Suddenly, It's 1957!

TG57Roadmaster

Possibly that some "new technologies" were discovered to make the wider stainless steel moldings, rather than just "spears"?  That 1958 was the first model year to showcase these new things?  More stainless . . . bigger engines . . . more power  . . . more headlights!

There are some cars where 1957 was the first year for their new styling cues/bodies and 1958 refinements made them a little better.  But when 1958 was the first year for a styling change, styling became more intense.  GM seemed to want to exert their power by making the outer skins/bodies different each year, from 1957 to 1960, but the expenses must have accumulated as things became more normal (2-3 years per significant change) from about 1961 model year onward.  Or they spent a lot of money with little sales leadership?  Less than expected?  But it probably took that long for the recessive 1958 economy to filter down through the ranks of vehicle styling changes.

Happy New Year!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

1957 was a great year for styling on almost all cars.  Then came 1958 and most took a dramatic down turn....

For many years after 1958, just about all cars of 1958--

and the 1959 Cadillac as well--were considered the lowest

of the low point in automotive styling.  If you read car books,

you'll see such opinions as "the most grotesque in the

company's history."   Books written even

in the 1980's make that point in no uncertain terms.

Though most 1958 GM cars tended to be bulbous, heavy-looking,

and lacking litheness and grace, now they're appreciated

as a part of their era.  Scandinavian collectors seemingly can't

get enough of them, and at one large show in Sweden, an

American friend of mine couldn't count all the 1958 Buicks!

I still can't fully appreciate, however, the 1958 Cadillac Fleetwood:

post-91841-0-84394800-1451745765_thumb.j

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I have to say that the Chevy line, I, like about everyone else, thought the 58 chev was nothing on the 57, but that aside, I love all the stories from the era about the panics the designers used to get into trying to (basically) win a pissing contest :)

The OP headline from this thread shows that he is well aware of the mopar slogan for the release of the 57 model range "suddenly its 1960" which really seemed to kick the design wars into gear

I am watching the "Crime Story" series at the moment and being full of this era cars of all sorts, really makes you appreciate how hard the designers had to work

There are some really out there cars (eg, 1961 plymouth)

A bit of a disclaimer here :)

I have a 60 dodge phoenix, a 60 plymouth and I am just starting on my 58 buick

Mick

I have to say that the Chevy line, I, like about everyone else, thought the 58 chev was nothing on the 57, but that aside, I love all the stories from the era about the panics the designers used to get into trying to (basically) win a pissing contest :)

The OP headline from this thread shows that he is well aware of the mopar slogan for the release of the 57 model range "suddenly its 1960" which really seemed to kick the design wars into gear

I am watching the "Crime Story" series at the moment and being full of this era cars of all sorts, really makes you appreciate how hard the designers had to work

Mick

Mick,

I see your Dodge Phoenix, and raise you with a '61 Polara, that my buddy Dave's Dad bought new, and Dave still has...

post-87514-0-80107500-1451791935_thumb.j

Thanks for getting my "Suddenly It's 1957" analogy...I have a beauty of a '57 Roadmaster. When the magazine wags of the day saw the three piece backlights of the '57 GM B-body GM cars, they quipped, "Suddenly It's 1949". But you probably already knew that.

(The Roadies had a one piece back glass, shared with Supers and Caddys).

post-87514-0-19524200-1451792070_thumb.j

Happy New Year!

TG

Ps, When I hit the Lottery, one of my buys will be a '60 Polara Wagon...

post-87514-0-05822900-1451792916_thumb.j

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mick

I have always loved the 58 Chevys. Wish I'd have been able to get a nice one before everyone else caught on. The 60 Dodge is fantastic styling as well IMO. Quirky but cool!

Even though I own the dart, I like the front on the polara/matadore much better than whats on mine, but it is what it is :)

Those wagons are hard to find and (especially if its an x ram) quite expensive

I am more partial to the 60 mopar wagons than the earlier ones, mostly because the fin ends leaned in backwards until then

Mopar really got into the jet age design and (I think) really took it to the extreme, where Ford and GM were a bit more conservative, in a lot of cases, that was probably not a bad thing

Even today, a lot of people dont get what the fins and all the body sculpting was about and dont get the cars

When I see them looking at the Dodge with a sort of confused look on their faces, I just tell them to think of the Jetsons and tell them that this was all futuristic for the time, or I tell them to think of rockets and flying saucers and the like, they soon get it and then start looking closer with a smile on their face

Mick

post-154921-0-91961700-1451866855_thumb.

post-154921-0-91063900-1451866872_thumb.

Oh my goodness ... those are some awesome vintage scenes.  Thanks for posting them, TG.  LOVE seeing photos like these!

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)
"This heart is gonna mend just fine" __ Sawyer Brown __ 'This Night Won't Last Forever'