capngrog

Off Topic ... Maybe

Our son set us up, he does soft wear for a couple hundred systems, says for me and the bride, STAY WITH 7 for now. 

Not saying 10 isn't in our future, but still leaning, and don't need more grief NOW.  

Love our 7 system, and son keeps us going, he has us REMOTE from his office, and home, so logs on and fixes, or explains when needed.  We couldn't be HAPPIER.  

FUNNY, a friend said, "I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD WANT MY DAD HOOKED REMOTE TO MY SYSTEM".  I said, WHAT ARE YOU DOING THAT YOU ARE ASHAMED OF?  he didn't answer, hehe.

Dale in Indy

From the "stone age", I still run a desktop with Windows XP and a laptop with Windows 7.  Tried 8 and returned it an bought the leftover 7.  Reason:  I'm a flip phone user and own my own programs, (Word 2002, Publisher, etc) now you have to subscribe to them with an annual payment to Mr. Gates company.  Thanks for the thread, I too will wait or go to MAC next time.

We have 4 computers here.  The newest came with 10.  That said, it does NOT come with Office.  Word, Excel, etc. are only provided in trial form.  Then, to get it working versions one must by a yearly subscription.  What is that?

Stick with Windows 7! 

We have a lot of users on Windows 10 operating system. 10 in-house and about 20 plus more that use our license. We were forced into it and in the beginning and it was painful, especially for me but now after working with it for quite sometime everyone including me is comfortable. You know what that means now don't you? We will have to change again! Not sure how much more I can stand as XP was the start of my changes and then went to 7 and now 10. Have windows 8 at home and talk about something I hate!!

to get it working versions one must by a yearly subscription

It is still possible to purchase a standalone (non-subscription) version of MS Office, but the only place you can buy a standalone version is either through the MS Online Store or at a Microsoft Retail Store.

While the subscription version of MS Office (the most practical version for home use would be Office 365 Home) is a new model/way of buying MS Office it does provide some benefits not available when buying a standalone version, such as:

1. You can install MS Office on up to 5 PCs/Macs and up to 5 tablets/phones (if you have more than one device on which you would like to use Office this alone will make the overall cost cheaper)
  2. You get one (1) terabyte of cloud MS data storage with your subscription (that is no small amount of data even in today's computer environment)
  3. You can share your MS Office/Office 365 subscription with up to four additional people
    1. For example you could have a separate account for your spouse/child
    2. And you and each of the four users each get a separate 1 terabyte of data storage for a total of 5 terabytes of data storage ( a great place to keep a 2nd backup of all your photos)
  4. You get all updates to MS Office for free as part of the subscription
  5. You have access to online web versions of all the MS Office programs (this means you can run all the office programs from any computer right from within your web browser with no software install required)

If you only need Office on one device Microsoft just released a "lower" cost version of the subscription version (called Office 365 Personal)

Bob, thanks for your expertise.  Guess it is another reason we are honoring you in Philadelphia...congratulations by the way. 

Why put up with crap like MS Office 365? Use Apache Open Office. It's free, works just like MS Office and you can save files in Word, Excel, etc. formats.

I upgraded my HP laptop to W 10 and although I like working on my laptop, I can't see any other computers and can't print!  It always asks me for a user name and password to look at any other computer in our house - which is something we NEVER set up :(  I'm very frustrated :(

My copies of Office are the original licensed ones however Open Office is free and provides much the same functionality. 

Sorry, but many of the responses here are incorrect. First, NO version of windows ever included Office. Those were ALWAYS separate products. You may have purchased a computer with that software pre-loaded, but they were not part of Windows.

Second, you can absolutely purchase Office 2013 or 2016 from sources other than directly from Microsoft. I just did that for my new laptop. Just because MS is pushing the Office 365 rental model doesn't mean it's your only choice. Spend a couple of minutes actually researching your options before posting incorrect info.

Continuing advancement of a product is one thing--

change for the sake of change is another.

Some programs, such as ones I use professionally,

used to issue updates every 2 or 3 years;  now it's annually,

and their fee structure coerces the user to buy updates more often.

Why do software companies feel the need to change the arrangement

of the commands/menus so frequently?

If Microsoft made pianos, they would rearrange a few keys 

every year so people would buy new pianos and have to

relearn what they had already learned.

Continuing advancement of a product is one thing--

change for the sake of change is another.

Some programs, such as ones I use professionally,

used to issue updates every 2 or 3 years;  now it's annually,

and their fee structure coerces the user to buy updates more often.

Why do software companies feel the need to change the arrangement

of the commands/menus so frequently?

If Microsoft made pianos, they would rearrange a few keys 

every year so people would buy new pianos and have to

relearn what they had already learned.

Not that I'm a Microsoft proponent, but how is this any different than annual styling changes by automakers?

you can absolutely purchase Office 2013 or 2016 from sources other than directly from Microsoft.

Sorry for not being clear in my above post.  While you can still buy Office 2016 at retail locations such as Walmart, Best Buy, etc. these retail "box" versions of Office 2016 no longer come with the installation media/DVD disks.  You certainly can purchase retail box versions of Office 2016 from other than Microsoft but these retail box versions now only contain a license key card.  You would then use the license key card to download and activate Office 2016 from Microsoft directly.  Different from Office 2013 and earlier you have to have an internet connection to install and activate retail versions of Office 2016.  I don't care for this current licensing model for Microsoft products but that is what it is at the moment.

If you would like to have the Office 2016 media/DVD as backups you can either get the media at a Microsoft Retail Store or you can order a copy from the Microsoft Online Store.

Sorry for the confusion - Bob

To be complete, if you have an MSDN subscription you can download the ISOs for many things including Office and an associated key, then create your own media.

Next when a license is purchased, you can usually order a DVD for an additional charge. Also when you download Windows 10, there is an option to download an .ISO and create your own DVD. Microsoft even provides a tool to do so.

Also volume licenses often come with a DVD.

Up until about a year ago, Office was preloaded on tablets and larger & a license with key included, then it switched in about mid 2013 to the 365 or a limited "trial".

Microsoft is continually changing policies. Some work and others don't. They also provide free readers for most procucts

If you do not like, there are alternatives. I used to really like WordStar but they had trouble intergrating mice into 5.0.

Point is that a DVD is always available just you may need to create it. I suspect this may partially be so that running changes to the product and bundles can be live. Does mean that what you download today may be different from tomorrow's edition.

ps the big toolbar change to Office came with Office 97, been pretty stable since.

Not that I'm a Microsoft proponent, but how is this any different than annual styling changes by automakers?

You're right, Joe:  it's similar.

Back in the late 1950's--with the cars we love today--

manufacturers were roundly criticized for changing the

styling every year and introducing "planned obsolescence."

I say, if you have an excellent product, don't change it 

for the sake of change.  How many great cars got changed

for the worse the very next year, just to introduce a new

taillight or grille pattern?

But now some car manufacturers have taken it to the

other extreme--keeping dull gray sedans ad infinitum!

The moral of the story is:  Improvement is vastly different from change.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I upgrade my computers as my work does.  It's like getting free training before I have to do it.  When they switch to 10, they will train us on the differences.  At that time I will switch to 10 at home.  Right now we are on 7 at work, so I am on 7 at home.  Plus, work gives employees software benefits, such as Office for $9,95, so it makes sense to match it for that reason also.  I don't use my home computer for work, but it's nice to be able to have an entire IT department at my disposal there for questions since I have the exact same OS.

Wow. That was a rather rude reply :-(

Joe has a way with words, at times.

If you do not like, there are alternatives. I used to really like WordStar but they had trouble intergrating mice into 5.0.

WordStar; that is going back a bit?

I was  a big fan of the Eagle II-E  with a cp/m os back-in-the-day.  It  came with a cutting edge word processing program names Spellbinder.

The shaking table on which I did my retaining wall modelling for my PhD was run by an Apple II E. The data logger was an IBM AT compatible machine and all my data processing was done on a "XT" with two floppy drives. It was wonderful when I had a 20 MB hard disk installed. I even found a bug in DOS 3.1 - it would not release memory when I told it to with Turbo Pascal. It took 2 weeks of messing around and some machine code programming to find the bug. No-one stored data as text - it took 2.5 times as much space as binary. My graphics were direct screen-memory writes - going through the operating system, like well behaved programs do, was too slow and cumbersome.The PDP-11 (the departmental computer) had one MB of memory and ran a 10-inch floppy drive. I even remember coding topographical surveys onto special booking forms for punch card operators to type up for feeding to the computer on punched cards. I wrote my thesis on WordPerfect 5.1 - now that was a good piece of software in its day.

Thank goodness we have moved on from all that.

Win 10 was a disaster for me, as I said. But what I saw was very good. When I did things, the dialog boxes looked familiar (like Win 7). My problems probably stemmed from a 6-year old computer with a try-anything dabbler - me - driving it. It had become corrupted in several areas and the Win 10 install just carried them forward. The return to Win 7 added more.

I use Open Office. I also use Thunderbird and Cyberfox. I don't have a use for MS Office other than to look at my old work emails - in Outlook. I don't use Windows Media Centre - I like to know what is going on behind the scenes and where things are - it is quicker that way. I use VLC for video and Irfanview for pictures - resizing for this forum is a piece of cake in Irfanview. I don't even use Adobe Reader - Foxit is much better. I haven't found a good secure substitute for Flash yet though.

Now for a curiosity in English usage. padgett says "I resemble that remark". I don't know what he means - that usage is not familiar to me. Does he mean to agree or resent or disagree with the remark?

Now for a curiosity in English usage. padgett says "I resemble that remark". I don't know what he means - that usage is not familiar to me. 

The sentence, "I resemble that remark," had humorous origins.

It is a malapropism in English--the misuse of English for humorous effect.

With a quick internet search, I couldn't find its origin.

Maybe its origin isn't known. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

My memory for anecdotes precedes the Internet (aka DarpaNet/ArpaNet) . Somewhere in the dig are 8" floppies, a 9 tack tape device, IBM 5151 (got sick of green phosphor), an IBM 3030 (origin of "Winchester"), and a copy of CPM-86.

The sentence, "I resemble that remark," had humorous origins.

It is a malapropism in English--the misuse of English for humorous effect.

With a quick internet search, I couldn't find its origin.

Maybe its origin isn't known. 

The Three Stooges, from the episode "Idle Roomers"

• Like 1