85 Riv Quadrajet Accelerator Pump Lever problem

Guest CFrance729

Guest CFrance729

So I'm not really sure if this is a question I should be posting here, but here it is.

I started rebuilding my Rochester Quadrajet from my 85 Riviera, and I ran into a few problems here and there, nothing I couldn't fix, except for the accelerator pump lever, more specifically, the pin that holds it in place. I had a hell of a time trying to get it out during disassembly, but I did after awhile (it did not come out intact) So while I had to order a couple things from the quadrajet website, I also ordered new roll pins that I thought would solve my problems, but it turns out its the pin you can see on the top, the small one.

post-155729-0-86758900-1451333705_thumb.

Thats not it, I figure, so I go out to the auto store and get a generic pack of roll pins, none of them working. So I figure I'm doing something wrong, don't know how to install a roll pin correctly, or have the wrong parts? I'm completely lost at this point, can't believe out of everything on the carb this is the one thing that's a problem.

If anyone knows what to do, or can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

And no I'm not buying a new carb, as much as I want to.

post-155729-0-89599700-1451333832_thumb.

Sorry the pics kinda suck, I guess the site automatically compresses them?

I know that this is like closing the barn door after the horse is out but I thought that I'd post this anyway for anyone else who wants to rebuild a Quadrajet.  I'd read before about these roll pins.  When you take the rod lever out, you only drive the pin far enough to get the lever off, you don't drive the pin all the way out.

That doesn't do you any good now, but it may be that the hole for the pin on the outer side is smaller than the hole on the inner side.  Perhaps you can start the pin from the back side, get it into position, put the lever in place, then push the pin into the outer side.  In Doug Roe's book, he uses a 1/32" drift (back side of a drill bit) to move the pin into the inner side, then removes the lever.  When reinstalling the pin, he uses a fairly large flat bladed screw driver as a wedge to push the pin back in.

Good luck and let us know if you have success and if you do, what did you do to get it done.

Ed

• Like 1

On YouTube there's a video of a guy replacing a roll pin in a brake shoe.  He compressed the pin with a pair of Vice-Grips - with the slot to the side, he compressed the C shape of the pin to the shape of an O - and was able to get it started in the hole.  From there, he could gently tap it into place.

Guest CFrance729

Yeah I saw that one too. Tried it, but my application is just too small to work the same way, and the carb itself is in the way. Also no room to get a pin in front on behind, but drilling may work.

Edited by CFrance729 (see edit history)

Hmmmm?  Can't get enough pressure on it?  Bit not sharp enough? 

Chuck it in your vise and use a touch of oil to keep the bit cool.  Put some pressure on it.  If you have a drill press, use that.  Otherwise... ???????

Might be something that you need to take to a nearby machine shop.

Guest CFrance729

Was able to drill the lever out enough so the pin would start and start conpressing, put the linkages back on and seems to turn well enough. Hopefully gonna put it back on the car today or tomorrow and see how it runs