Ebay Scams

Guest EnterpriseAutoTransport

Hello.  I just wanted to make a quick post here about Ebay scams. I am an auto transporter broker and I run accross this alot. I ship alot of cars of Ebay and want to warn people to always pay thru Ebay and not to pay the seller direct. I post this as a public service because I am really sad for alot of my customers who have purchased cars off Ebay and have been scammed. I am one of the few people who give automated quotes on Ebay. If you buy a car off Ebay chances are you will end up with a quote from my company Enterprise Auto Transport. Once people buy their car many people go thru an auto transport company to ship their car. The first question I always ask the shipper is is the car running. 4/10 we go to pick up cars off Ebay and the car is listed as running and its not. Just recently we went to pick up a cadillac in New Jersey. The shipper told us the car runs and drivers perfect. When the driver arrived the car would not go forward. It only went into reverse. It barely even had enough power to make it up the carrier as their is a bit of a lift. We were lucky the car could even get on the truck. Sometimes these cars do not run and the drivers  will get out there to pick up the car and if he does not have a wench he cant pick up the car and is out time and money so now there are two victims the buyer and the driver. I cant tell you how many times buyer protection has saved a sellers but when hes been scammed. In the case with the cadillac he was able to file a dispute and recoop his fees. Many times i have delivered vehicles only to turn around to pick them right back up and bring them to the auction. The reasons vary but they are for things like the odometer not being what they said, the car is not runing or the vehicle is damaged. The selllers always take the best pics of the car. Often times they will try to pin damage on the drivers but drivers fill out a bill of lading and mark the damage on the car at pick up. When the driver arrives with the damaged car the first inclination is to blame the driver. The bill of lading has saved many a driver but also saved the customer. The moral of this whole story is be careful. Really look at ratings on Ebay but that is not enough. Go thru Ebay. If the seller complains he does not want to go thru Paypal because the fees are too high perhaps you should ask for more photos or call a company to go inspect the vehicle for you. There are many places online that do that. I hope this helps you all.

Guest andregolf4

Hi, this is very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience with us. I was in fact wondering how to buy on Ebay without worring about scams, and this helps a lot. What can you tell me about the inspection companies you mentioned at the very end of your post?

I get a few calls a year to go look at cars that someone has listed on ebay and evaluate the car before the buyer purchase the car.

If they want just a quick once over and my opinion on the car then i usually don't charge anything but if they need a full on evaluation of the car then a small fee to cover my time. If you can't justify flying out or viewing the car in person then it is worth finding a local restoration shop in and having them go inspect the vehicle. 

You are still taking a chance what i might perceive as repairable or not a major issue might be different than your idea of what you're getting, getting a 3rd party to look over the car is a good idea., 

The Original Poster gives some good advice, and from my quick research on the internet, her company, E.A.T., has a good reputation.  Her presentation would have benefited from the efforts of a good proof reader; however, that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

Grog

Hello. Here's an answer to some of your questions

@andregolf4 Many of my customers have used a company called LemonSquad.com. From what I understand they are ASE certified and I believe the work is subcontracted out to different mechanics all over the country. There are many of these "vehicle inspection companies" on google however I can only verify this one as being legit as my customers have had really good experiences with them.

@ramsoneli Yes, I ship cars all the time from copart and manheim auto auctions. Manheim we usually don't run into problems with but Copart we run into a lot of problems especially in New York. Last year or whenever that major hurricane happened all the flood cars were there. When my drivers came to get them they waited hours as many of the cars were in the back in muddy also flooded areas. Well I am sure the title said it was a flood car or did it? I don't know. Most of those cars ended up being resold in Texas. Alot of cars at copart look nice but again based on my personal experience ppl have had alot of bad luck. We have a joke about Copart. We say to Copart run and drives means starts and moves an inch. I always ask the customers if the cars run and they always say yes but its just not the case as many don't. There's a reason theres a forklift on the lot at copart to help load vehicles lol Another place, Insurance auto auctions also seems to have better vehicles.