More new(old) stuff!

moose50

Tell me more about Gibbs.  Is it just oil that you spray on?  Does it dry dark, or what?  I'm not planning on painting this anytime soon, I wouldn't want to cover all the history that shows itself through all the rust and little dings.  It would be like painting over the beautiful wood grain in an old cabinet.  I'm considering lightly sanding then using clear spar urethane.  Other stuff I've done looks really nice after a treatment.  It darkens the rust a bit, kinda like wetting it.  I figure then as long as I keep it out of the rain and off salted roads it would last quite a while.

Best I can say is google Gibbs. It is a penetrating fluid, I won't call it an oil. I buy it by the case. Antique tractor guys use it for everything, is an excellent starting fluid. It will not cause damage like normal staring fluid. It doesn't REALLY dry, it will soak in and stay semifluid.  If you've ever seen hotrods shown in bare metal, most are coated with Gibbs . Bombshell Betty was raced at Bonneville in bare steel with Gibbs, google that!! I have project cars that I spray once a year, keeps them from rusting. But it apparently contains no silicone or oils, because it can be painted over with no fish eyes. Use WD40 and it's about impossible to do that. It creeps too, if you spray it here it will migrate there. I have taken off very rusty bolts or nuts that I gave one shot and left soak. When the nut comes off it had migrated under all the threads because the whole bolt is wet. It will darken your truck a little but you won't have to sand it off like urethane. Not sure where you are located, I found a dealer in southern Pa. First time I bought it was from Roadsters.com in Arizona For what it's worth, I would never change that truck! You could spend thousands of dollars and ruin it from ever being used the way you are currently using it. I'd still be proud to take it to ANY show in it's present condition too. Your last picture say it all for enjoyment!!

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest 1935 Dodge Van

I don't think we will ever be sure about the original veracity of the assembly of our Commercial Cars. Especially ones made before 1935 or so. I know of cars built at the end of the model year that had parts from the next year installed on them. However from about 1935 onward when bodies became more one piece steel and less coach built Ive seen much less "odd" parts used in them. (I have seen many trucks using "cadet" visors over the windshield long after they had been discarded by autos. )I think trucks from 1/2ton upwards were used to make money and not like the glitzy RAMs we see around today with the  Misses taking the kids shopping. I don't think a  company would look twice at a truck's assembly as long as it did the job.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Looks great !  What roofing are you going to use ? Did you have any original sample left .

The original was mostly gone, but it was faded black, dried out  and smooth no grain.  I bought a piece from Lang's for Model T's.  Figure they would have used something about the same?

I have not seen Lang's yet . But I have seen the long grain used on some Model A's and that does not look like mine . Mine is original 1931 Chase Drednuat Co . It is a thin and lightly , short grained material .I guess originally called oil cloth . As the base is a woven material . I have found Haartz Fabric to reproduce ,what sounds like something similar .

I am curios on the fabric you have gotten know ,maybe with slight grain . Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Brothers-Motor-Legacy-Great/product-reviews/0814332463

Page 172 "For that year(1925) Dodge Brothers shipped 22,293 commercial cars and another 186 trucks with under one-ton capacity rating, probably their three-quarter-ton pickup."

As it turns out, my "pickup" is one of 58,733 Commercial cars and trucks built in 1927.

Edited by moose50 (see edit history)

On 3/29/2017 at 2:06 PM, moose50 said:

Here is the "finished" product.  I think it looks pretty good.  The only way to see it is to go in the bed of the truck, or climb a ladder.  I'm 6'4" and it's 2 or 3 inches taller than me!

IMG_20170329_163140.jpg

Here is piece I found on my 29 truck. The gain runs lengthways.IMG_3080.thumb.JPG.0f6e4c1b5d00dc56cb15aca69841e043.JPG  

• Like 2

Hello Stakeside Your grain looks like mine . I just do not have as good example . Do you have a close up of your new and does it match to long grain ?

Is your backing white on it ? Seems a small piece of your pic sample shows that . Was wondering also if any printing on the white .? Mine was on the back inside directly above rear pickup window . It says  4   CHASE  31   , SUPER LUSTRE  ,  DREDNAUT .  All components that are dated on my truck seem to be made in early 1931 .

19 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Hello Stakeside Your grain looks like mine . I just do not have as good example . Do you have a close up of your new and does it match to long grain ?

Is your backing white on it ? Seems a small piece of your pic sample shows that . Was wondering also if any printing on the white .? Mine was on the back inside directly above rear pickup window . It says  4   CHASE  31   , SUPER LUSTRE  ,  DREDNAUT .  All components that are dated on my truck seem to be made in early 1931 .

Have small piece of original. No white backing.

I will send picture of new material when I find it. I am sure I can get a good match.