Pontiac 239 6 high performance build

Hi guys. I'm about to rebuild my engine in my 50 Pontiac silverstreak. I am wondering if there is a dual carb intake for my 239. Has anyone tried making a modification or a plate to put a 2 barrel Pontiac 8 motor in a 6? I have a split manifold right now and I have never seen a set of headers other that home made. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You might want to look at some past issues of POCI's Smoke Signals. Even though POCI's mission statement says they are dedicated to preserving historical past and restoration of Pontiac's, I have seen some articles (not many) somewhere in mid 2000's. One in particular was a 1940 coupe which had headers, and 2- 2bbls. Nicely done, but not stock. Also try looking in Hemmings and Cars on line for cars that are for sale and modified for contacting a owner of a modified for sale for hints. Also try the Jalopy Journal ( The HAMB ) for all the modified car topics.

Pontiac used a two-barrel Carter on the 1953 239 as factory equipment. Do not know if the intake will interchange, nor do I have one. The carb was a Carter 2010s, which I can furnish, if needed.

Have never heard of a multi-carb intake for the 239, although I believe it was Fenton that made an aluminum head and multi-carb intake for the 8. Last one I saw for sale was many years ago, and many hundreds of dollars even then.

Jon.

Pontiac used a two-barrel Carter on the 1953 239 as factory equipment. Do not know if the intake will interchange, nor do I have one. The carb was a Carter 2010s, which I can furnish, if needed.

Have never heard of a multi-carb intake for the 239, although I believe it was Fenton that made an aluminum head and multi-carb intake for the 8. Last one I saw for sale was many years ago, and many hundreds of dollars even then.

Jon.

Right from the beginning, the Pontiac straight eight had five main bearings and solid valve lifters in the side of the block. A Carter one-barrel carburetor was used through 1939. A Carter two-barrel was used from then on. In 1947 the dual-throat carb was switched from a Carter WDO to a Carter WCD. The WCD was also used on Buick 8s and was then modified for early 1960s Ramblers.

edmunds did make a dual one barrel intake manifold for the pontiac L head six, and 1953 and 1954 pontiac six had a stock two barrel intake manifold that would fit your engine.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

Hey Charles, do you remember the light green or mint green 39 or 40 Pontiac coupe that was in POCI's Smoke Signals in the mid to later 2000's? It was a on the cover car with a article. The guy had is own headers made , but I'm thinking the manifold is the one you described as a Edmunds.

Hey Charles, do you remember the light green or mint green 39 or 40 Pontiac coupe that was in POCI's Smoke Signals in the mid to later 2000's? It was a on the cover car with a article. The guy had is own headers made , but I'm thinking the manifold is the one you described as a Edmunds.

hi don, yes i do, a club member named richard lives near me, and he has a 1949 pontiac straight eight that he installed a edmunds custom dual two barrel intake manifold.

looks like someone doing a good job, making up a dual exhaust for a straight six pontiac.

Charles, is there any way you could find the cover page and article of that car through POCI and copy and paste it here? I think the car is a 39 or 40 coupe.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for the late reply. I was expecting my phone to alert me to messages. Hey Kurt I will call you on your intake. I'm thinking just got g from my 1 barrel to a 2 barrel should pep me up a bit. Do you agree? And hey Helfen did I see a dual pontiac intake in your pictures? If so is it for sale or just a reference picture? Thanks again

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for the late reply. I was expecting my phone to alert me to messages. Hey Kurt I will call you on your intake. I'm thinking just got g from my 1 barrel to a 2 barrel should pep me up a bit. Do you agree? And hey Helfen did I see a dual pontiac intake in your pictures? If so is it for sale or just a reference picture? Thanks again

Actually I just googled images for Edmonds manifolds for flathead Pontiac six cylinder engines and it came up. But check the HAMB from time to time or start a topic also stating you are interested in buying one of those manifolds.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late but........... Edmunds made dual carbs for Pontiac 6 and 8's.  6's came in 2x1 and 2x2 (3 bolt Stromberg style).  8's came in 2x2, one version using Pontiac 4 bolts, and the other version used Stromberg 3 bolts.  Edmunds also made a finned aluminum head for the 6, but never for the 8.  Just thought I'd post this as a reference for future searchers.  Here's some pictures of a Pontiac 8 I restored last year wearing Stromberg WW carbs.

post-100358-0-07234100-1453488657_thumb.

post-100358-0-32605400-1453488678_thumb.

post-100358-0-76954000-1453488694_thumb.

post-100358-0-70724800-1453488726_thumb.

post-100358-0-13687400-1453488743_thumb.

post-100358-0-76424900-1453488766_thumb.

A little late but........... Edmunds made dual carbs for Pontiac 6 and 8's.  6's came in 2x1 and 2x2 (3 bolt Stromberg style).  8's came in 2x2, one version using Pontiac 4 bolts, and the other version used Stromberg 3 bolts.  Edmunds also made a finned aluminum head for the 6, but never for the 8.  Just thought I'd post this as a reference for future searchers.  Here's some pictures of a Pontiac 8 I restored last year wearing Stromberg WW carbs.

well art, edmunds did make a finned aluminum head for the pontiac straight eight, i bought one in 1975 with a intake manifold, and ran them both on my freshly rebuilt 268 engine for awhile.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

pontiac oakland club international

well art, edmunds did make a finned aluminum head for the pontiac straight eight, i bought one in 1975 with a intake manifold, and ran them both on my freshly rebuilt 268 engine for awhile.

Charles, I stand corrected.  As you said, he did make a head for the Pontiac 8.  I had it backwards.  He never showed a head for a Pontiac 6 in his catalogs.  Moral?  Don't work from memory when you have documentation.

Art