1925 Buick touring top rest or top clamps

Hubert_25-25

Leif:

That was what I was trying to say before. I think you misunderstood from my January 31st and February 1st posts. Your rear socket at the "prop nut" turns under. Hugh's and mine turn up. The old photo I posted matches what you are showing in the photos (no bend, straight out from the prop nut). The factory photo in the catalogue looks to go straight also. Hard to tell as this is an artists illustration and not enough detail at that spot They use the same base illustration to show the 25-A

post-121302-0-06320000-1454621997_thumb.

Larry,my excuse for that ,as you know,my English aren`t the very best.The illustration do not show the socket if it`s stright or rounded.I looked in the same "sellers"book as the illustration came from and none of the pictures on open cars in that book  show the lower part of the sockets at all.

Leif in Sweden.

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

Wow, if nothing else, we have a 'hot topic' on a 25-25 Buick top rest :D

Leif

- I stand corrected on the 25S. I think i knew that at one time and forgot it. Good catch. All of the 25, X25, 25S and X25S used the same top bow socket assembly 173234®/173235(L) as per page 367 BMPM and is also shown illustrated in my Mclaughlin 1925 parts manual so at least I know I should have the same top as the rest of you!

I seem to recall being told that McLaughlin Buick handled all of the X export vehicles so as to accommodate right hand drive. That's why the coil mounted on top of the starter generator instead of inside the cowl and the spark plug cover didn't have the rear opening for the coil wire . Both would interfere with a right hand steering wheel. but then I've been wrong before! All 25-25's should be the same at a basic level....or not. Did Australia do their own thing with Holden?

- Your body bracket for the top rest is completely different that ours which is square at the top as per my photo attached. I'm not sure why there would be a difference. My parts book shows a tonneau brace left and right part numbers but I'm not certain it refers to the part I'm showing.

post-77628-0-97189400-1454662684_thumb.jpost-77628-0-33266300-1454662652_thumb.j

- thank you for taking the time to post photos of the top rest clamp stud,which I think is Mclaughlin part 734869 and Buick part 182521 on page 383 BMPM. Makes perfect sense now! Wasn't thinking of it clamping that way.

- I love those rear tires!

Hugh

The Mclaughlin parts book also has a 'rear seat corner iron stud' as per your parts page 738471 NP  (nickel plated like in Leif's photo). I'm pretty convinced we have the wrong part stuck in the hole. 3/8" diameter is way too thin to keep the top rest attached to the car over bumpy roads. I like 5/8 much better!

Larry

Thanks for the promo photo.

In respect of top sockets, the attached is from the  1925 McLaughlin parts manual note the the part number in the listing is different than the part number in the illustration but that the part number in the illustration matches the BMPM numbers above. Thanks for being persistent because I finally get why you are talking about a 2 1/2" height different It appears the rear sockets should turn down as per yours.

Brad

Buick top info.pdf

Wow, if nothing else, we have a 'hot topic' on a 25-25 Buick top rest :D

Leif

- I stand corrected on the 25S. I think i knew that at one time and forgot it. Good catch. All of the 25, X25, 25S and X25S used the same top bow socket assembly 173234®/173235(L) as per page 367 BMPM and is also shown illustrated in my Mclaughlin 1925 parts manual so at least I know I should have the same top as the rest of you!

I seem to recall being told that McLaughlin Buick handled all of the X export vehicles so as to accommodate right hand drive. That's why the coil mounted on top of the starter generator instead of inside the cowl and the spark plug cover didn't have the rear opening for the coil wire . Both would interfere with a right hand steering wheel. but then I've been wrong before! All 25-25's should be the same at a basic level....or not. Did Australia do their own thing with Holden?

I think by 25 we had Flint Buick's not McLaughlin here in Australia (with Holden bodies, fisher was available but cost more). Our 26 is a Flint car with a Holden body 

In my opinion the 1925 Buicks(chassies) in AU are Canada made,if looking at the 1925 US built Buicks they all have the licens bracket in the middle of the head lights, and the Canadin Buick in 1925 seems to have the licens brackets below the head lights,US Buick started in 1926 with the licens bracket below the head lights too.

Maybe I`m wrong,but this`s what I think.The chassie numbers are one figure less on the Canadian built cars than on the US built cars too.My US chassie number is 1375032,h_h you can check that on your car.

Leif in Sweden

When I made my temporary rests I also turned a set of "PINS" according to the photo Leif sent me years ago. post-121302-0-54932000-1454684142_thumb.post-121302-0-66675700-1454684090_thumb.As you can see I used what I had around the shop. NM electrical box clamps and heavy 3" conduit bracket clamps. Not too elegant but it worked. The 7/16 thread is what fits (I did have to clean up the hole with a 7/16 tap)  The body diameter of the pin is 5/8" which fits the Clamps I now have.

Leif

Thanks for the link to the Burbank Top discussion. I was wondering about that. It seems like it was just a material choice so one has to wonder why the top structure would be different.

I noticed your comment on frame serial numbers. Did you actually locate those on your frame or were they on the tag that is missing from my frame!

Can you post a photo of your prop nut with some measurements? is it just a flat acorn nut? Or does it have a shoulder the extends into the socket?

For those following the thread,I did confirm the top body bracket  on my car is threaded 7/16 -14 and that my top bows are like Leif's with the prop socket turned up  when installed . Opposite to the illustration  I posted!

Attached is our car from 1967 when the previous owner pulled it out of the bush. I don't know what he was thinking. I don't know what the two idiots that bought it from his son were thinkingBuick original photos - low res.pdf

I was just re-reading my posts above and realized that I'm contradicting myself on the prop socket! With the top down , and the sockets parallel to the ground, the tip of the prop socket turns up at the end on Leif's car and my car . The parts illustration and Larry's car both appear to turn down in the same configuration. Have no idea why this would be. I have caught a few errors in the McLaughlin parts book but that doesn't explain Larry's top. Trying to think of the effect that this might have.  Pushes the top higher ( if it had the same bows) ? Maybe burbank top was one ans regular the other?

Hugh - which way does your top go?

Does anyone have top bow patterns?  Need 1,2,3 and the windshield header.

Brad

In my opinion the 1925 Buicks(chassies) in AU are Canada made,if looking at the 1925 US built Buicks they all have the licens bracket in the middle of the head lights, and the Canadin Buick in 1925 seems to have the licens brackets below the head lights,US Buick started in 1926 with the licens bracket below the head lights too.

Maybe I`m wrong,but this`s what I think.The chassie numbers are one figure less on the Canadian built cars than on the US built cars too.My US chassie number is 1375032,h_h you can check that on your car.

Leif in Sweden

Ours is 1452076, it was sold new in Melbourne but other states may have had different arrangements

hidden_hunter,I have looked at the 1920s Buicks in AU and I can see that the 1924-1925 McLauglin-Buicks has the licens bracket below the head lights and probebly all the others are US made Buicks has the brackets between the head lights.Your chassies number 1452076 are US related.

Leif in Sweden.

Brad,

I have not looked deeply into this, but I have seen photos of this last top bow either being:

a - straight at the top pivot (Leif's earlier 25-25).

b - turned down at the pivot (mine, parts book photo, Tommy's 25-25 in Sweden). 

c - turned up at the pivot (Leif's and you say yours, and one I have seen on a 25 master).

A "straight line" drawn from the top pivot center to the top of the rear bow will set the top height at the rear of the car.  Which way it bends or not will effect where the snaps are for the side curtains, being a little different especially near the pivot point.   It will make the folded top bows look more horizontal relative to the car body depending on the direction of the bend.  So it will be interesting to see when I have a top made, what the pattern will show when I contact a top company, as I do not have a complete top fabric to use for a pattern, or side curtains.

The top header attachment from Leif's car and my car are also different, in the windshield clamps.  Mine are in the corners and Leif's are on the flat.  I thought Burbank would only be a fabric choice, but there are top frame construction differences here as well. 

I will be getting and provide dimensions for you, Larry and Dean on the top bows once I get to this part of the car.  I will post on the Forum as well for future restorers.

Attached is also a photo and dimensions of my top pivot nuts

Hugh

post-153681-0-07662200-1454865840_thumb.

post-153681-0-43494400-1454867337_thumb.

post-153681-0-61839100-1454868402_thumb.

post-153681-0-30728500-1454868414_thumb.

Edited by gr8success (see edit history)

Hugh

Thanks for posting the photos. Went back to the parts pile

Attached are photos of our top pivot /prop nuts. They appear to be different than yours and more like Leif's . I forgot that we had them and had them nickel plated.( they were originally plated)

post-77628-0-16957400-1454959870_thumb.j

Attached is a photo of our top windshield bracket. There is a part number which I can sort of make out as 1697?0?9? This is original to the car as it was still attached to the upper part of of the snapped off windshield stanchion. ( See original car photos posted above, you can see the bottom sections still attached to the cowl)

post-77628-0-88738100-1454960526_thumb.jpost-77628-0-70310300-1454960711_thumb.j

Interestingly, this shows up in the BMPM section 8 page 371 as 169708® /169709(L) correct for a 1925 24,24S,and the Masters among others but not the model 25. They are a left and a right whereas the bracket you have appears be universal , left or right. Going back to my McL manual, It lists both a left and a right part.

Leif - what does your bracket look like? I have this theory!

Brad

hidden_hunter,I have looked at the 1920s Buicks in AU and I can see that the 1924-1925 McLauglin-Buicks has the licens bracket below the head lights and probebly all the others are US made Buicks has the brackets between the head lights.Your chassies number 1452076 are US related.

Leif in Sweden.

I've checked the book "Buick, the Australian story" (excellent book btw, and not just Australian info http://speedreaders.info/2666-buick-the-australian-story/)and the 1925/1926 period was a transitional period for Buick here. GM export (GME) was phased out and replaced by GM Australia, who later acquired Holden to become GMH. So with the change over, dealers and suppliers changed so that probably explains why some are  McLauglin's and others are from Flint from around that time. Ours is definitely an Australian delivered car (complete with the original dealers tag on the dash) and appears to be a reasonably early 26 model based on what we've seen from the serial numbers.

On a side note, the book also makes reference to how Australian made bodies were 'higher quality' (though full imports were available and cost more) and that apparently GM actually took a Holden bodied car to display in the states.

Brad:

I just re-read your post about the top bow patterns. Over a year ago I checked with Rick Kesselring here in Chambersburg when I thought that I could have a set of sockets made up by John In Cal. He did say that he had the patterns or dimensions for my 1925-25.  I will check with him again.

post-121302-0-09840200-1454995864_thumb.

post-141931-0-66284000-1455082607_thumb.post-141931-0-00640300-1455082646_thumb.post-141931-0-06003000-1455082677_thumb.post-141931-0-89522200-1455082704_thumb.

hi all and hugh

here are some drawings that I have of 25 buick hood bows I don't know how correct they are

also are some pictures of the ausse hood bow rests which I have on my car showing the down position and the clamp and also back window thanks for you offer to make some rests hugh but I will stick with what I have they do the job for me I just want to drive it now thanks tony

• 1 month later...

We now have 5 of the 8 people needed to have top rests cast in stainless steel for 1925 to 1927 Buicks.  These should work for other Buick years and other car makes as well.   Let me know if you are interested or have questions on the applicability for your car.     Hugh