something special, not just an everyday vehicle that is not special. As far as value, you most likely could buy three Special or Super sedans that are in good shape for the value of this vehicle.Compare that to someone that spent 25 to 30K to restore a Special or Super sedan that is worth 12 to 18K.. If all you are looking for is an old car to drive, this vehicle is not for you, I get that.

I guess I'm pretty surprised that you can buy a big Buick that's already "done" for only $20K. I know from experience that restoration is a money-losing proposition, but that seems an extreme markdown from the $70K restoration estimate. My thought is that this would not be a bad car to start with if you're interested in the fun of working on it yourself and aren't after museum quality perfection. Just something that's fun to drive and enhance without the hassles of major rust repair or a complete mechanical rebuild. On that basis, I think it's pretty competitive with a lot of similar vintage cars I see for $6-8K that don't have the cachet of a Buick.  

Peter,

You get it, the vehicle is not only pretty much complete, but has minimal rust, and the body is straight, you might be able to get by with a wet sand of the paint and a buff not show quality but passable. As I posted I have encouraged the farmer to get the vehicle so it can be driven to assess the drivetrain. I have no doubt the motor has been rebuilt but have not driven it to make sure the trans and rear end are operational.

WOW, That's a great old Buick. I sold my 40 Century sedan last year

and do miss it .

I don't think this Buick will last long, a good cleaning should make it

sparkle again and every old Straight eight Buick  stored a long

time usually needs the points reset, check the plugs and change the oil

and with fresh gas , it should fire !!!

Hope it goes to die-hard Buick guy and maybe we will see it in ALLENTOWN,

HINT-HINT " MR BULGARI "

Bill

Imperial 62,

The owner is a farmer, not a reseller of vehicles, I take offense to your intimating that he is just a car flipper when you have never even met the man. How does a vehicle that has been in one family since 1966 that was sold recently all of a sudden become the same as those that have gone through many hands? I have suggested to him that he gets the motor running and make sure it has brakes so it can be driven on  the road to verify the condition of the drive train. Most likely the cost to restore is around 50K to do it right, but when you are done you have something special, not just an everyday vehicle that is not special. As far as value, you most likely could buy three Special or Super sedans that are in good shape for the value of this vehicle.Compare that to someone that spent 25 to 30K to restore a Special or Super sedan that is worth 12 to 18K.. If all you are looking for is an old car to drive, this vehicle is not for you, I get that.

gtjr, we have somewhat of a gentleman's understanding/guideline in the For Sale forum that prices and condition of vehicles not be discussed here but rather through PM as it does indeed often cause dissenson. I as moderator try to maintain a middle ground and allow some friendly discussion of prices when I feel it is of interest and perhaps important for members to know if a price is exorbitantly high, which by the way I did not feel was the case here. I apologize for not stepping in and possibly editing some of the assuming and subjective comments. I and I am sure others appreciate your efforts in trying to find this car a good appreciable home.  

That car is cool!  I would fix the mechanicals on it and drive it unrestored. Show up at a show wearing period clothes that are in the same condition as the car. Worn hat, holes in the shoes, torn suit. Wife wearing similar worn out dress. Make it a theme and have fun with it!!!

Edited by s_hilmoe (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Back on Ebay at $10900  or offer !!!

The video on youtube shows the car as a real barn find, not

at all pretty.  I think this car would be a good buy if the engine 

is rebuilt as they state.

I have lots of little things going on with my 55 Special or I would

be in NC looking it over with trailer intow  and  a cash offer !!!

I need to stop looking at this car !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

• Like 4