1969 Plymouth Fury Question

trickydicky43richard

Fury I....lowest of the Fury line with no bright side trim or striping.

Fury II....mid-line Fury with side trim that was at the same level as the top of the grille.

Fury III....upper line Fury with side trim and better (more plush) interior trim.

I think they were all the same body throughout the Fury line.

For more information, look for a book called, "The Plymouth and DeSoto Story" by Don Butler. Most of the information in it is correct.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Fury 1 was basically used as a cop car or taxi and few private citizens bought them. Fury 2 was the regular Plymouth full size car line and bought by those who wanted basic transportation especially by those favoring the 3 on the tree manual transmission with no a/c, power steering or brakes and a plain bench seat. Fury 3 was the nice trim level and most I've seen have had a center armrest front bench seat, automatic trans, V8, power steering and brakes, and few other options that weren't part of a basic group (yes, some were loaded). The Sport Fury was higher trim level and usually had lots of options but occasionally rather basic. The VIP was the luxury trim version but some were rather low on power options just having the really nice interiors and appearance items.

What sort of items are you seeking?  Mechanical items are very similar to prior Chrysler C-body cars, many things might go back to about 1966 models, depending upon what sort of parts are being sought.  Basic engine and transmission items should be available.  Seems like Chrysler started using some different rear axle assemblies in the C-body cars about that time?  Might depend upon engine choice, though.  There were some different brake drum configurations, starting in 1969, but I highly suspect the earlier drums might work . . . although you have to look "between the lines" and at "industry part numbers" to find the correct width brake drums.  Many evolutionary changes over the years!

A/C cases had a bad issue with water leakage into the passenger side front footwell.  An issue with the gasket material between the case halves.  PM me for more details.

Body items can be problematic.  The '65-'68s are starting to get some "respect" from interior suppliers as Legendary Interiors, but mainly in seat foam cushions and covers.  Haven't seen anything for the '69-'73 model year series cars, though.  Possibly some door weatherstrips?  There are several Mopar-only salvage yards which would be the main source for body items (other than some emblems).

From what I saw locally/regionally, the most popular of the Furys was the Fury III as it was the "family car" competitor for the Chevy Impala and Ford Galaxie 500 models.  Most were 318 V-8s with TorqueFlite and "Basic Group" option package (which got the power steering, power drum brakes, factory a/c, whitewalls and wheel covers, AM radio and rear speaker, hood insulator pad, and the Light Group options).  Most of the marketing programs were geared toward such Fury III models.  Fury II and Fury I were more "fleet" vehicles, whether municipal or company cars.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Info for 63 thru 79

A = 63-76 Dart, 64-69 Barracuda, 63-76 Valiant and Duster.

B = 76-79 Cordoba, 65-75 Coronet, 66-78 Charger, 77-78 Monoco, 78-79 Magnum, 65-74 Belvedere, Satellite, and 75-78 Fury

C = Chrysler, 62-76 Polara, Monaco, Fury, 67-75 Imperial.

D = 62-66 Imperial.

E = 70-74 Challenger, and Barracuda.

• 2 weeks later...

Chrysler did indeed put disc brakes on some of the early big cars.

They have Budd calipers if I am not mistaken.

The rotors are not available anywhere that  could find. So take care of those.

That's a pretty nice looking car you  have there.

I KNOW !!!!!!!!!

Even though Chrysler Australia built about 400 of these per year in Rhd format, spares are scarce as. There is more spares available in OZ for obscure Left Hooker Chrysler derivative imports. Interestingly silly Aussie buyers pay twice as much for a Lhd import equivalent cause I guess it is American,I cant fathom their logic.

If you go to a hot rod or muscle car show here now you will find more than half are Lhd imports, I cant see how anyone here would enjoy driving a left hooker on our Rhd roads. I've said enough !!! However would my fellow Americans import a nice Rhd car to drive there or show I wonder??

R

Edited by trickydicky43richard (see edit history)

Don't know how involved I would get as far as importing, but I had a Bentley once that was RHD.

It bothered my passengers more than it bothered me.

Made it difficult to see around a car in front if I wanted to pass.

post-95665-0-69418400-1453920658_thumb.j

Info for 63 thru 79

A = 63-76 Dart, 64-69 Barracuda, 63-76 Valiant and Duster.

B = 76-79 Cordoba, 65-75 Coronet, 66-78 Charger, 77-78 Monoco, 78-79 Magnum, 65-74 Belvedere, Satellite, and 75-78 Fury

C = Chrysler, 62-76 Polara, Monaco, Fury, 67-75 Imperial.

D = 62-66 Imperial.

E = 70-74 Challenger, and Barracuda.

The 1962 Plymouth, Dart and Polara were B body - the first year for the B.  Thus the B includes 1962-64 Plymouth and 1962-64 Dodge.  The Coronet should be 1965-76

The C body should be 1962-78 Chrysler, 1962-64 Dodge 880, 1965-74 Fury, 1975-77 Gran Fury, 1965-73 Polara, 1965-76 Monaco, 1977-78 Royal Monaco, 1967-75 Imperial