1939 Chrysler Dash Overdrive indicator light

Thanks Jack, But both my workshop manuals mention an overdrive indicator light, so where and what is it ?? Also in my work shop manual supplement there is a wiring diagram on page 59 also listing an Overdrive indicator lamp.

Can somebody come to my rescue, the little "jewelled" lamp I am talking about is above dash instrument cluster in dash proper,

Richard

Edited by trickydicky43richard (see edit history)

Hmm, Well, if you have a wiring diagram then I am wrong. Learn something everyday. I suppose that the few ODs I have owned may either not have had an indicator or it didn't work.

If you have the correct wiring diagram then you should have your answer.

I recently went thru trying to figure out where the hi beam indicator should be on a car I am building. It seems that the 46 thru 48 Chrysler dash's will interchange. However on the 46 there is a hi beam indicator as you describe. On the 48 that fitting is not on the dash and the cluster has two idiot lights which are evenly spaced and are both red but one is for hi beam and the other is for turn signals, one indicator for both turns.

Consequently if I am to wire the turn signals one light for either side then there is no provision for a high beam indicator. I didn't note this dilemma until the dash was installed and I am making a wiring harness. I ended up using one of those small lights that came on the front fenders od some 60s and 70s Mopars and mounted it under the dash. Had I used the 46 dash instead of the 48 I would not have had this problem. Haven't driven the thing yet, hope its not to bright.

Anyway good luck with yours, fun stuff ain't it !!

Looking at the master shop manual, the light should illuminate when the o/d switch activates the o/d solenoid; power to the light comes directly from the o/d solenoid.

Sadly none of this answers your original question as to where the indicator is located on the dash. :(

Edited by hchris (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Regarding the 1939 Chrysler I offer the following information...The light on the dashboard with a silver ring around it is the overdrive kick down indicator and not the high beam indicator. The kick down light would illuminate when the accelerator pedal was depressed causing the "Cruise and climb" transmission to downshift out of O/D for greater acceleration or hill climbing ability. Many people have confused this light with the high beam indicator based on its location on the dash however the high beam indicator is actually located in the headlight knob itself...If you look at the knob, it appears that there is a little hole in it, this is where the light is located. Both the kick down and the high beam lights are orange in color. The non O/D cars do not have this kick down light but only a chrome/silver button (without the lens) just as the 6 cylinder cars don't have the spark control knob located above the starter button. Hope this helps.