1937 rod bolts

old car fan

Extremely sinple they come out from the top! Duh! I usually use a 3/8 drill bit and drill two holes in the top of the piston to gain access to top of bolt. Sometimes handy to have a pal hold the bottom with straight screw driver as they tend to spin with the nut! I learned this trick about a million caddy flat heads ago Good luck and let me know how this work for you!!

• Like 1

The good news is that only the 1937s used the slotted rod bolts.  Suggest you replace them with otherwise-identical 7/16 hex-head bolts used 1938 thru 1948.  Those MAY have been reproduced over the years.

I've heard that Cadillac's intent was to force us to replace the rod bolts every time, and not re-use them.

I've used 3/8-drive slotted-bit sockets (Craftsman) on a breaker bar to get them loose, then a 3/8-drive ratchet to finish the job. Obviously, you want the tightest full-depth fit possible, so buy two or three different sizes.

For the replacement 7/16 hex head bolts, you will need a 6-point slim socket (Snap-On would be ideal) and be very careful not to apply force at any angle other than 90 degrees, or you'll split the socket like I've done several times.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

I've only done a few Cad flatheads, not "millions," and I'm too cheap to replace pistons when I only need to inspect or replace bearing inserts.  Those bolts shouldn't be that tight, so a snug fitting socket-mounted slotted bit will do the job quickly, relatively easily, and above all non-invasively.

I owned Cad flatheads from 1968 to 2010 and never heard of doing it your way....