FIBER VS ALUMINUM TIMING GEAR

Mssr. Bwatoe

I have always used aluminum / steel gears.. Pontiac 400's to H-V-12's  The old ponchos had nylon tipped gears that failed  as they aged..wore out...  My v-12 runs fine, but t gear is noisy.  I found an oversize .05 fiber gear nos ford pt..I would think the load on gear with hydraulic tappets to be not excessive, but looking for opinions.. Hey Peech!!

post-104284-0-23185000-1451329521_thumb.post-104284-0-99693000-1451329544_thumb.

I would just turn the radio up.

The NOS part is very old and I would not like to find myself stuck along side the Interstate, calling for a flatbed. The fiber gears fail in two ways, teeth break off and the gear separates from the metal center. Both cause the engine to stop right away.

The fiber gear works fine in a Ford V8 but the added load of 8 more valve springs (stronger than Ford) is probably the reason the Lincoln started using aluminum gears in 1940. My dad had to replace the fiber gear on his '38 twice, once in 1940 and again in 1945. Modern fiber gears may be more durable? Old Henry love using as many interchangeable parts as he could.

I have a small 6-12 volt invertor and a 1970's fm convertor which plays through the stock tubed philco radio...Our AM in northwest oHIo is

a vast wasteland, even the sports broadcasts are moving to FM...We love to blast the radio with the top down ...It is part of the experience...

• 2 years later...

I have a AM/FM board I built up into a 41 radio cabinet.  Those boards are from a company in Florida that builds retro radios for old cars.  They are all 12 volts, so I use a 6-12 volt converter, and a small battery on the unit (12 Volts/7Ah) to smooth out the voltage/current hidden under the actual battery under the hood..  I modified the dial indicator for adding FM to the radio.  Looks original and plays well, with a couple of Sony sub woofers under the front seat, and a couple of small speakers under the dash.  If you don't look too close you don't notice.  I still have some other '41 radios I haven't restored yet and one I did restore before I configured the AM/FM so I can reinstall it to be fully AM original!   If you're gonna crank good tunes you need the power, and this configured radio puts out 185 watts if you are hard of hearing!   Not as loud as the 10,000 watt blasters the kids use, but sufficient!   

22 hours ago, Mssr. Bwatoe said:

What is the interchange from ford -v8  to lz H-v-12 timing gears??

According to the parts Catalog, the 36 and 37 V-12 used the Ford V-8 timing gear. Later V-12 used a gear designed for the V-12. The 37 and 37 gears were pressed on the camshaft and the later ones were bolt on. I don't know what other changes were made to the camshaft so that the P/N change was necessary. The Ford aluminum bolt on gear is P/N 7RA-5256-A. It has 44 teeth and should mesh with the LZ crank gear. My concern would be if the timing marks are in the same place.