Artillery wheels

Section10

Greetings from a new member.post-155758-0-71641800-1451157261_thumb.  Could anyone tell me if these are Model T Ford?  I have 3 of these.  The tire size reads 4.50 x 21.  I see brake drums on both that are 2 different sizes (front & rear I assume).  Didn't T's only have rear wheel brakes?

Thank you

Jim

It seems like old wheels like these are getting harder to find. When I had my farm, they seemed to be all over the place and I had all kinds of them. I've been off my farm for 11 years and I don't run into them like before. I have a good friend who owns an abandoned junkyard that hasn't been active since 1960. Not much in the way of cars left anymore, but there's a lot of miscellaneous junk and there still are a lot of these old assorted wheels left in it. Condition is poor on most, but are they worth picking up at all? The ones I have pictured came out of there and I don't anticipate they are worth very much. I suspect these are worth more as lawn art than they are as wheels. It's just that I have access to that yard and I was wondering if such wheels would be worth going after.

thank you

Jim

The thing with wooden artillery wheels is that they can be rebuilt with new wooden spokes and felloes where needed but the original iron ware from the old wheels is required to complete them, which is where the value, however small, in old rotten wheels lies.  I suspect that Model T wheels will always have some value as there are plenty of other T parts available to rebuild the cars and as time goes by maybe more will go back on the road?  But I guess that opens another can of worms as there may come a time when nobody is interested any more or the oldest cars will be legislated off the roads.