Sun visor glass

Guest Dbalfisto

Guest Dbalfisto

Towing my 24 special six home to TN from ME I lost (shattered) the (oh well unsafe) dark green front visor glass. Dues anyone know of a suitable replacement safety glass?

Dbalfisto

You can buy standard laminated safety glass in nominal 1/4" thickness from almost any glass shop.  It may be a lighter tint than you want, but it's green safety glass.

There are people who make custom architectural laminated glass who could make something exactly the same color, if you saved some pieces to use as a match.  The polyvinyl butyral (PVB) middle layer can be easily dyed using oil-soluble dyes to any shade you want, then it gets laminated in an autoclave between two sheets of 3/32" clear class.  This is not for the home mechanic, unfortunately.  A long time ago, I developed some industrial processes for doing this, even experimented with throwing 1/16" thick PVB sheets and RIT dye into the home washing machine.  It worked pretty well, but my now ex-wife didn't really appreciate the science, LOL. The phthalocyanine-based dyes make good, light-stable greens and blues that will diffuse uniformly into PVB film over a period of a few days to weeks when the dyed sheets are aged.  Those graded windshield tints are made using these materials.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalocyanine_Green_G

There are also sheets of colored glass, as used by people who make stained glass art work.  These sheets are not cheap and may not be as smooth and flat as you want, but it may be worth a Google search.  Finding a large enough piece might be difficult.  However, try http://www.spectrumglass.com and see their transparent colors.  I think the sheets come in sizes up to 24"x48".  This won't be safety glass, though.  No chemistry required.

Your local hobby shop (Dick Blick, Michael's, A.C. Moore, etc.) may also have glass painting supplies that could be used to paint color on clear or light green safety glass. See the Pebeo Vitrail colors if your sun visor isn't exposed to the weather.  

I have an original visor with dark green glass intact...I recall it being safety glass as there were some signs of delamination.  I'm not sure if it is from a Big or Special Six and will take another look at it.  What size is yours?

Scott

• 2 weeks later...