AACA National Award

Joe in Canada

The letters are out for this years AACA National Awards. How about sharing the photos of your cars that you submitted that were not selected for an award. Would love to see some of our members entered treasured photos from the past and present years. With 300 cars that are nominated each year I think, so the past 10 years that is 3,000 cars. So some of you here must have something under your car cover to show us!!! :)

• Like 1

1930 Pierce-Arrow Model B Sport Roadster, this year.  Not shown in AACA, but driven on Western Divisional Tour.

Photos are (1) "buttoned up" as required for AACA submission, (2) "less buttoned" on display with Art Deco objets d'art at San Francisco Airport March-August, and (3) the way she looks best--topless!

post-76312-0-90835700-1450648608_thumb.j

post-76312-0-89544000-1450648701_thumb.j

post-76312-0-71225100-1450649638_thumb.j

• Like 3

Here's my nominated car from this year -- a 1935 Auburn Super-Charged convertible sedan that my brother and I restored from the ground up in the mid-1990s. I didn't bother submitting the required photos because I felt the car had gone down and no longer merits a national award.  

post-77101-0-88827800-1450754109_thumb.j

• Like 1

Here's my nominated car from this year -- a 1935 Auburn Super-Charged convertible sedan that my brother and I restored from the ground up in the mid-1990s. I didn't bother submitting the required photos because I felt the car had gone down and no longer merits a national award.  

James! It could have been a touring award! Those cars are expected to be a little used and better yet, displayed on the public highways. I think I had you pass me a bunch of times in my T while touring in Texas this year. Of course everyone passed me in my T! :rolleyes:

Wayne

• 1 year later...

I have been fortunate enough to win a few national awards with cars I owned or was involved with over the years before I landed this job.  The 1908 Olds Model X was my personal car and my favorite restoration.  Rare car, only two known.  The Limited was a dream restoration as I never thought I would get to be around one let alone help my buddy Tim get this job finished.  I then had possession of the car for several years taking it to AACA shows and concours. 

I would be remiss in not congratulating all those who have ever received a nomination or an award.  It is a hugely difficult job to chose winners and the team that meets here every December has a difficult task.  Awards are hotly contested and rarely are the awards anywhere near unanimous.  Less than 70 car awards are normally given out over the 3-4,000 cars (trucks and motorcycles too) shown each year so even being nominated is a huge honor.  Good luck to all in this year's competition.

CDO.JPG

ME AND THE 1908.jpg

1911_olds_limited_w750.jpg

• Like 2

Joe,

An old post but worth repeating.  We get people frustrated about being nominated and not getting the award.  I understand that but there are several things that come into this equation.  For instance, there is a man with a great collection of "perfect' cars who has won many times.  Why, for very good reasons.  He has great cars with huge eye appeal and he shows all over the country so his cars are eligible for divisional awards.  He simply has more chances and especially in divisions with fewer cars. We have had people show their car numerous times, not given up and finally won an award.  There was no guarantee they ever would win anything but finally they did.  One was on a Model A class that I recall (super competitive) and the other in a truck class that was also equally competitive.  Where there cars any better the last time shown?  Probably not, but it is the luck of the draw.

21 members of a committee, who do not see the scores nor do they see the owner info sit in a room reviewing each of these cars.  We have guys who have all sorts of personal likes so it makes it hard.  The owner cannot do anything more than he did, it is simply what the majority of the 21 members like on that given day.  Certainly not a perfect system but so far the best we can do when virtually all the cars have the same score (a few officials get to see the scores).

So, the two nominations are your cigar...you just have not gotten the champagne to go with it.  VERY FEW AACA members in relationship to the total number of entrants we get ever get a letter.  Congratulations, as you car must be terrific. 

• Like 1

Joe; 

To echo what Steve said, it is quite an honor just to be nominated.   Of all the cars in all the shows in the nation, to have yours picked out as one of the best is outstanding.   If I remember correctly, there was a winner either last year or the year before that was his 8th nomination!!!   Personally, I am on my 5th in a row with one of my cars and EVERY letter is framed and in my display case!!  My grandson's car was also nominated this year.   

Be proud of that achievement!   See you in Philadelphia!!!  

Our 1941 Cadillac has been nominated in two prior years - most likely for son sort of Touring Award, since it has never placed higher than an AACA SECOND JUNIOR,

although it has since received a CCCA FIRST PLACE - TOURING DIVISION in 2016, and was driven on six national AACA/VMCCA Tours between June and September, 2016:

1941 Cadillac Front Quarter - Marty Roth 10-15-2017.jpg

1941 Cadillac Rear Quarter Marty Roth 10-15-2017.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Our 1954 Cadillac convertible has also been nominated for a National Award a few years back - likely a touring award since it has only been shown once and that was early this year in Palm Springs, California in the Driver Participation class.

This is the car which was driven 10,000 miles between mid-March and mid-June this year, touring the country and attending national Meets and Tours.

1954 Caddy - Taos - Front.JPG

1954 Caddy at Santa Monica 1.JPG

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 009.jpg

Taos Chrome 2010 - 1954 Cadillac 007.jpg

• Like 1

It was only a comment guys. I am not upset about not getting an award after two nominations. I totally understand and appreciate the system that AACA has in place. I have taken the judging coarse at Melbourne FL. five years ago to see if it was another interest I might get into. But decided not to after the event as I prefer touring. Next year hoping to do the Sentimental and thinking about the Reliability tours.

Actually the car that outdid mine two years ago the owner Mike ( great guy ) gave my a fine bottle of Irish whisky for helping him out with his car that summer. By the way I do not drink and that bottle is still on the shelf.  

A new topic came to mind while I was righting this so I think I will start a new topic.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1