Driverless cars

Restorer32

Just read an article about the huge amount of research and testing being done on driverless vehicles. Hope I'm around in 25 years or so when the first driverless car shows up at Hershey. I assume they could even show up without accompanying passengers? Certainly might add new meaning to reliability tours.

That'll be great when driverless/passengerless cars show up at car shows.  We can just send the car to the show by itself and then watch the video from the comfort of our home.  This way we can avoid all of those pesky people and crowds.

Just sayin',

Grog

• Like 1

I once, half jokingly, suggested to the CCCA that they have a show in the middle of Winter where owners just send in pics of their cars along with copies of their receipts for restoration and resumes of their restorers. No need to actually bring the cars or travel in bad weather.

Hi, Jeff.

From the day the first cell phone was sold we had our first of many driverless cars.

I was thinking on the same wave as capngrog. Picture walking down the show car entrance carrying a lawn chair then tell the officials that your car will be arriving later.

Peter J.

• Like 4

I once, half jokingly, suggested to the CCCA that they have a show in the middle of Winter where owners just send in pics of their cars along with copies of their receipts for restoration and resumes of their restorers. No need to actually bring the cars or travel in bad weather.

The W.P.C. (Chrysler collector's group) has what they call the "Winter Photo Meet" where folks just turn in photos and go from there.

"From the day the first cell phone was sold we had our first of many driverless cars."

Oh lord that was good...

These self-driving cars scare hell out of me, mostly because I see daily what "automatic" operation of equipment can do. Sometimes the results ain't pretty, esp when the human in the control room has been conditioned to let the thing drive itself and then has no clue what to do when the automatic controls, don't. Then it generally goes right in the ditch and out thru the field...

Vajenya Tech is involved with some of the research on them and they're seen toodling around the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area often.

I admit my (almost) total lack of knowledge about this. But, what happens when the first child runs out in front of one and is killed?

There are probably some applications where this would be marginally appropriate. Trains for example.  The public has come to accept that if you step out in front of a train, it is your fault.  However, the same logic does not apply to a Prius or a UPS delivery truck.

California's proposal to require a licensed driver in autonomous cars is a big setback for Google.

Every lawyer that can get 15 seconds on TV says they would sue the car owner.

And MIT still has a long list of problems which have yet to be solved.

One thing that I have heard recently as a positive is the freedom it would offer persons with disabilities that keep them from driving.

The first one that shows up to an AACA meet with dirty sensors or an aftermarket computer would receive a deduction...

And if the car shows up by itself, then it will have to come equipped with an AACA approved documentation screen to provide information to the team captain

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

It's amazing how fast technology changes. I am a councilman in a very small PA town. All of our street and warning signs are now inventoried by GPS. They are located within a foot or so by satellite. Amazing. If one needs replaced we just send the guy the GPS coordinates. We could, but don't, also contract with a service that will study satellite pics of our borough each month and notify us of any unauthorized building activity.b

I find our reliance on GPS technology to be somewhat frightening when faced with the realization that it can all be gone with the push of a couple of buttons.  Don't forget that the U.S. military can degrade or curtail GPS availability for the general public ...  at least that was the case 15 or 20 years ago. 

When I first started working with GPS, the U.S. military caused a degraded signal to be sent, resulting in a significant position error (as I recall 30 meters or so).  This error changed from time to time, but the required correction could easily be determined by comparing the GPS location with an accurately known geographical location.  Of course, back in those days of Loran and early satellite navigation, a position error of 30 meters was considered to be pretty good.

Just sayin',

Grog

Driverless cars sound boring to me.

I guess the driverless cars are so the drives, sorry passengers can all talk and text on their cell phone while the car drives itself.

Next thing will be driverless race cars.

The military can still degrade the GPS signals if needed.  

I really don't think this technology has anything to do with passenger cars. YES that is where this technology is developing but I strongly feel that the ultimate goal long term goal is for long distance trucking. There really is no profit to be made for private/pleasure use, however reduce the skill needed to operate a tractor trailer, then the pay can reduced and profits increase. They are already working on technology on backing up..... it's coming

Remember the film 2001 Space Odyssey? I never really understood it until now

• Like 1

I really don't see the point of driverless cars. What's a car without a driver? As for driverless trucks forget it. Put the trailers on train cars. The engineerless train technology is already here. My BIL is an engineer. He has two years to full retirement. He is worried about getting layed off first.

I really don't see the point of driverless cars. What's a car without a driver? As for driverless trucks forget it. Put the trailers on train cars. The engineerless train technology is already here. My BIL is an engineer. He has two years to full retirement. He is worried about getting layed off first.

Easy they will do it to lower the cost of the driver, thus increase the profits. Not local delivery but rather over the road long distance