1940 DeSoto Coupe W/Overdrive on Craigslist -- Fargo $3800

C/TDave: Current Can/US Dollar exchange rate is around $1.40, so $3,800US purchase price translates into about $5,320Canadian. Based on taking an enclosed trailer from Nova Scotia to Oregon and back, about 7K miles round trip, figure minimum $2K-$3K in expenses! When car is registered here, province wants 15% sales tax on appraised value of car, 15% of $5,320, or say another $800, so total is about $5,320+$2,500+$800=$8,620 in Canadian dollars! Even if one could pare $1,000 off purchase price or transport, cost is high. We face this crazy exchange rate/tax issue on every purchase stateside, was not long ago when Can/US dollars traded at par. Oh well, just makes buying and restoring a car here in Canada a much more expensive proposition at the moment. Even used parts crossing the Canada/USA border headed for Nova Scotia get taxed at 15%. Grrrr......Our general rule on parts is add 50% (exchange and tax) automatically to any item stateside you look at before pondering whether to even bid.

Gunsmoke, it won't change your calculations by much, but Moorehead, MN is pretty much due south of Winnipeg by about three hours. Still, the exchange rate is the big factor. It's a shame. I feel sorry for you guys, but I have to guess that you are all earning around $150 per hour in wages. (sorry, just kidding)

Cold is beautiful! The Vikings will be hosting Seattle this coming Sunday at the TCF stadium here in the Twin Cities. It will be an outdoor event and the high temp for Sunday is predicted to be one degree!!! It's been so long since the Vikings used to play outdoors at the old Met stadium, that even I, a life long resident, can't imagine what it will be like for the players and staff. I understand that tickets for the game are still available! Book your flight now!!

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

The prediction now is for fifteen below wind chill temperature at game time.  These really aren't the Vikes of old -- like the ones who used to play under Bud Grant. Bud wouldn't allow heaters on the side lines and the playing field wasn't heated from beneath. Seahawks are still favored, but anything can happen.

Loved the movie "Fargo", and also the Green Bay Packers. When you live in Nova Scotia, no matter how nice it is, everywhere is far to go. While Carolina looks like a Superbowl favourite, I'm pulling for the Cheeseheads!

That movie was the greatest.YA!  Best part was when goffess was complaining about the parking charge. They were only parked for a short time. Couple of minutes and he goes ballestic. And the tree chipper and the biggest when they hid the money and coildnt find it.

• Like 1