Would like to be educated about splash shields for 4-cyl. cars

22touring

I never did get the straight scoop on splash shields for the 4-cylinder cars.  Were they always standard equipment on these cars, or only for a certain period of time, or am I completely misinformed?  If the 4-cyl. cars did have splash shields, what were they made of? Why did most or all of them apparently get thrown away? Was it because they were unnecessary and made it inconvenient to work on the engine?  Did they help cool the engine?  Are they still available anywhere? Can one make convincing replicas?  And is there anything else you can tell me about these splash shields? Thank you very much.  22tour

I believe they all came with them. I could be wrong. One of the reasons they took them off was that they would collect grease and dirt and leaves and other debris plus as you suggested, easier to access the engine. They are made of sheet metal and can be found, but are scarce. I know of a guy overseas who had some made from a drawing a friend here in the USA made for him. That was for a 1931, but there are guys who can reproduce them with a pattern or dimensions. I believe that they did help to cool the engine. I think they were originally to keep dirt and some puddle water out of the engine compartment.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

post-146842-0-30515500-1452601111_thumb.My 1924 Australian built DB has them on both sides. I would think they would be one of the first things on the car to rust out which is why most would be gone. My car came from a very dry climate so i have mostly surface rust. 

I think they got tossed because they were a pain to re-install, if they had to be removed - at least on my 29U Plymouth.  The entire exhaust pipe/ muffler must be undone from the manifold back to get that pan wrangled out.  It might be easier with a lift; a luxury I don't have.

They are a pain to install without bleeding. Many misinformed take them off thinking the engine will run cooler. This is exactly backwards, they funnel air from the radiator out the back of the compartment. There are many different variations over the years, Refer to the master parts book to find which ones belong on your car. 

Let me put my two cents in.  I have four cars that all had splash aprons when I purchased the cars.  A 1916 Model T Ford, 1923 Dodge, 1923 Star and a 1923 Moon.  The common thread between them is they all had mud on the bottom and a lot of stone dents and plenty of oil and grease on top.  You are talking about a car that cost $350 and one that cost $1300 when new so price didn't determine the use of pans.  I have always restored them and put them back and yes they can be a pain to work on the engine when they are in place.

I also have two cars with gaithers on the springs.

Have a nice winter.

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

My '17 Dodge which was untouched since '37 has them.  They are more than just for splash.  The engineers have them there to maintain air flow in the compartment past the back half of the engine as an aid to cooling.   Car companies didn't have the engineers create them and then install them adding to the cost of the car because they were unnecessary.   As mentioned above, they were a bother to mechanics, especially shade tree types who did not understand the principal, so they got tossed when the pan was cleaned or bearing shims removed.