'37 Dictator Coupe

Guest Redbox

Just arrived today. I am basically the 3rd owner of this rust free original coupe.

The engine runs but I am going to go over everything before I drive the car.

Stay tuned for a lot of questions.

Steve

post-155630-0-09435300-1450127353_thumb.

post-155630-0-81802000-1450127356_thumb.

Good luck with the car. The coupes are one of my favorites (I have a '36 President coupe). Two toning (i.e. fenders/body) was passe' by '37 and unless you special ordered it they were not generally done that way (this was industry wide). Believe they look much better without the two-tone treatment. Just a matter of personal preference.

Did this car live in Idaho? I think that I know the car. I owned a 1937 Dictator coupe in the early eighties (not the same one that I owned). When I sold it several years later, I knew that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Grown men aren't supposed to cry, but I shed a few over that one!

Almost ten years later I responded to an ad in the TW for a 1937 President coupe. The car was a NW car and the owner lived about ten miles from me! Thinking that providence was smiling on me, I was not going to let this one get away. Thus began and eight month odyssey, as the granddaughter of the original owner tried to decide who would be the best owner for the car. Money was not her primary concern. She wanted all suitors to submit a resume, indicating who they were, what they had done in the hobby, and maybe most importantly, that they would promise not to street rod the car. She also wanted all of us to include a sealed bid, but with no indication whether there would be any room for negotiating later. Even though I became friends, her and her mother, there was no sign that I was to be the chosen one.  During that time we went to lunch on a number of occasions, and we talked on the phone about every two weeks.

The process that started in January was still going on in August, as I was preparing to show my 1931 President roadster at Pebble Beach. Whether it was the phone call that I made to her from Monterey, telling her about the show, or had she already chosen me to be "Charlotte A the coupe's" new owner, I will never know, but it worked! We have remained friends for over twenty years, and during that time I never found it appropriate to ask why she chose me. I like a little mystery anyway!

• Like 1

Thanks Redbox, I thought that was the car. Rare enough car under any circumstances, but the colors make it unique

drdon, yes I still have the car and imagine that it will still be mine when I take my last breath!

I'm not very good with pictures and I think I owe then to folks on several different forums, so don't hold your breath or your last breathe might come before mine!

Very classy car! One of my favorite pre-war cars. There's a 37 President coupe just east of London Ontario that was sold new in Ingersoll not far from it's present location, now owned by the 2nd family since new. One of these coupes are on my bucket list, but so far, are out of my financial reach.

It's very nice to see another one, so please post lot's of pictures!