Radiator Problem

Jim Bird

The rad in my 1990 16 valve is leaking again. I had it repaired some months ago at a local rad shop but now less than a 1000 miles later it is leaking again. The leak is along the seam from the end tank( on the intercooler side ) to the rad core itself. Is this type of leak considered to be repairable?  I think that they only re-crimped the seam last time.

Can anyone suggest a source for a new rad? Neither Rock Auto nor the Parts Geek list this rad on-line.  

The rad in my 1990 16 valve is leaking again. I had it repaired some months ago at a local rad shop but now less than a 1000 miles later it is leaking again. The leak is along the seam from the end tank( on the intercooler side ) to the rad core itself. Is this type of leak considered to be repairable?  I think that they only re-crimped the seam last time.

Can anyone suggest a source for a new rad? Neither Rock Auto nor the Parts Geek list this rad on-line.  

You may need to find an alternative model radiator. The factory part number of your radiator is 4401674. 

Since the cores and the end tanks are brass a competent radiator shop or welding shop should be able to fix it as long as the metal itself is ok.

There are no direct replacements available from any aftermarket company in the US. Recently it was found that there is a possible replacement available in Mexico (almost ALL of their turbo cars were intercooled due to fuel quality and altitude), but nobody has been able to source one in the US as of yet that I know of.

There is an option, if you can get one, Turbos Unleashed has made a few batches of aluminum direct replacement TII radiators (what is used in the Masi). I don't know if he has any left however. They weren't cheap, but well made.

Since the cores and the end tanks are brass a competent radiator shop or welding shop should be able to fix it as long as the metal itself is ok.

There are no direct replacements available from any aftermarket company in the US. Recently it was found that there is a possible replacement available in Mexico (almost ALL of their turbo cars were intercooled due to fuel quality and altitude), but nobody has been able to source one in the US as of yet that I know of.

There is an option, if you can get one, Turbos Unleashed has made a few batches of aluminum direct replacement TII radiators (what is used in the Masi). I don't know if he has any left however. They weren't cheap, but well made.

To begin with, when I said Factory, i did mean Chrysler part number.

Now, if the end tanks are brass, as Reaper1 states above, then the radiator you have should be able to be repaired. 

I do have 2 radiators in my inventory for the 1989 TC with the single overhead cam engine, as spares for mine, should I ever need one.

As I recall, the 90-91 radiators are different, looking more like those that continued through the 90s in other FWD cars, this being that from 90 on all the cars had Air-Bags and the entire front core support was changed. For anyone who might be in dire need of an 89 radiator for an 8 valve engine with intercooler, I suppose I could sell one.

Thanks Reaper1. That sure looks like the correct rad. I am waiting for him to get back to me with dimensions. I had a very similar rad lined up locally (from a Dodge turbo) complete with intercooler, but the core was one inch taller and the filler cap was mounted a little higher with the result that the hood would not close.