R W Burgess

2016 AACA Sentimental Tour-Salisbury, NC

When can I make a hotel reservation?  I'd hate to get on the Tour, and not have a room.  I understand I had to get a registration number back to give to the hotel.  Is that correct?

Earl,

I suggest you make your reservation. I called the hotel number listed in the Tri-fold brochure and asked for the AACA rate and they made the reservation. I don't think you have to wait for a tour number before making a reservation.

Is there trailer parking at that place?  I made the reservation.  I found out from them there is a Comfort Suites six miles up the Interstate.  I think I'll ask their room rate tomorrow.  I would just hate not to be at the host hotel where everybody else is.   

I'm not coming in until Sunday, as the AACA rate only starts on Sunday.....God knows what the regular rate is.  Fortunately, I'll go to Virginia in May and drive down on Sunday morning from there.  That's about a 5-6 hour drive I think with the trailer.

Earl,

The tour is not full yet. Go ahead and make a room reservation at the host hotel. I checked at noon today and the hotel numbers match up with tour reservation numbers. There are rooms available.

Trailer parking is about 3 miles from the hotel, but there will be police security at the trailer parking and hotel.

Please call me for any other details...

Phillip

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

Any provisions for those who tow with RV's?  Campgrounds?  RV's allowed in trailer parking?

Any selections yet?  We're on the road and no mail caught up with us yet?

RV parking is at Dan Nicholas Park.

Call 1-866-767-2757 or 1-704-216-7803.

I did try to get RV parking at the trailer parking, but local authorities would not approve it.

As of Friday the tour is not full. Office mail does not come in before 4 PM, so I don't know what came in over the weekend.

When can we expect confirmation?  The State Park allows NO REFUNDS on reservations if cancelled.  We'll stay there if accepted and our passengers will stay in the host hotel if we can still get rooms there.

Will tourist acceptance be by email or US Mail?

Thanks

P.S.  When we began touring, the host club had the hotels require confirmation before booking rooms.  This eliminated the problem of having all the rooms taken by people in hopes of going, which made them sell out long before the cut off date for registration. .  

Paul, the tour is not full at this point. You are in!

Registration is through the HNR office and right now they are busy with vendor registration for Autofair. So, I spent about four hours tonight taking care of it myself. And hopefully I'll email you and everyone else tomorrow. I apologize for the delay!

Confirmation will be by email, as I said above.

The hotel still has rooms. Go ahead and make your reservations.

I did ask the hotel to wait for confirmation, exactly as you described.

Thanks Phil,

We'll assume that all  qualified applicants are accepted and go forward with plans to participate.

We know that hosting a tour is tremendous job that is not always fully supported by the national or regional clubs like the  

Trophy Shows. It's lots of work, but it's is a great way to showcase antique cars being used as originally intended.  Thanks

to your and your helpers in your region for allowing us to see your part of this wonderful & diverse country.

We only attend shows when they offer a local tour with the show.  It's our way to do what Diana Shore sang about in her 

song "See the USA in your Ford", or "In My Merry Volkswagen"  (See:  

)

We'll be there.

Paul & Inge Dobbin

We'll be there, and are looking forward to it !

• Like 1

We located the Carolina Country Campground on US 601 about 6 miles northwest of Salisbury.  Easier access to the host hotel an pull thru sites.for folks with trailered vehicles.  We'll see you all at the Sentimental Tour.

I understand there are still openings for this Sentimental Tour. Don't miss it guys. Philip Cole assured me that you will enjoy yourself....just stay away from Wayne, he said! :)

Just wondering if this tour was full yet.  I've tried contacting the tour chairman and registrar at the email addresses listed on my flyer, but all I've gotten is an angry reply from someone stating that he isn't affiliated with the tour and one "mail undeliverable" message.  Any info about whether space is still available and registration details would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JSGregory said:

Just wondering if this tour was full yet.  I've tried contacting the tour chairman and registrar at the email addresses listed on my flyer, but all I've gotten is an angry reply from someone stating that he isn't affiliated with the tour and one "mail undeliverable" message.  Any info about whether space is still available and registration details would be greatly appreciated!

For want of an "L" the email was lost...

I tracked Scott down and have sent him the information.

We had several people misspell both my email and the HNR email.  My email has the Old English spelling of home in it, which is "holme".  Leaving out that L sends it to a gentleman who apparently has no interest in classic cars. 

The HNR office email has CLT in it, which stands for Charlotte. A few folks typed an "I" in place of the L.  But they all were able to contact me (I think... I hope).  Thanks to Autofair the HNR email has worked well for decades.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion!

Phillip

Spelling does make a difference. If only Microsoft could figure out a way to make a computer do what someone wants it to do instead of what they actually asked it to do...:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Spelling does make a difference. If only Microsoft could figure out a way to make a computer do what someone wants it to do instead of what they actually asked it to do...:D

From the year 2056:

HAL, please register me for the Sentimental Tour.

Yes, Dave. Which one of your classic cars do you want to register? 

The Bolt, HAL... Why do you ask?

Well, Dave, you know I'm not mind reader! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Yes, my last name is Bowman and the address at that time was 2001.....Arnold Drive.  Lots of kidding in those days

18 hours ago, Phillip Cole said:

For want of an "L" the email was lost...

I tracked Scott down and have sent him the information.

We had several people misspell both my email and the HNR email.  My email has the Old English spelling of home in it, which is "holme".  Leaving out that L sends it to a gentleman who apparently has no interest in classic cars. 

The HNR office email has CLT in it, which stands for Charlotte. A few folks typed an "I" in place of the L.  But they all were able to contact me (I think... I hope).  Thanks to Autofair the HNR email has worked well for decades.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion!

Phillip

Phillip, how many slots do think are left for this tour? Mr. "B" of Florida says he wants it full!  :-)

On 4/11/2016 at 10:26 AM, R W Burgess said:

I understand there are still openings for this Sentimental Tour. Don't miss it guys. Philip Cole assured me that you will enjoy yourself....just stay away from Wayne, he said! :)

It may be difficult to stay away from Wayne - if you see a car disabled on the side of the road, and decide to pullover to help, chances are pretty good that Wayne will already be there offering assistance.....

Years ago, he even bought an Essex especially for the Sentimental Tour. As I recall, it looked like a moonshiner's still from certain angles, but he finished the tour with it!

Looking forward to seeing y'all on the Sentimental, as well as all other AACA National and Divisional Tours.

........ and if you are interested, we would like to do a Tour or meet in your area....

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Years ago, he even bought an Essex especially for the Sentimental Tour. As I recall, it looked like a moonshiner's still from certain angles, but he finished the tour with it!

He did finish the tour... thanks to another guy who brought another Essex to use as a parts supply for the week. I can't ever let him live that one down. I think by the end of the week the other Essex was about 50 pound lighter with all of the parts that were removed and put on Wayne's car.  :D 

Tour folks do help each other out like that. When one car stops by the side of the road, lots of mechanics happen by and can usually get it back underway. If you do enough tours you will probably find yourself needing some help sometime. I once had a beautiful Model A Ford that decided to stop running. Wayne's 1933 Ford Truck might not have looked or sounded that good, but it got me to the trailer for some parts and back to the Model A to get it running again. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R W Burgess said:

Phillip, how many slots do think are left for this tour? Mr. "B" of Florida says he wants it full!  :-)

Wayne, I have the right to remain silent....

• Like 1

Fair enough Phillip. Folks, from Phillip's response you can still sign up for the Sentimental Tour. It's a club of its own. You will run into the same characters at every one of these tours. Families still together! :-)

Okay, deadline was April 1. We are now 27 days past that, and I need to give a final people/car count to vendors and caterers. So, registration is now closed for 2016 Sentimental Tour.

We have several cars from West of the Mississippi and Canada. With 158 tourists in 72 cars, yes, all the way from 1928 to 1958, it has shaped up to be a great tour.

Thanks to all who have decided to come along for the ride!