Trunk cardboard

buick5563

Can somebody please enlighten me with the authentic way to restore a mid 50's trunk interior?

1954 Skykark pictures below show one restored and one original. In the pictures it appears to be the same patterned cardboard as 55 small series Buicks. The restored one is clearly not the same material. I would gladly welcome other people's photographs of how the lack of available correct material has been addressed.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

post-77619-0-32813900-1449786144_thumb.j

post-77619-0-57128600-1449786158_thumb.j

I chose to match the lighter tan color (custom matched at a paint store) of the two toned original. The flash from my camera lightened the color. I assure all of you that it is exactly the color of the original.

I then sprayed the custom made plastic made for me by the guy who makes the kickwall pads. I preferred the texture on his plastic to the plain cardboard available at the time from my local upholstery shop.

Oh...speaking of which, what do you guys do about the firewall insulators that were originally flat molded cardboard, but are now this textured jet black ABS plastic?

post-77619-0-17731900-1449789294_thumb.j

post-77619-0-54541500-1449789306_thumb.j

You sir, should restore some originals.  After all they restore 400 year old paintings all the time and your cars are not nearly that old!  And just keep those tinder dry firewall pads --- I say tinder because that is what they are at this point and will burn very easily!  Very, very easily and you won't put it out with that fire extinguisher the BCA requires at the shows.

• Like 2

AACA Senior Grand National First and Meadowbrook Concours invitee.

Same plastic firewall pad and incorrect trunk cardboard.

And a steel wheel spare on a wire wheel (tubeless repros) car. And enamel paint. And home made date coded glass. And home made wire harnesses with non authentic wrap. And poor hood margins. And slightly wrong gloss engine bay paint, And a really shitty Jenkin$ interior. And deck lid sound deadener that's close but no cigar. etc etc etc.

Senior AACA grand nats, BCA gold (398 or 399 points I think), and a few sundry concours awards.

Like I said somewhere else here I'd literally bet the farm there isn't a highly awarded car ANYWHERE that came from the factory looking like it does now and that doesn't have a few warts.

Wear em proudly boys, wear em proudly...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Sorry we led you astray...or did we create a monster?

Remember at some point everyone says "______-it, that's good enough"  Some of us just take longer to say it!

I also restore to the requirements of the organization putting on the show, which in my case is only the BCA.  I have never done an AACA show, but would have everything up to their guidelines.  (it was an AACA judge at the BCA meet that deducted 2 points for grease fittings that were not plated...hell, I could have pointed out lots of places for deductions so he did not have to get on his knees)

Willie

• Like 5

I shudder at the possibility that I may have to replace the cardboard in my 60 trunk.  I know I can't find the right printed cardboard.  I would, however, cover new cardboard with the correct looking material and call it a day.  Or I might just paint it the "close enough" red hue and throw it in the trunk.  At least it will look nice.

Cheers indeed, me thinks you's made your points my friends, now can we get back to our regularly scheduled program. You all do know how to avoid all the complications of correct restorations don't you? Just buy all original low mileage cars that don't need no resterashun,  like I do. :P:DB)post-77380-0-86563600-1449978845_thumb.j

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Not being use to makeshift even when .... - what is the solution to the cardboard issue in the trunk as I have a Roadmaster that needs new cardboard as original is just too scraped up.

If it was made by the hand of man it can be made again. All we are talking here is the will to do so and $$$$$$$$$$$$$..................Bob