29 Commander Carb Questions

I have a 1929 FD Commander 8 cyl. with an OX-2 carburetor on it. I've been told that it is incorrect. I thought a U-2 was the correct carburetor, but I am not sure. Also, from where does the OX-2 originate?

• 5 months later...

The 1929 FD commander came with Stromberg UX-2 Stromberg part number A-12792 code number 6-18 (code number was assigned in 1935, so don't expect so find it on the UX-2). As the UX-2 was constructed of a unstable zinc-alloy material which cracks, many owners have found the older brass OX-2 to be a useful alternative.

The "O" series Stromberg (the "X" means cross flange, the "2" means SAE size 2) was the standard Stromberg carburetor beginning about 1920. The "T" series appeared about 1926, and the "U" series about 1928.

Jon.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is kinda old so I don't know if the writer will be checking this. Please see the website www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com (I hope I spelled it all correctly)for reproduction bodies, throttle body, and float top for the U-2 and UX-2. These are aluminum repros. The Dodge Bros Club has been importing them for several years now in batch orders. I have them on three cars and love them. Anyone can join in the batch orders.