Wiring info on 1982 Riviera convertible

meteor

Hi, Posted this on the Riviera forum but have not had any responses. Most have earlier model years I guess. I am not getting power to the motor. I have power to the relays and they seem to be working. Does anyone know the source where the power comes from? Would save me lots of time tracing. Sure would like to find a manual. Thanks,Roger

Roger,

Unfortunately you will need to purchase a service manual.  They are available on e-bay and other sellers.

When you say that you are "not getting power to the motor" that is a fairly broad statement. 

On a global answer, you need power from the battery, to the ignition switch, starter, to start the car.

You will also need power to the ECM, the ignition system, etc. for the car to run.

More specific information needs to be given what the car is doing when you turn the ignition switch.

Will look for your answers

I'm guessing the OP is asking about the wiring for the power top motors, correct?  Since this was an aftermarket convertible conversion, the info won't be in the factory service manual.  The information on the convertible conversion and associated wiring would likely need to come from ASC.

Hey Larry, Thanks, I should have been more specific. I am not getting power to the convertible top motor. The switch on the dash was not working but I have since repaired it. However I have voltage to the 2 relays now which are working, but still not getting voltage to the motor. There may be a blown fuse or the hot lead may not be connected. Very hard to trace, lots of water damage and rusted connectors.

Joe, you are right, nothing in the service manual. I reached out to ASC but no response as of yet. I will get it sorted out eventually,but would be a lot easier if I had a schematic.

Thanks,Roger

Roger,

You might try the  Sloan Museum in Flint. I donated all of my materials that I had from that era to them and they should have a wiring diagram if they can find it. 

Here is a link to them.  http://www.sloanmuseum.com/buick-gallery/research/automotive-research

Larry

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)